RS SPIKE

Free Member
Oct 8, 2014
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
ELDDIS SUNSTYLE 140
Exp
Hi, just kitting out our first motorhome and not sure what ramps i require ??

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Have a look on Fleabay there's lots of choice. Milenco are popular as are Thule but in half an hour every make under the sun will have been mentioned on here :whistle: ................ Wait for it ..............:LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Yes we have the Quattro's, I must admit I get SWMBO watch as I drive up them and I agree heavy and bulky but very strong.

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
@Badknee the problem is that I have an automatic and its not like you can slip the clutch to gently go up you have to give it a bit of wellie, often (I mean very rarely) with a bad result!;)
Ah well in that case get the Mrs to throw herself under the wheels to stop you going over the top while you race up them at about 35mph. That should do it :eek: :p

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I have the largest size Fiamma ramps (Jumbo I think). They are quite strong with a flat incline rather than scalloped indents to hold the wheels. I prefer the flat format as I can choose exactly where to stop on the ramp.
Our motorhome is also an automatic but I have not had any problems controlling the ascent. Use left foot braking to hold the vehicle back if required.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We have some of the yellow ones, had them three years , used them once , first time out after buying them, never bothered since, usually get level enough, try the wine bottle on the table , if it stays in one place, we are level enough

Upvote 0

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
What weight you pushing? Most 'cheaper' chocs should be fine - my mate's 5t LT goes on them with no problems.

A question for you auto drivers - in case I come across anyone needing help. Would reversing be easier onto a choc given the lower ratio gear and easier to control?

As you all have probably gathered by now - I really don't have a scooby, but I do have a logical mind (no brain though).

Upvote 0

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
We used ours once. Van shot off the back and the front of the ramps embedded themselves in the wheel arches. Had to dig holes underneath to release them. Haven't used them since! Anyway, they take up too much storage. We now just pitch up on reasonably level sites. It really doesn't matter too much unless you are parked on so much of a slope that you could fall out of bed at night or that your gas fridge doesn't work.

Upvote 0
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
i phone pictures and videos 031.JPG
i phone pictures and videos 031.JPG i phone pictures and videos 031.JPG
What weight you pushing? Most 'cheaper' chocs should be fine - my mate's 5t LT goes on them with no problems.

A question for you auto drivers - in case I come across anyone needing help. Would reversing be easier onto a choc given the lower ratio gear and easier to control?

As you all have probably gathered by now - I really don't have a scooby, but I do have a logical mind (no brain though).

5t gross. Always seem to need to level up at the front.
The MH sits slightly nose down naturally.
When I drive onto them I use tickover and clutch control with my right foot covering the brake.
Never had a problem

Upvote 0

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Started with Fiamma,they did the job but had a tendency to crack after a yr or so.Tried putting piece of thick ply underneath and they lasted longer.
Was given a pair of Millenco Quatros to compensate for a company sending us the wrong colour windout awing,they were brilliant but took up too much storage space.
I now use Millenco Triple and am very pleased with them.(y)

Upvote 0

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
I built my camper. Designed into it was storage for milenco quattros. Strong, high and very grippy to climb. I still often end up at the very top, even on Quattros.

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I'm pretty sure ours our Fiamma ones, but they don't look anything like the broken ones that @knokinonabit posted. I did notice at the Newbury show that a vast majority of the vans were not using level up ramps. We only needed on under one of the back wheels. It had sunk into the grass by the end of the weekend though :D

Upvote 0
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
They are the Fiamma Maxi. I still have the smaller yellow Fiammas and have no problem with them.
I use them under the rear wheels when I need to level side to side, rather than fore and aft.

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I got this one dirt cheap a few years ago from an American motorcyclist who'd fallen on hard times:

Broken Link Removed

Odd name as I recall, Evel somebody..

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We carry Milenco Quatros but haven't had to use them since we had longer springs put on at the front (we used to be very nose down before and needed them every time we parked up unless we could find an uphill slope to park on.)

Denise

Upvote 0
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
We carry Milenco Quatros but haven't had to use them since we had longer springs put on at the front (we used to be very nose down before and needed them every time we parked up unless we could find an uphill slope to park on.)

Denise

Do the longer springs affect the ride in any way ?

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2014
London
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Despite buying a pair, we've not been to a site where they have been needed - perhaps we're not that sensitive to a slight gradient - and no longer carry them due to their bulk in our compact Tribute 550.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back