LHD headlights

Discussion in 'Hymer' started by Pjstingray, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Pjstingray

Pjstingray Funster

Can anyone help please? I have just collected a LHD Hymer (Fiat) and need to change the headlights for UK registration. I have seen a few posts about buying new RHD lights but also seen that the internals can be rotated to achieve the correct dipping.

Does anyone have experience either way please? My intention is to use it predominantly abroad, hence the LHD, so was trying to avoid buying new lights that would then be changed back again. Apparently the deflectors on LHD lights are adequate for UK MOTs.

2. Microchip

Microchip Funster

We had a Hyymer B584, and rotating the dipped lens was a bit of a struggle, I kept the screws well oiled and left them a little loose to make it easy to rotate.
    No problem for mot.
    Keith

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Pjstingray

Pjstingray Funster

Thanks Keith - added avatar as I see we share hobbies.

I was trying to get my head around the rotating concept, as I would have thought that rotating would actually make lights go up instead of dip? Obviously it is 90º rotation?

PJ

• Like Like x 1
  4. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

You don't need to buy new headlights they can be adjusted for UK use.
    Depending which Hymer it is headlights are a hugely expensive item.
    Good luck (y)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Pjstingray

Pjstingray Funster

Thanks Forestboy - do you know of any links to method for this operation please? It is a 2016 Low profile Hymer SL on a Fiat Cab

6. johnandi

johnandi Funster

Hi, we had a year 2000 LHD Hymer B584 (great van). The lights were set for UK driving. I tried on more than one occasion to rotate the headlight mechanism for use in Europe but could never manage to budge them despite having the method and instructions.
    I think the main problem was with access to the part that needs to be rotated - even changing the headlight bulb is a chore, taking the best part of a day because I had to remove the wheel-arch inner lining. If you know someone with a pit it would make the job easier.

For the headlight alignment I decided to resort to stick-on deflectors - much easier, quicker and no-one challenged me when abroad.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. johnandi

johnandi Funster

When looking on the PC for the old instructions on how to rotate the lights I came across this pic (it's not me!) of another Motorhomer - he was adjusting his headlights!

Attached Files:

• Funny Funny x 3
  8. johnandi

johnandi Funster

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. SandraL

SandraL Funster

If its an A class, so using hymer supplied lamps, then I would expect the lights to have adjustment lever in rear of lights. Our 2013 A class does.
    If its Fiat cab, ie Fiat van lamps, I think, but am not sure, you will need new lights to get uk beam pattern.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Jenben

Jenben Funster

I think you will find that everyone saying you can rotate the lights have pre 2008 b-class hymers fitted with individual Hella headlamps. On the later b-class and Exsis I vans (post 2008) with the Hella integrated light units there is a lever inside the unit to switch to a flat beam. Unfortunately on the non-integrated vans such as the Tramp and Exsis t ranges, as you don't have the Hella lights but have a std Fiat cab with Fiat lights, you can't adjust anything and the only option is to replace the lights with RHD units.

As you say, you can pass the MOT with beam deflectors, but will have trouble passing VCA or IVA tests so might find getting it registered here troublesome without switching them.

Sorry:-(

• Useful Useful x 2
  11. Xabia

Xabia Funster

Worry not, it is very easy when you know how. I do it once a year on my B544SL.

There is a grey triangular panel above each light, this is held on by three screws sunk in recessed holes, remove these and the panel can be taken off.

You will then see three bolts holding the lamp unit in, two easy to get to, one at the top where you need to get your hand behind it to hold the nut but no real problem.

Having undone these bolts you can pull the light unit forward - you may have to manipulate it a little but it will come out. Pull the rubber boot off and you will see a little lever inside - just move that (can't remember which way but you will see what I mean) it doesn't go that far, just move it to the stop. Job done! Replace in reverse order, I put a little grease on the bolts to make it easier to remove.

I understand that you can do it without removing the light unit but I tried and gave up, the above method is easier.

Mike

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Sorry mines older than yours with different lights.

There you go @Xabia given you all the info you need, didn't take long eh!

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. tonyl

tonyl Funster

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. Rob Turner

Rob Turner Funster

If its on a Fiat cab like you say then its a trip to the dealer. £150 each but then you can sell them afterwards if you want to.
    I kept both sets and when i go abroad i just swap them over and then put the uk ones back in when home.
    Takes about a minute a side to swap,only 2 screws holing them in.

• Like Like x 1
  15. androidGB

androidGB Funster

Totally different vehicle, but on my Mercedes Based Hymer S820 it was only necessary to rotate the headlamps by 15 degrees to achieve the LHD dipping

Andrew

16. bellabee

bellabee Funster

As others have said. If it's a T SL, you will need to buy the new headlights. We imported a T SL last year, bought the new headlights from Fiat, and fitted them ourselves in around an hour. Not a difficult job, and we're not practical types!

17. Lot lover

Lot lover Funster

Would a LHD MH pass an MoT with gender benders stuck on the lights?

18. Pjstingray

Pjstingray Funster

Thanks everyone for the swift and very helpful replies. Unlike many other forums I have been a member of I wasn't instantly bombarded with sarcasm from the so called experts - a lifelong biker myself, but the bike forums are the worst :)

So, it looks like I will be buying some UK lights and swapping them for each trip if that easy. Thanks tonyl for the shop4parts link.

Now paid up member:)

• Like Like x 3
  19. Pjstingray

Pjstingray Funster

How much did you pay through Fiat please bellabee?

20. Pjstingray

Pjstingray Funster

Many have said yes - my friend has been doing it for 7 years with no problems.