Scotland
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
0 starting in June 2010
Hi again,

meant to ask another couple of questions?:Smile:
  • What is the best sort of levellers to get i've been looking ast the 3 stage ones what is your opinion?
  • Its a tag axle we are buying and we were wondering whither to buy back steadies is it useful?
regards
Sandils

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Totally agree. We dont have any steadies or levellers as A. It interferes with the amount of time it takes from parking the van to opening the fridge for a beer (record is 2.2 seconds. And B we have never needed them, its just something else to carry and faf on with. The van wobbles a bit in a wind and occasionally your not level. You get used to it. I slept on a boat for 5 years (not all the time) so it doesnt bother me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Hmm. But when the only spot left on the Aire you are defo staying at that night just happens to be like the N face of the Eiger ... we have the 'stepped' Fiamma ones.

Upvote 0

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I have the large resin ones. The lighter Fiamma ones are just not up to the job. The resin one's are wider too which gives a bit more leeway if you are a bit off-centre.
Rear steadies are not worth the hassle and there'll always come the time when you'll forget to wind them up and plough up someone's nice lawn!

Upvote 0

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
If our luck's in we can park with the nose slightly uphill which makes us level.:thumb:
If we can't, we use the Fiamma Level-ups which, though not particularly strong, are reasonably light and do the job (we put the wedges in behind them (just in case). If we happen to be parked on the side of a mountain I also have a pair of wooden, home-made ones which have short bolts sunk in at the right places for the Level-ups to sit on top without sliding, and this will give us an extra three inches of height, but you need a breeches buoy rig to get out of the cab door. ::bigsmile:
We have found that a few degrees off level isn't much of a problem so we don't get obsessive (unless Mrs. JayDee wants her kitchen level:RollEyes: - then we do).

John

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
you wouldnt sleep in your bed at home if it had a stack of books under the base at one end, would you ?

why do it in the motorhome !!!!

level ramps every time. only takes a few minutes. :thumb:

Upvote 0

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
you wouldnt sleep in your bed at home if it had a stack of books under the base at one end, would you ?

why do it in the motorhome !!!!

level ramps every time. only takes a few minutes. :thumb:

Crucial minutes that I simply cant afford if the suns over the yard arm Pappa!

Ive seen people prat on for ages with these things, getting spirit levels out and the like when its probably .5 of a degree of a slope. I simply dont see the point of corner steadies. There have been odd spots where I suppose levelers might have been useful but steadies. I would definately forget about them and drive off. I would also forget about the levelers probably!:Doh:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Crucial minutes that I simply cant afford if the suns over the yard arm Pappa!

Ive seen people prat on for ages with these things, getting spirit levels out and the like when its probably .5 of a degree of a slope. I simply dont see the point of corner steadies. There have been odd spots where I suppose levelers might have been useful but steadies. I would definately forget about them and drive off. I would also forget about the levelers probably!:Doh:

its what you're used to doing i suppose....we always level and use the steadies.
i dont mean pin accurate level but just near enough so you dont roll out of bed.
nowt worse than a rocking van when its windy or the pans sliding off the hob when you're vans on end.:Eeek:

Upvote 0

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
I USE FIAMMA LEVEL RAMPS HATE THE IDEA OF HAVING TO WALK UPHILL TO GO TO BED OR LOO. :ROFLMAO:
JohnM.

Upvote 0

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
its what you're used to doing i suppose....we always level and use the steadies.
i dont mean pin accurate level but just near enough so you dont roll out of bed.
n end.:Eeek:[nowt worse than a rocking van when its windy or the pans sliding off the hob when you're vans o/I]

Wrong, there's lots worse. Your beer could slide off the table!:Eeek:

Seriously though, I negotiated levelling blocks as part of the deal when I bought Herman and they're still in the poly bag almost 2 1/2 years on.

Upvote 0

Peter James

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
Funster No
I've got the bed suspended on 4 ratchet luggage straps - one at each corner, so just ratchet the relevant straps up to level the bed - a one minute job :thumb:

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I don't believe I have ever used levelers, if the bed slopes just sleep round the other way. Refrigerators are more tolerant than you might think. As to steadies, not used them but there have been times when I would have loved to have them. motion sickness sufferers will need them when its windy.:thumb:

Upvote 0

dencol

Free Member
Nov 20, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
I think it can depend on the type of sites you use. We have a set of levellers (basic set not the stepped type) and always leave them in the van.

Most time we do not need them, but on some CL sites and at club rallies the field is anything but level and they have been worth the space they take up.

One thing I did learn was to reverse onto the levels not drive forwards onto them, that way if the field is muddy you have a 'rolling start' and a better chance of driving off (guess how I found out)

Colin

Upvote 0

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I love the rocking of the van in high winds...:ROFLMAO:

There's only been once where I have had to go out and wind the awning in....and that was when other awnings were taking off ....

The kids were getting worried it was going to rip off the side of the van....It was blowing quite a Hoolie out there....

I don't worry too much about being exactly level.

All part of the fun.:Cool:

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just to add some clarification for anyone who's not sure but levellers and steadies are not the same thing.

Levellers are just what the name says - they are small wedged shaped ramps that you drive your 'van onto to 'level' it as required, they can take the weight of each of the motorhome's wheels.

Steadies are only meant to prevent a 'van from rocking around - they are NOT meant to be used to LEVEL it - doing so can cause damage as they are not meant to carry the actual 'weight' of the van', just to stop it wobbling as you move around in it (or as the force 9 gale tries to 'rock' you to sleep:Eeek:).

Sorry if this is teaching some to suck eggs, but it's important to 'newbies' to know the difference. :thumb:

Upvote 0

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Just to add some clarification for anyone who's not sure but levellers and steadies are not the same thing.

Levellers are just what the name says - they are small wedged shaped ramps that you drive your 'van onto to 'level' it as required, they can take the weight of each of the motorhome's wheels.

Steadies are only meant to prevent a 'van from rocking around - they are NOT meant to be used to LEVEL it - doing so can cause damage as they are not meant to carry the actual 'weight' of the van', just to stop it wobbling as you move around in it (or as the force 9 gale tries to 'rock' you to sleep:Eeek:).

Sorry if this is teaching some to suck eggs, but it's important to 'newbies' to know the difference. :thumb:

Cheers ....

I often think I would like steadies on the van....But Hey.It's fun..
Thought about levellers and Personally dismissed the idea....

Haven't found a pitch yet that really needs them...

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We carry a pair of the big black ones, which are heavy and take a lot of space. We hardly ever use them unless seriously unlevel, but have found the yellow Fiamma ones completely useless if you need them as they dont have enough lift, and are rather narrow as well, only really work when you don't need them, ie only an inch or two off.

Upvote 0

tucker_j

Free Member
May 26, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
6 Years
I like the small yellow ones as they store easily in the side locker, but as stated they do not always provide enough lift so I carry two sets.

Do use them quite a bit on grass pitches as I don't like walking uphill to the fridge or the loo :roflmto:

Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Always carry some levelling ramps, but don't now bother with steadies.

A tip that I found useful when we did use steadies was to place the winder handle across the peddles, it did remind you that they were out and stopped you ploughing up the field.

Dave :thumb:

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
on the level

Having just had Air Suspension fitted that gives us a few inches of lift/drop add the small Fiamma yellow leveling ramps and hopefully that will be enough, we do use the steadies in high winds if we remember of course.
Had a week down at St Ives last year and needed their 8" lift wooden wedges ones to get the van level.

Upvote 0

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Absolutely over the moon with the air suspension....

This has solved all my "problems" in one.

Raised the ride height......Stopped the body roll....and allowing me to mount and carry the 2 lpg tanks.....

Brilliant.:Cool:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back