Levelling Chocks

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Babyell, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Babyell

Babyell

hi, we have realised we are probably going to need some after being parked on a slight slope at weekend and when opening oven door all the food slid out onto the floor!

I have had a look and am not sure which to get, is there a difference between campervan and caravan chocks? and which duty low, med or heavy?

2. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

There has been much discussion on this subject, so you might want to try a the search facility to find them.

There are many here who don't use levelling ramps and can't understand why anyone would. If like me you prefer things to be a bit on the level then the choice seems to be between Fiamma, Thule or Milenco. We had a couple of the yellow Fiamma ones and they are compact and didn't break but they don't raise the vehicle very much.

The 3 or 4 step Milenco ones are good but they are bulky and I am not sure they work perfectly if you have 16" wheels.

We bought a pair of Thule ramps, which are compact but raise the MH more than the Fiamma ones did and they were a lot cheaper than the Milenco ones. We used them a lot on a recent trip to Spain and they are still in one piece Or rather two pieces as they come as a pair!

• Like Like x 2
  3. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

I know the horse has bolted etc.. but you can get tubes of that heat resistant silicone that slip onto the edge of your oven shelves.. stops anything accidentally sliding out.. I'm sure aldi have them.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Babyell

Babyell

@sdc77 , I will look for that, thanks. don't fancy getting burnt feet again!

• Like Like x 1
  5. normanandsue

normanandsue Funster

If the slope on which you were pitched was so great dishes slid out ofthe oven I don't think levelers would help to that degree. But I have been known to be wrong :)

6. Babyell

Babyell

It didn't feel that much of a slope and phone app said -5. It probably didn't help that the oven door is slightly stiff so when I pulled it the baking tray slid out! I have ordered some silicone grips so hopefully won't happen again! It actually took a while to find a level (ish) spot in the first place.

7. Abacist

Abacist Funster

I carry 2 sets of ramps. One are a set of home made wooden ramps that are 2 inches high that I cut myself from a lump of timber and the other set is a pair of German 2 level ramps that seem to be indestructible for our 4,500 Kilos van. I had a pair of Milenco 4 level ramps but the weight of our van was too much for them and they started to break down. I use the wooden ones most and the german ones when I need a bit of extra lift. Sometimes having more than 2 ramps is useful. I am not besotted with being level and won't bother if its not significant. However having the shower water always accumulate on the opposite side to the plug hole can be a pain!

• Like Like x 1
  8. ianandkath

ianandkath Funster

get 1 with auto leveling jacks,, why does someone not make a kit for the euro vans i dont know..
    mmmmm time to design something££££££££££££

• Like Like x 1
  9. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Hi.
    Silly you,you don't need level blocks... NO!!. Park the "OTHER WAY ROUND" LOL This is Fun!. Had the Quatro Milenco,they were very good,but big and heavy,so now have the Milenco triple,works for us.
    Best of luck with what you plump for....... "Toe Tecter" Boots?
    Tea Bag

• Like Like x 1
  10. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

Thought I'd post up an old photo of one of the vans we rented. It's parked behind our house so that the cars can still get past to use the garages, shows the strategic use of a levelling block so that the fridge stays in operation over night. Hope this helps :D
    levelling.jpg

11. PaulyP

PaulyP Funster

image.jpg image.jpg @Babyell
    As i have sold my MH I have a pair of Thule ramps which are yours for £15 if your interested. Manchester area as you are so may not be far away.

12. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

If you were at such an angle the food racks slid out you NEEDED levellers and your fridge shouldnt have worked.
    fridges are pretty much level critical.....5° to 8° 'off level' is the limit.

How would you have stopped the plates sliding off the table had the food not hit the floor first. ?

13. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

14. ianandkath

ianandkath Funster

yes jim,, thanks for that, but ook at the prices,, i think i can make them for less than £125 each, so 4 fitted would be £500, better than over a grand

15. etap

etap

Buy a set from your local dealer with three heights, this will do you ok, ours were £20 for the set of two from.
    Etap

16. g8ysn

g8ysn Funster

have a pair of milenco adjustable [caravan/m-home leveler,s ] bought set of 4 [bit ott] excess to need,s offer,s

17. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

We have Milenco Quads and small Fiamma ones - some places we've stayed at required all 4 to be used. We like to be level so that we don't fall out of bed, spill our drinks and allow the fridge to work.

18. Photo4x4

Photo4x4 Funster

We have a set of these and have found them to be very useful. We have just returned from a month long UK trip and stayed at all sorts of sites and they sorted us out no problem.

KH

19. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Worth just having incase you need them.

20. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Go on then, I think you will be inundated with orders.

Martin