Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
We're on a pitch that leans front to back and left to right. I've got the chocks under the front wheels at the moment so it's as level as possible but we've still got quite a lean to the left. Any advice on which way is preferable, both chocks on the left or as is at present? The fridge / freezer isn't very efficient at the moment. Could this be due to not being level either way?

Thank you

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You could try just one chock under the lowest corner and depending on the design of your chocks you can stack them one on top of another, you can certainly do this with the low Fiamma ones. Gas 'fridges need to be level but they will take some lean - if the beer isn't sliding off the table it should be fine. :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Christoph

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
Good idea but it doesn't help just now!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Sorry I would be inclined to just get it a level front to back as if you are not careful you could end up twisting the chassis if it's to much slope with one ramp.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Christoph

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
Ok thank you. So one chock at the front lowest corner might be better than both at the front? Sorry for such a basic question!

Upvote 0

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Front to back is generally easy enough, left to right can often be difficult...I like the nose up a bit as the water runs away better in the shower tray!

Upvote 0

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
Put the first ramp at the wheel which is at the lowest point then the second ramp at the other front wheel but move it away 4 inches
This will raise the lowest point first hopefully resulting in a levelish van on all axis a bit of trail and error maybe needed to get it level

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Ok thank you. So one chock at the front lowest corner might be better than both at the front? Sorry for such a basic question!
It will even it out a bit but if the slope is significant then it may not be enough. You don't mention what sort of chocks you have, some only lift a couple of inches but the Millenco Quattros for example lift up a long way.

Might be easier to move pitch! (if you can:))

Edit: The advice above, using two chocks "staggered" might be best if I understand things correctly.

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
You could always stagger the ramps, so put the lowest corner ramp right under the wheel, and the other about 6 inches away, and then drive up.
Our fridge is much more sensitive to left and right leans rather than front to back.

[Edit] @Paul and Kate beat me to it! :D

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Most pitches have some slope on them. Is it severe?
We rarely bother to level, we usually try to look for the flattest pitch available (not always successful!) then make sure whichever way we're pointing, we'll be sleeping with our heads above our feet.
The fridge copes much better than we were led to believe it would.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Christoph

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks all. Will try the staggered theory and hope that sorts things out. The chocks are Thule with a decent height but not as high as the Millenco ones I've seen around.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
No help for now, but I take three ramps with me so I can level out the lowest side and the front / back. This works in most situations. Happier to be front down than one side down, unless of course, the the side down rolls me nearer the missus!

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2009
Heybrook Bay, Plymouth, UK
Funster No
MH
LeVoyageur 950 LVX
Exp
Always learning...
This is something that really intrigues me. On most sites we stay on almost every van is shacked up on some combination of ramps but when we pitch and test the levels using a spirit level they almost always seem absolutely fine so we rarely bother. This means either we are not being precise enough or the other owners are being overly obessesive. We've never had an issue with the fridge or whatever but i still get the sneaking suspicion as a newbie that I'm missing something? How sensitive is levelling really?

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We used the 'staggered' method a few times on holiday when on aires etc which works well ... just make sure when driving on them that you remember to keep your eye on how far up on the wheel has gone on the FIRST ramp used so that it doesn't drive over the end ... no we haven't don eit but I've seen others who have and it don't half make a racket when they thump down off the 'thick' end and it flicks the 'thin' end up under the chassis!

Upvote 0

Lee27

Free Member
Aug 23, 2015
Lancs
Funster No
MH
Hymer B644GL
Exp
since 2007
This is something that really intrigues me. On most sites we stay on almost every van is shacked up on some combination of ramps but when we pitch and test the levels using a spirit level they almost always seem absolutely fine so we rarely bother. This means either we are not being precise enough or the other owners are being overly obessesive. We've never had an issue with the fridge or whatever but i still get the sneaking suspicion as a newbie that I'm missing something? How sensitive is levelling really?

Could be missing that some vans sit level whereas others don't, for example; on perfectly flat/level ground, our van is lower at the front than the rear, meaning we would want to level it, however if the pitch had an incline, we could park with the front up the incline and be level without ramps. what we actually do, regardless of how the pitch is, is just hit the level button on the remote control ;-)

Lee

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yes, our PVC has a lower front end than rear so that takes care of most places we stop for the night as they are rarely totally level front to back, it's the sideways slopes that are the most awkward but so long as our heads are higher than our feet in the transverse bed we can cope!

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
The farm we stop on hasn't got one level pitch which is fine for caravans but not us. The one we have been on this week I had only one wheel on the ground and the other three on various thicknesses of chocks from 35mm to 60mm. :LOL:

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
On a very sloping pitch with a loose surface, you could scoop out a bit of sand/gravel to run the highest wheel into if the ramps aren't enough.

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
image.jpeg
Just as long as you don't end up like this guy....

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back