LHD headlights (1 Viewer)

Jul 21, 2016
Kernow
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
New
Can anyone help please? I have just collected a LHD Hymer (Fiat) and need to change the headlights for UK registration. I have seen a few posts about buying new RHD lights but also seen that the internals can be rotated to achieve the correct dipping.

Does anyone have experience either way please? My intention is to use it predominantly abroad, hence the LHD, so was trying to avoid buying new lights that would then be changed back again. Apparently the deflectors on LHD lights are adequate for UK MOTs.

Microchip

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2005
We had a Hyymer B584, and rotating the dipped lens was a bit of a struggle, I kept the screws well oiled and left them a little loose to make it easy to rotate.
No problem for mot.
Keith

OP
OP
Pjstingray
Jul 21, 2016
Kernow
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
New
Thanks Keith - added avatar as I see we share hobbies.

I was trying to get my head around the rotating concept, as I would have thought that rotating would actually make lights go up instead of dip? Obviously it is 90º rotation?

PJ

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
You don't need to buy new headlights they can be adjusted for UK use.
Depending which Hymer it is headlights are a hugely expensive item.
Good luck (y)

OP
OP
Pjstingray
Jul 21, 2016
Kernow
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
New
You don't need to buy new headlights they can be adjusted for UK use.
Depending which Hymer it is headlights are a hugely expensive item.
Good luck (y)
Thanks Forestboy - do you know of any links to method for this operation please? It is a 2016 Low profile Hymer SL on a Fiat Cab

Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
Hi, we had a year 2000 LHD Hymer B584 (great van). The lights were set for UK driving. I tried on more than one occasion to rotate the headlight mechanism for use in Europe but could never manage to budge them despite having the method and instructions.
I think the main problem was with access to the part that needs to be rotated - even changing the headlight bulb is a chore, taking the best part of a day because I had to remove the wheel-arch inner lining. If you know someone with a pit it would make the job easier.

For the headlight alignment I decided to resort to stick-on deflectors - much easier, quicker and no-one challenged me when abroad.

Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
When looking on the PC for the old instructions on how to rotate the lights I came across this pic (it's not me!) of another Motorhomer - he was adjusting his headlights!

Attachments

• headlight adjust.jpg
    headlight adjust.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 63

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
If its an A class, so using hymer supplied lamps, then I would expect the lights to have adjustment lever in rear of lights. Our 2013 A class does.
If its Fiat cab, ie Fiat van lamps, I think, but am not sure, you will need new lights to get uk beam pattern.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
I think you will find that everyone saying you can rotate the lights have pre 2008 b-class hymers fitted with individual Hella headlamps. On the later b-class and Exsis I vans (post 2008) with the Hella integrated light units there is a lever inside the unit to switch to a flat beam. Unfortunately on the non-integrated vans such as the Tramp and Exsis t ranges, as you don't have the Hella lights but have a std Fiat cab with Fiat lights, you can't adjust anything and the only option is to replace the lights with RHD units.

As you say, you can pass the MOT with beam deflectors, but will have trouble passing VCA or IVA tests so might find getting it registered here troublesome without switching them.

Sorry:-(

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Worry not, it is very easy when you know how. I do it once a year on my B544SL.

There is a grey triangular panel above each light, this is held on by three screws sunk in recessed holes, remove these and the panel can be taken off.

You will then see three bolts holding the lamp unit in, two easy to get to, one at the top where you need to get your hand behind it to hold the nut but no real problem.

Having undone these bolts you can pull the light unit forward - you may have to manipulate it a little but it will come out. Pull the rubber boot off and you will see a little lever inside - just move that (can't remember which way but you will see what I mean) it doesn't go that far, just move it to the stop. Job done! Replace in reverse order, I put a little grease on the bolts to make it easier to remove.

I understand that you can do it without removing the light unit but I tried and gave up, the above method is easier.

Mike

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Thanks Forestboy - do you know of any links to method for this operation please? It is a 2016 Low profile Hymer SL on a Fiat Cab

Sorry mines older than yours with different lights.

There you go @Xabia given you all the info you need, didn't take long eh!

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
If its on a Fiat cab like you say then its a trip to the dealer. £150 each but then you can sell them afterwards if you want to.
I kept both sets and when i go abroad i just swap them over and then put the uk ones back in when home.
Takes about a minute a side to swap,only 2 screws holing them in.

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Thanks Keith - added avatar as I see we share hobbies.

I was trying to get my head around the rotating concept, as I would have thought that rotating would actually make lights go up instead of dip? Obviously it is 90º rotation?

PJ
Totally different vehicle, but on my Mercedes Based Hymer S820 it was only necessary to rotate the headlamps by 15 degrees to achieve the LHD dipping

Andrew

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
As others have said. If it's a T SL, you will need to buy the new headlights. We imported a T SL last year, bought the new headlights from Fiat, and fitted them ourselves in around an hour. Not a difficult job, and we're not practical types!

OP
OP
Pjstingray
Jul 21, 2016
Kernow
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
New
Thanks everyone for the swift and very helpful replies. Unlike many other forums I have been a member of I wasn't instantly bombarded with sarcasm from the so called experts - a lifelong biker myself, but the bike forums are the worst :)

So, it looks like I will be buying some UK lights and swapping them for each trip if that easy. Thanks tonyl for the shop4parts link.

Now paid up member:)

OP
OP
Pjstingray
Jul 21, 2016
Kernow
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
New
As others have said. If it's a T SL, you will need to buy the new headlights. We imported a T SL last year, bought the new headlights from Fiat, and fitted them ourselves in around an hour. Not a difficult job, and we're not practical types!
How much did you pay through Fiat please bellabee?

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
My RHD car passed an MoT with stickers on but that was years ago.

I would ask my friendly local MoT man before going further but I prefer the simplistic and cheap solutions.

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
We don't have MOT's on the Island but we do have a strict importation test and for that I had to change to headlights and speedo for it to pass. I bought my headlights from Ebay and paid £60 each. I asked the question at the time and was told that for the UK MOY it is not necessary to change the lights and that bam benders would suffice.

I wish our rues were the same. I now have to use beam benders on RHD drive lights and have an MPH speedo when I spend most of my time in Europe!

OP
OP
Pjstingray
Jul 21, 2016
Kernow
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
New
We don't have MOT's on the Island but we do have a strict importation test and for that I had to change to headlights and speedo for it to pass. I bought my headlights from Ebay and paid £60 each. I asked the question at the time and was told that for the UK MOY it is not necessary to change the lights and that bam benders would suffice.

I wish our rues were the same. I now have to use beam benders on RHD drive lights and have an MPH speedo when I spend most of my time in Europe!
My intention is to revert to LHD lights once registered and change for each trip. I have ordered a speedo with both KPH and MPH but could only get one with the MPH as the large dial - would have preferred it the other way around. However, I generally use the SatNav for speed info which can be set to either and warns of "hazards". Worked fine on the journey back from Belgium.

OP
OP
Pjstingray
Jul 21, 2016
Kernow
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
New
If its on a Fiat cab like you say then its a trip to the dealer. £150 each but then you can sell them afterwards if you want to.
I kept both sets and when i go abroad i just swap them over and then put the uk ones back in when home.
Takes about a minute a side to swap,only 2 screws holing them in.

Just been quoted £205 inc - looks like shop4parts might be a better deal.

OP
OP
Pjstingray
Jul 21, 2016
Kernow
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
New
May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
How much did you pay through Fiat please bellabee?

I can't remember exactly, but I think it was around £135 each. I don't know whether the worsened exchange rate would affect that, though.

On another point, if you do decide to change them back to LHD ones again, it may be best to check with your insurer that it won't affect your cover.

We've stored our LHD ones away, as at some point in the future (exchange rates willing), we may well trade the current vehicle against a new one in Germany. I can't imagine that we'd ever buy new in the UK, and we prefer LHD.

Hope you enjoy your new van as much as we're enjoying ours.

OP
OP
Pjstingray
Jul 21, 2016
Kernow
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
New
I can't remember exactly, but I think it was around £135 each. I don't know whether the worsened exchange rate would affect that, though.

On another point, if you do decide to change them back to LHD ones again, it may be best to check with your insurer that it won't affect your cover.

We've stored our LHD ones away, as at some point in the future (exchange rates willing), we may well trade the current vehicle against a new one in Germany. I can't imagine that we'd ever buy new in the UK, and we prefer LHD.

Hope you enjoy your new van as much as we're enjoying ours.

I think my quote today from Fiat of £205 inc was a bit heavy, but he wasn't sure of the correct part as the VIN shows it needs LHD lights obviously.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Thanks everyone for the swift and very helpful replies. Unlike many other forums I have been a member of I wasn't instantly bombarded with sarcasm from the so called experts - a lifelong biker myself, but the bike forums are the worst :)

So, it looks like I will be buying some UK lights and swapping them for each trip if that easy. Thanks tonyl for the shop4parts link.

Now paid up member:)

Welcome(y)
You're not wrong about bike forums no holds barred that's for sure I'm in a couple myself bloody hell they'd come to blows if face to face.:eek:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Would a LHD MH pass an MoT with gender benders stuck on the lights?
Yes but you can't register it like that.
To pass an inspection for the VCA they must be RHD headlamps or adjusted to flat dipping the latter only applies to A Class vans with Hella projector headlamps.

Tony M

Free Member
Jan 25, 2016
Barnstaple
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 1985
You will definitely have to change the lights to satisfy the VCA. If your new van has the LED daytime running lights built into the units then the cost will be over 700 quid for the pair. I speak from experience as I imported a new one earlier this year.
I immediately put the original lhd ones back on as we only use the van on the continent so now have a pair of rhd ones for sale.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back