maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Hi everyone. I'm trying to work out what I'll need in the way of levelling blocks ......... and getting in a panic as to how I'm going to cope with the tag axle wheels. :Eeek:

I have found some heavy duty blocks - Milenco Triple or Quattro - which are ok for the weight of the van but rather large to store. For tag axles, it seems I'm supposed to fasten two blocks together back-to-back, and then run up and over the first one backwards. As a total newbie to motorhome manoeuvring, it seems unlikely I will manage to pull this off. :Blush:

Is there a simple way out of this? How about if I only ever park so that it's just the front wheels need levelling? :wub:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I have the old yellow levellers from my Rv so heavy duty
I only use one to level the rear if it needs it had no problems so far.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Personally I wouldn't worry unduly, most sites these days are pretty level, exception being CLs .. some are fine, others are like hill 60 :roflmto:

If I had to level a tag I would endeavor to park so the blocks were used on the front wheels. It can't do the chassis much good twisting and bending as you ride over a block with one axel, this is bound to cause stress on the body panel joints.. leaks here we come .. just my opinion.

What I have noticed, it would appear that some vans are nose down and always seem to need blocks on the front wheels.. even on level pitches.. either that or the owners need to buy a spirit level .. :RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Personally I wouldn't worry unduly, most sites these days are pretty level, exception being CLs .. some are fine, others are like hill 60 :roflmto:

If I had to level a tag I would endeavor to park so the blocks were used on the front wheels. It can't do the chassis much good twisting and bending as you ride over a block with one axel, this is bound to cause stress on the body panel joints.. leaks here we come .. just my opinion.

What I have noticed, it would appear that some vans are nose down and always seem to need blocks on the front wheels.. even on level pitches.. either that or the owners need to buy a spirit level .. :RollEyes:

Our motorhome we have now is nose down......but to be quite honest does it have to be dead level...most of the time we do not bother...it has got to be bad steep-ish for us to put the levelers on........don't worry...it and you will be fine......just make sure you are on the side of the bed that is top side......so you roll down hill......so her in doors is at the bottom of the hill...Say no more :winky::winky:.....we always use that none slip mats /material on lots of things and items and on the table that non slip foam type material you buy in a roll .......drinks, food, dishes, nothing moves.... cushty job done:winky::ROFLMAO:

Mel:thumb:

Upvote 0

Tommy_harry

Free Member
May 30, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2 days
We have a tag and only ever level the front wheels. We use the milenco triple ramps but as Jim said most of the time you can find a pitch thats fairly level and its only the odd time that we have needed to use them.

Des

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
havent had the pleasure of levelling a tag but i'm fanatical about being level.

cant stand doors that swing open/shut if i let go...especially the fridge, or pans that slide about on the hob.

i dont live in a sloping house so why should i live in a sloping van. :Doh:

dont have a problem now with four hydraulic jacks to get me level.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Our motorhome we have now is nose down......but to be quite honest does it have to be dead level...most of the time we do not bother...it has got to be bad steep-ish for us to put the levelers on........don't worry...it and you will be fine......just make sure you are on the side of the bed that is top side......so you roll down hill......so her in doors is at the bottom of the hill...Say no more :winky::winky:.....we always use that none slip mats /material on lots of things and items and on the table that non slip foam type material you buy in a roll .......drinks, food, dishes, nothing moves.... cushty job done:winky::ROFLMAO:

Mel:thumb:

Your MH is quite similar to mine. I have measured it and the rear is 6inches higher than the front on level ground, so if unlevel front to back can always park it the other way round. I don't bother with levelling generally as long as things don't slide off the table, though I dont like the nearside to be higher as then the shower doesn't drain properly.

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi Maz,

Most MHs built on an ALKO chassis do sit nose down, so, if the pitch slopes up from the roadway, drive on to self level. If the pitch slopes down from the road, reverse on to self level.

If the pitch slopes to one side, place one ramp behind the front wheel and rear axle on the sloping side, and reverse up. It is not crucial for the middle axle to be supported for a short period, but if pitching long term, it should be considered. I rarely have to use 3 x ramps.

Reversing onto ramps, gives you easy egress, if you have to move away in an emergency situation. You just have to remember to shimmy to the left or right a bit when you come off the front ramps, so as not catch them with the rear tyres.

HTH,

Jock.

Upvote 0

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i have noticed that a lot of motorhomes are nose down and don't quite understand why.
mine sits more or less level never needed levelling blocks so far though at lincoln show last year i was sat with 1 front wheel in a dip so i bought some levelling ramps. though i feel that if i need to use them i would only use them at the front and reverse onto them that way if it gets a little wet it gives a bit of momentum to get moving.

Upvote 0

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
We carry four of the jumbo ones

There are these for double wheel vans
Fiamma Level System Jumbo
or these for bigger vans
Fiamma Level Up Jumbo

Peter

Our jumbos came from Johns Cross... We use between two and three of them... Being an RV with out leveling jacks (we do have adjustable rear air suspension) .. As we have twin rear wheels (side by side rather than tag) we needed to use two of the jumbos side by side.. Now and then we also have to level the from so side to side we are level... We always use large chocks as being an automatic we tend to roll back when park is selected and as all yank owners know the foot (hand brake) are not very effective to hold the RV on the ramps.

You soon get use to juggling the ramps to level up.... I would find it hard to balance on crutches if the floor was not level. .. I find I can sit in the cab and know how much I need to move up the ramps.. As an extra check, we open the across the back bathroom door and the fridge door if they stay put in the open position then I am 100% level. Also we use a hand held cb (sue outside) and me on the cab cb to confirm how much I am up the ramps.

I hate to sleep even a fraction up or down hill.. You soon will work out what works best for you.

I know you can get for American RV's tag axles, side lift wheel level units that slide around the tire and you wind a handle to lift the wheel... You use two of these to bring both tag axle wheels up to the desired level.....they are shown on page 637 of the 2010 big American accessories book .. Not cheap $90.19 each and you can get them for 13" .. 14" and 15" wheels. Called light tailer tire leveler.... Darren of RV Spares can order them... He is on eBay under American motorhome spares.... Or p.m. For contact details.

There is always a way of doing something if you think outside the box.

Bob:thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Thank you everyone - lots of useful information there. Thankfully it looks like I can forget about trying to reverse up and over two blocks tied together. :Smile:

Think I'll get just the one pair of heavy duty blocks. I'm not worried about being 100% level but I want the shower to drain properly.

Upvote 0

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I also found
that if we are not within 3 percent level our fridge doesnt work.we asked thetford this and they confirmed it also i hate the doors swinging if we are not level or the shower doesn't drain properly

Upvote 0

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
as you say Peter cheap

You can also get these, cheap and cheerful spirit leveller indicators
Caravan Levelaid Spirit Level
Caravan Orbital Level Spirit Level

Peter

to be honest Peter a waste of time... we use a proper builders level if we need it... but the fridge door and bathroom door are the best level device and you soon know if the RV is not sitting right.

The only thing I would add is I would not be happy with just one of the tag wheeks on blocks as it could cause a strain with everything on that axle.. hence the load is spread by having tag axle. Ok if it is just a small amount out but if it is a fair amount I would want to take them both up..

I know it is not an American RV but they do lots of odds and ends that are designed to cope with these issues from what I previously mentioned to jack pads that are like big flat lego blocks you can join to gether and designed to ride up on and by joining them you can get two wheels up at the same time.. or place at the end of the jumbo ramp so you can ride over on to them.. but they are designed to be used to set the height from 1/2" up to what ever you want them to be by interlocking them....They come in packs of 10 or 4 .. I have them and use them for all sorts of level jobs.. like putting them under the scissor jack under the tow ball to give a more solid hold to stop bounce in the bathroom. Plus the air suspension is adjustable side to side so I can lower one side and increase the other.. a small amount of level available.

If you are at one of the shows look me out.. I can show you them... I am at Newark then Newbury .. more as the year goes on..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
We use the simplest method of all - the gin bottle laid on its side.

If the gin tips out, we put less tonic with it - if the gin doesn't tip out we buy another bottle.

The motorhome isn't level - well, after the first ten minutes or so of trying the gin bottle method - being level doesn't seem to matter quite so much anymore, hic....:beerchug:

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks

If the gin tips out, we put less tonic with it - if the gin doesn't tip out we buy another bottle.

The motorhome isn't level - well, after the first ten minutes or so of trying the gin bottle method - being level doesn't seem to matter quite so much anymore, hic....:beerchug:
It will when you sober up and work out how many bottles of gin a new fridge costs:Eeek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Levelling on a tag axel

Does this work with vodka? :ROFLMAO:

S

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
to be honest Peter a waste of time... we use a proper builders level if we need it... but the fridge door and bathroom door are the best level device and you soon know if the RV is not sitting right.

The only thing I would add is I would not be happy with just one of the tag wheeks on blocks as it could cause a strain with everything on that axle.. hence the load is spread by having tag axle. Ok if it is just a small amount out but if it is a fair amount I would want to take them both up..

Same here, using the wardrobe door. :thumb:

With regards to the Tag/Tandem axles, I too wouldn't like to leave either axle fully suspended. :Smile:

Cheers,

Jock.

Upvote 0

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
I too wouldn't like to leave either axle fully suspended. :Smile:
Jock.

Much the same with an RV - we have seen people using the on-board hydraulic jacks lift the front wheels off the ground and leave them suspended like that for a week or so at a time. :Eeek:

Even worse, we have seen people lift the rear wheels off the ground with their built-in jacks - course the problem with that situation is that on a lot of RVs the hand brake ONLY works on the rear wheels. :Doh:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011

I know it is not an American RV but they do lots of odds and ends that are designed to cope with these issues from what I previously mentioned to jack pads that are like big flat lego blocks you can join to gether and designed to ride up on and by joining them you can get two wheels up at the same time.. or place at the end of the jumbo ramp so you can ride over on to them.. but they are designed to be used to set the height from 1/2" up to what ever you want them to be by interlocking them....They come in packs of 10 or 4 .. I have them and use them for all sorts of level jobs.. like putting them under the scissor jack under the tow ball to give a more solid hold to stop bounce in the bathroom. Plus the air suspension is adjustable side to side so I can lower one side and increase the other.. a small amount of level available.

Hi and thank you for the extra info. I take your point about not wanting to leave an axle dangling, but have a feeling I could end up filling my entire garage with levelling devices! :Eeek: As a starting point, does it seem sensible for me to get just one pair of heavy duty blocks and concentrate on the front wheels, turning the van round as necessary?

Upvote 0

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Hi Maz

It is ALWAYS sensible to start small and grow 'kit' with experience, as and when you need it.

So many people, me especially, go to shows and see an item that I think - "Oooh yes, I could use that to do........" so I spend squillions of pennies on the item which I immediately store in the garage - and in ten years time give it to a charity shop still in it's original packaging. :Angry:

Bit like the wife's wardrobe, actually :Blush:

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Hi and thank you for the extra info. I take your point about not wanting to leave an axle dangling, but have a feeling I could end up filling my entire garage with levelling devices! :Eeek: As a starting point, does it seem sensible for me to get just one pair of heavy duty blocks and concentrate on the front wheels, turning the van round as necessary?
Maz,

In six years I have never used more that three ramps at any one time, and for 98% of that time, either no ramps, or only two ramps were needed.

Cheers,

Jock.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back