Levelling ramps advice please? (1 Viewer)

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Hi All,
We are new to motorhoming and are looking for some advice on what are the best levelling ramps to buy for an Autoquest 180 MH. We have managed without them on our first few trips, but are planning to go to a site in Whitley Bay soon and have been advised that we will need ramps!:help:
Any help on this would be much appreciated, thanks!

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Hi All,
We are new to motorhoming and are looking for some advice on what are the best levelling ramps to buy for an Autoquest 180 MH. We have managed without them on our first few trips, but are planning to go to a site in Whitley Bay soon and have been advised that we will need ramps!:help:
Any help on this would be much appreciated, thanks!

Hi there hope you have a good holiday in Whitby! In response to your question I wonder if I might ask what at first may seem an obvious question; why do you think you need levelling ramps and is the extra space and weight they take up necessary?
The reason for my asking is I have never used them and though my MH is often not level I have never found it an inconvenience, should the MH be on a slant I make sure I am sleeping with my head above my feet and have never found it uncomfortable.

Good hunting.

Norman

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 25, 2008
Barril da Alva, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
on and off for the whole of my existance
Hi there hope you have a good holiday in Whitby! In response to your question I wonder if I might ask what at first may seem an obvious question; why do you think you need levelling ramps and is the extra space and weight they take up necessary?
The reason for my asking is I have never used them and though my MH is often not level I have never found it an inconvenience, should the MH be on a slant I make sure I am sleeping with my head above my feet and have never found it uncomfortable.

Good hunting.

Norman

Hello to you both,

I understan what you are saying Norman, and yes most will put up with un level ground, BUT if you plan on using your fridge on gas then the m/home should be as close to level as possible and some m/homes will have trouble with drainage problems.

The best leveling ramps we have found that work are the 'Millenco, Quatro.
Although a little well a lot larger than the fiamma ones, they do work very well.
Enjoy every moment.

Cheyne

Upvote 0

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
We also have had problems with the fridge freezer not working very well when the van is not too level.

Also depending which way round we can lose suction from the water tank whilst there is still quite a lot of water remaining.

We just have Fiamma ramps but they do enough to make a difference.....:thumb:

Upvote 0

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
Ignore the Fiamma Level Pro ones. Although the weight limit stated on the pack would have you believe they are suitable, if used on softish ground, they bend and then split. There was a lond thread on Out & About Live forum about this problem and Fiamma stated they were meant for caravans although as I said the weight limit gives no indication of this. I think the minimum ones to have are the Level-Up ones depending how much storage space you have.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi personally I take 2 Quattro's and 1 fiamma level this so far has got me right nearly every time . Quattro's so easy to use as it goes up in steps ,I use the third one just to adjust on third wheel if necessary.Terry

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Levelling Ramps Advice - many thanks!

Just a quick message to say a big thank you to everyone who replied so quickly with all the advice! We will go for the Quattro's. To answer Norman's question about why we think we need them, our sink waste and our shower waste go in different directions, but the shower water not draining away because of the slight slope gives more of a problem with removing the remaining water in the shower tray.
With regards to our forthcoming planned trip to Whitley Bay, someone at the site (Old Hartley) told us that ramps were advisable given the slope of this particular site.
We have had a bit of bad luck since booking up our late summer trips though, a van with ladders on the top reversed into the side of us whilst we were waiting to fill up with diesel. So the van will need to go in for some repair work, (dent in side to be removed and also side rear window unit needs replacing) as it was smashed:cry:
We couldn't believe our bad luck, fortunately the van driver admitted full responsibilty, but it's all the hassle having to have it repaired and being without now for possibly two or three months.
Once again many thanks to you all for the friendly advice, no doubt we will be back on again soon asking about aerials and satellites next.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Onderweg

Funster
Jul 17, 2008
Vlissingen, Holland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As of April 2008
Hi

We have been using a caravan since 1992 and we are now travelling with our camper some years.

We never use(d) levellers. I just put the caravan or camper on a spot and make sure that if there is a level problem it is minimized by the way i park and if some level difference is still at hand I make sure that when sleeping my head is higher than my feet.

I just remove any water left in the sink by hand

Paul and Ineke

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Levelling Ramps

Hi Onderweg!
Many thanks for your reply. The few sites that we have visited have been fairly level, but we know there there are a lot of sites that aren't level, so at least if we have the ramps we will be prepared for all terrain!:Smile:
Sleeping on a slight slope is not a problem because of course we would lie with feet towards the downward slope, but the concern of the shower tray not draining away quick enough is annoying to say the least.

Upvote 0

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We bought the fiamma ones because they were cheaper and they broke within 3weeks and we have spoken to a few that have hadthe same problem .So now we have gone for the milenco quatro they are heavier but they are real quality and they are quite high .we have been on quite a few sloping sites where the slope would have been too much to cope with.especially with the fridge needing to be level .and the water not going out of the shower tray

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back