Aug 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie bought our first motorhome 7months ago and love it
We've been looking into purchasing a burstner elegance 810
There are considerable savings on LHD, we were given the salesman talk about being able to sell it in Europe and not restricted to the uk market as a rhd,
Just wondering how many of you own a LHD and what are the advantages and disadvantages ?
Thanks in advance

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I have a LHD Hymer .. not found any disadvantages... last van was also LHD (36ft RV)

I wouldn't want a RHD Hymer as the drivers door is then on the passenger side..

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Cheaper... Cheaper...cheaper! If not you need to buy in Europe!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
That's a big beastie but very nice indeed.

The only time I have any difficulty is in the UK when turning left out of a junction. As you approach and start to turn left you will have some obscured vision to the right. But this is only anything of a slight issue when on your own! But I find I can see through the RHS habitation window, although on the longer Burstner this may not be so easy.

If you travel abroad then it comes into it's own!

I don't know the Burstner that well, but certainly with a Hymer it's advantages all the way...from the single cab door being on the drivers side to the windscreen wipers giving the driver the correct wipe pattern.

Jun 19, 2014
Wimborne
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral+ 670SL
Exp
No longer a newbie
Advantage of LHD - it is great outside the UK. Disadvantage - not so good in the UK.

Advantage of RHD - it is great in the UK. Disadvantage - not so good outside.

Apart from the points you make, it might boil down to how much time you are going to spend where.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Used to have LHD Hobby.. had it a couple of years in fact
No real disadvantages at all to be honest
Not as if the average motorhome is gonna have enough oomph to over take on single carriageway roads anyway, and that would be the time I would worry !

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
All of our last 3 vans have been left hand drive. Unless you are going to stay in the UK all the time, it makes sense to have a lefty.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Had our LHD Carthago since March and love it, particularly in France.
But, if it's your first A class and LHD it did take a bit of getting used to. The navigator was constantly yelling at me to move over particularly when trucks were heading in her direction.
As soon as we got to France I had no problem and now it's second nature to keep well to my side of the road.
When we were looking I really didn't fancy having the only cab door on the passenger side. It is so much easier when refuelling and using toll booths etc. to be able to just nip out rather than having to go round the sun to meet the moon.

Richard.

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
We have a LHD too and I agree with everything said above. A little awkward at times when pulling out to turn left in the UK if you're on your own. I wanted it because most of our travelling will be in Europe, but I haven't found it much of a problem in the UK.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
We have a LHD too and I agree with everything said above. A little awkward at times when pulling out to turn left in the UK if you're on your own. I wanted it because most of our travelling will be in Europe, but I haven't found it much of a problem in the UK.
If your reversing system has a second input, you could aim a second camera through the passenger's window, it's not so good for judging speed and distance of an approaching vehicle, but at least you could see it coming.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Never had a RHD, 3 motor homes over 20 years, wouldn't really consider a RHD one now, no disadvantage really in the UK apart from the occasional offset junction as others have posted, but you learn to face a bit straighter at these, and a definite bonus when in Europe.No lack of buyers here either. If you like the van, the layout and the price, get it bought!

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now 😢
Exp
We have a RHD 810 elegance 3 litre auto and love it, we do most of our holidays abroad and husband does not struggle with it. To be honest if it was LHD I would constantly be asking him to get away / out of the ditches I always have to remind him in a hire car.
Unless the angles are extreme the mirrors are so good that he rarely needs my help pulling out. (So will probably be just as good in Uk in a LHD). It is my job to deal with the toll booths, though we could get a toll tag. A new model is coming out next summer, the range are going more light weight. From what I have seen of the other new models so far I prefer ours. We have replaced the huge table top in ours with a smaller one. Unless you are very light weight / travel light the payload is not high enough for 2 extra adults in the additional belts but you can get an uprate on this. The dealer might do it for you. If you want any more info on how we find it just PM me.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I'm another Lefty wouldn't have anything else now, 80% of our mileage is over the water. A big advantage is when it comes to changing vans, you can sell or trade in any country. With a RHD only saleable in the UK.

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Me too. No real problems at all. And you don't get told off for being to close to the kerb!!! :)

OP
OP
TheDentons

TheDentons

Free Member
Aug 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie bought our first motorhome 7months ago and love it
Thanks for all your information. very helpful. Will go and take another look

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
RHD are cheaper to insure, apart from that I find driving them about the same, except you can admire the young ladies walking in the UK at a closer distance with a LHD . lol

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Owners of LHD vans will sing their praises. Owners of RHD will sing thier praises .
Cheaper to buy but cheaper come sell time and less people wanting to buy.
It's the same with all vehicles with the exception of yank metal.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I dont think much difference in insurance at all.....my company safeguard don't charge more. 9 vans over 25 years we have saved over £100,000..:Eeek:

Its a no brainer IMO if you only want European manafactured vans...as prices here well over the top for vans that should be £2000 more tops. You see some at £25,0000 more for identical rhd. And I'm talking about 3500 kg vans, larger luxary vans can be £50,000+ cheaper lhd

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I've got a LHD Hymer and don't find any problems but my wife sometimes winces when HGV's come the other way on country roads.
I find it OK because I can judge how close to the kerb I am.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
More than happy with LHD as I can get well over to the left side of the road in the UK where traffic is much busier, if there is a blind spot occasionally turning left I always have a co driver. The blind spot is made worse the further back you sit to drive so another argument for the forward position of vans built on the IVECO daily chassis.

Yes I would say that as we have LHD but if I ordered a new van it would be LHD also.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I've got a LHD Hymer and don't find any problems but my wife sometimes winces when HGV's come the other way on country roads.

I was typing as you posted but agree 100%.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

Formally known as the suicide seat!:D

Buy her a kindle....they get used to it believe you me:)

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Formally known as the suicide seat!:D

Buy her a kindle....they get used to it believe you me:)

I'm the wife in the 'suicide' seat, I do get used to it but it's difficult to not wince when you see how close some of the lorries get and some car drivers that think they can get thru any gap!
I love it when i get the 'look' from oncoming traffic I always think I ought to put my hands over my eyes or something-they think I'm the driver!

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I'm the wife in the 'suicide' seat, I do get used to it but it's difficult to not wince when you see how close some of the lorries get and some car drivers that think they can get thru any gap!
I love it when i get the 'look' from oncoming traffic I always think I ought to put my hands over my eyes or something-they think I'm the driver!

For toght gaps I just pull in tight (easy with lhd) and let the vehicle coming towards us do the manovering...never has s bump yet.

Must admit on the few occasions Mrs M drives I don't like the suicide seat either...

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Owners of LHD vans will sing their praises. Owners of RHD will sing thier praises .
Cheaper to buy but cheaper come sell time and less people wanting to buy.
It's the same with all vehicles with the exception of yank metal.

I didn't, I said I hadn't found a disadvantage of driving a LHD and pointed out the fact that a RHD 'A class' will invariably have the cab door on the passenger side.. a distinct disadvantage, irrespective of using in the UK or the continent.

My insurance wasn't loaded for being LHD

If you go abroad more than you tour the UK, a LHD is a distinct advantage

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Have had a few LHD vehicles in my time. The main disadvantage is when you make sharp turns at junctions and with modern camera systems that can be overcome. It can be a bit tricky overtaking at times until you get the hang of it but again a decent camera and you are fine.

If the right van was available at the right price LHD would not put me off :)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
The only negative I have found with our LHD is that I have to do the tolls on the motorway in France that I didn't have to do before :):)

Yes, forgot about tolls and having to get out to do them in the UK with no co-pilot.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back