Sep 26, 2012
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Guys

Just about to buy a van but checked to see if it was LEZ compliant first and (big surprise) its not. Though there is only the London Low Emission Zone in this country, there are many more in Europe. My question is for travellers in Europe, how much does this affect your travels in Spain, Germany and Italy?
I won't be affected in France because they don't have any LEZs or should I just look for something else that is compliant, which would be a shame because this van has everything I need.
Your help is very much needed and I thank you in advance.

Gary

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
I looked into this before we bought back in september and as we travel through London a lot . We narrowed our choice to 2 vans we liked both being of the same model except one was 2 years old with euro 4 engine and a new one with euro5 engine.We went for the new one so as we could go about our business as normal and travel through the city.It was a costly decision but i hope i made the right one.It was the right one for us and i know we dont need to worry about any where we decide to go.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Guys

Just about to buy a van but checked to see if it was LEZ compliant first and (big surprise) its not. Though there is only the London Low Emission Zone in this country, there are many more in Europe. My question is for travellers in Europe, how much does this affect your travels in Spain, Germany and Italy?
I won't be affected in France because they don't have any LEZs or should I just look for something else that is compliant, which would be a shame because this van has everything I need.
Your help is very much needed and I thank you in advance.

Gary

Unless you plan to replace every few years, it would be almost impossible to keep up with LEZ requirements throughout Europe which go up a Euro rating every couple of years, as they expect commercial vehicles only to last a decade at most.

If you're that worried, buy a petrol, either classic or catalyst, as most zones exempt such vehicles (and sometimes any petrol/LPG like London). However, as most LEZ are city centres, which you wouldn't want to drive into (there being no parking), consider parking in the next village outside and getting a train and don't worry about the zones.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I suggest you have a look at this website.
http://www.lowemissionzones.eu/

There are loads of older motorhomes chugging around Europe. They (and increasingly we) just have to keep out of some cities. But then who really wants to drive a motorhome through a congested city anyway? Much better to stop outside and use public transport to visit the centres.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
We stayed on the Crystal palace site last year and a couple of weeks later got a warning letter about LEZs saying dont do it again or face a £1000 fine. So stay clear of London.
You can have the euro 4 adapted for around £700 but is it worth it ?
Taking large vehicles into cities is a no no anyway.
Phil

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Germany has many LEZ zones and this is one reason why so many of the older quality built vans are coming onto the market now. Up until quite recently the German owners of these vans refused to part with them. There does come an age in Germany when a vehicle becomes an "oldtimer" and then it is exempt from LEZ. These models command a premium. Am just wondering if its the same in London, does anyone know.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Germany has many LEZ zones and this is one reason why so many of the older quality built vans are coming onto the market now. Up until quite recently the German owners of these vans refused to part with them. There does come an age in Germany when a vehicle becomes an "oldtimer" and then it is exempt from LEZ. These models command a premium. Am just wondering if its the same in London, does anyone know.

Yes, pre-1973. However, mine is petrol/LPG and 1978, so I get petrol exemption in London and classic exemption in Germany.

I think any petrol post 1993 is also exempt in Germany, as well as classics (30yo i.e. 1983). I believe they've also removed the additional conditions on classic vehicles (had to be original and in good condition) and it is now done on age alone.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back