LHD Exhaust for Ducato 2.8TDi (May-98 to Jan-02)

Discussion in 'Fiat' started by JockandRita, Nov 26, 2014.

1. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

Hello all. :)

Having made extensive enquiries, I can't get hold of an exhaust here in the UK, for a LHD 99 Ducato 2.8 TDi, and it was even suggested by Bosal direct, that it would have been specially made for the converter, so only Hymer would be able to supply. :eek: That is absolute rubbish. (n) (n)(n)
    It is a standard Ducato exhaust, with an after market tail pipe extension added, to bring the exhaust out from under the bodywork.

I don't want to fit a RHD exhaust for the obvious reason of the tail pipe exiting the bodywork, right under the habitation door. My mate who does all the major work on the MH for me, offered to fabricate and weld on brackets to the underside of a RHD exhaust, thereby allowing it to be fitted as a LHD exhaust, but for me, that would be as a last resort. :(

I can't get a complete stainless steel exhaust made up locally, as nowhere that does them, has a premises entrance tall enough to accept the MH over their pit.

It turns out that I can get a standard LHD exhaust from the EU (excluding down pipe and catalytic convertor) for £58.00 plus £11.50 for delivery. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CITROEN-J...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2324ef443f

I think that is a good price, as it has a 30 month warranty and it's made by Thyssen-Krupp, so it's not cheap and nasty. (y) National Tyres have just quoted £259 for a RHD exhaust, albeit fitted. :eek:

Has anyone got any other sources for LHD exhausts?

Cheers,

Jock.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Kwikenzee Fitten in Deutchland :LOL:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Pilote87

Pilote87 Funster

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

Jock get the one Frome Germany if the cat and down pipe is ok and if so just swap over that will save you all the stress than just get your friend to fit it,
    job done bill

• Like Like x 1
  5. Al-Di

Al-Di Funster

Jock, have just fitted the same one that you have listed to my eura mobil, had to alter the curve slightly to come through Alco chassis, from ordering it took 4 days, well pleased and seems good quality, it comes in 2 pieces with a connector and full fitting kit, he also does the cat pipe or even a decat pipe,

Alan,

• Like Like x 2
  6. JockandRita

Thanks J.
    It's a 2.8TDi (same as Peugeot and Citroen 2.8 HDi) 1999 year. I did get as far as the exhaust page, but was then overcome with fright. :LOL:

That's looking like the plan Bill, unless something more local pops up, although that's extremely doubtful. The down pipe and CAT are fine for now.

Thanks Alan.
    The only reason I'm looking at replacing it is because there is a split at the seam on the front box, although it's not leaking yet. However, I'd prefer to get it all sorted before the MOT due next May. It is still the original factory fitted exhaust. A couple of the hanging brackets rotted away, so my mate fabricated new ones and welded them on. They are much better than the originals. (y)

Apart from going in and out of storage occasionally, the MH never does short journeys, and going away is always more than an hour away, so it gets a good blow out, hence it's long life.

Cheers for now,

Jock. :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Daedalus

Daedalus Funster

Hi Jock

Don't know how far you're prepared to travel to have a stainless steel system fitted to your vehicle, but, these guys ( http://www.ullswaterroadgarage.co.uk/pages/custom_built_exhaust_systems.html ) will build and fit to just about any vehicle. My buddy has just had one made and fitted to his Fiat based Rapido.

They will have no problem getting your vehicle inside - they do MOT's on all manner of motorhomes.

I haven't personally had any work done by them, had dealings with them in a previous life (on the MOT side), however, my buddy swears by them.

On the other hand, you could take a look at - http://www.longlife.co.uk/dealer-locator/

JT Autos, Unit 1b Freeman Road, North Hykeham, Lincoln, LN6 9AP
    Telephone 01522 898003
    Email lincoln@longlife.co.uk
    OPENING HOURS Mon – Fri 8.30am - 6.00pm Sat 8.30am – 12.00pm
    Sun By Appointment

I had a stainless steel exhaust fitted to my old E650 by their nearest depot to my location, no problems, custom built pipework (the silencer boxes are ordered in prior to the build).

Not cheap, but they are guaranteed for life.

• Like Like x 1
  8. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

That's good to know seeing as I live in Kendal - and use Ullswater Road Garage for motorhome MoTs. :D:D

9. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

Just a reminder your motorhome does not have to be LHD to have this problem, as our last and present have a continental habition door. :LOL:
    If you are planning keeping it a long while it is worth getting a s /steel exhaust. (y)
    But as we spend time oñ the continent we would have one fitted over here.:D
    So Jock load Rita in the van, and we will see you down here sometime this winter. (y) :ROFLMAO: Bob.

• Like Like x 1
  10. JockandRita

Bob, you know you are addressing the wrong half, as we would have been snowbirding years ago if I had my way. ;)

Cheers for now, :)

Jock.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ciderman

ciderman Funster

jock I have just had the same problem it was just the rear section on mine so I bought some stainless tube, mandrel bends 90, 45 degrees adaptor to upsize the standard tube, 4 hours later stainless exhaust welded fitted. this was because several companies quoted me over 600.00 to make and fit ss exhaust , cost 120.00. if you know someone who can cut and weld it I can give you the company where I bought the parts from

andy

12. JockandRita

Thanks Andy. (y)

I'll have a word with my pal who does all the heavy work on the MH.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

13. westy77

westy77 Funster

• Like Like x 1
  14. westy77

westy77 Funster

The difference between the two seems to be how it hangs on the van.

15. JockandRita

Thanks for the links Westy. :) The first one is the same as the one I linked to in my original post, but from a different seller. Thanks for the feedback too.

It was because of those "hook type" brackets corroding away on the original exhaust, that I had to have my mate make up some stronger brackets and weld them on for me.

I'll be sorting this out before the new MOT in May, but for now, the original is still intact, albeit looking rough with a split in the rear box casing seam. It's not leaking gases though. (y)

Cheers,

Jock.

• Like Like x 1
  16. westy77

westy77 Funster

No worries, mine is a rhd van but continental hab back, the van left Fiat with a rhd exhaust but Adria fitted a LHD silencer during the conversion. This give me the issue that most places won't talk and demand the reg number, which in my case gives the wrong silencer. I had this with an ebay seller that had a genuine Fiat part, no matter how many times I explained it he wouldn't have it!

I picked up a none cat front pipe from ebay that was good quality and fair price (different seller). After the incompetence of the motorhome dealer we bought from I have a Cat front pipe that I should get round to advertising.

17. JockandRita

With a change in the MOT regs, where if a CAT was originally fitted, it has to be present at the time of testing, won't the fitting of a non CAT pipe mean an MOT failure? [​IMG]

Cheers,

Jock.

18. westy77

westy77 Funster

Mine didn't have a cat on it, so I changed it for another none cat. Just been through mot no bother. So must have been none cat from new. The motorhome dealer we bought from have disappointed us greatly. They only gave a 3 month warranty, the exhaust broke in that, but it took the from May till December to sort the exhaust piece, then send the wrong one! Hence why I have a cat pipe.

• Like Like x 1
  19. JockandRita

From your Avatar Westy, your MH looks more modern than ours (a 99 model Fiat/Iveco engine), but ours is fitted with a CAT. (I've yet to see if it's got an EGR valve as well................but that's a different thread. ;) )

Glad you've got your new MOT ticket. (y)

Cheers,

Jock.

20. westy77

westy77 Funster

Mines a 2005. When we got it I expected a cat tone on there, but after seeing a few threads on here it seems common for them (around the age of mine) to not have a cat. I have no idea why, maybe something to do with it being a motorhome?