Levellers and steadies

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by sandils, Mar 7, 2010.

1. sandils

sandils Read Only Funster

Hi again,

meant to ask another couple of questions?:Smile:
    • What is the best sort of levellers to get i've been looking ast the 3 stage ones what is your opinion?
    • Its a tag axle we are buying and we were wondering whither to buy back steadies is it useful?
    regards
    Sandils

2. thefman

thefman Read Only Funster

hi dont waste your money you dont need them. :Smile:

mark.

3. barryd

barryd Read Only Funster

Totally agree. We dont have any steadies or levellers as A. It interferes with the amount of time it takes from parking the van to opening the fridge for a beer (record is 2.2 seconds. And B we have never needed them, its just something else to carry and faf on with. The van wobbles a bit in a wind and occasionally your not level. You get used to it. I slept on a boat for 5 years (not all the time) so it doesnt bother me.

4. sedge

sedge Funster

Hmm. But when the only spot left on the Aire you are defo staying at that night just happens to be like the N face of the Eiger ... we have the 'stepped' Fiamma ones.

5. Spacerunner

Spacerunner Read Only Funster

I have the large resin ones. The lighter Fiamma ones are just not up to the job. The resin one's are wider too which gives a bit more leeway if you are a bit off-centre.
    Rear steadies are not worth the hassle and there'll always come the time when you'll forget to wind them up and plough up someone's nice lawn!

6. JayDee

JayDee Funster

If our luck's in we can park with the nose slightly uphill which makes us level.:thumb:
    If we can't, we use the Fiamma Level-ups which, though not particularly strong, are reasonably light and do the job (we put the wedges in behind them (just in case). If we happen to be parked on the side of a mountain I also have a pair of wooden, home-made ones which have short bolts sunk in at the right places for the Level-ups to sit on top without sliding, and this will give us an extra three inches of height, but you need a breeches buoy rig to get out of the cab door. :BigGrin:
    We have found that a few degrees off level isn't much of a problem so we don't get obsessive (unless Mrs. JayDee wants her kitchen level:RollEyes: - then we do).

John

7. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

you wouldnt sleep in your bed at home if it had a stack of books under the base at one end, would you ?

why do it in the motorhome !!!!

level ramps every time. only takes a few minutes. :thumb:

8. barryd

barryd Read Only Funster

Crucial minutes that I simply cant afford if the suns over the yard arm Pappa!

Ive seen people prat on for ages with these things, getting spirit levels out and the like when its probably .5 of a degree of a slope. I simply dont see the point of corner steadies. There have been odd spots where I suppose levelers might have been useful but steadies. I would definately forget about them and drive off. I would also forget about the levelers probably!:Doh:

9. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

its what you're used to doing i suppose....we always level and use the steadies.
    i dont mean pin accurate level but just near enough so you dont roll out of bed.
    nowt worse than a rocking van when its windy or the pans sliding off the hob when you're vans on end.:Eeek:

10. JohnM

JohnM Read Only Funster

I USE FIAMMA LEVEL RAMPS HATE THE IDEA OF HAVING TO WALK UPHILL TO GO TO BED OR LOO. :Rofl1:
    JohnM.

11. derekfaeberwick

derekfaeberwick Read Only Funster

Wrong, there's lots worse. Your beer could slide off the table!:Eeek:

Seriously though, I negotiated levelling blocks as part of the deal when I bought Herman and they're still in the poly bag almost 2 1/2 years on.

12. Peter James

Peter James Read Only Funster

I've got the bed suspended on 4 ratchet luggage straps - one at each corner, so just ratchet the relevant straps up to level the bed - a one minute job :thumb:

13. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

I don't believe I have ever used levelers, if the bed slopes just sleep round the other way. Refrigerators are more tolerant than you might think. As to steadies, not used them but there have been times when I would have loved to have them. motion sickness sufferers will need them when its windy.:thumb:

14. dencol

dencol Read Only Funster

I think it can depend on the type of sites you use. We have a set of levellers (basic set not the stepped type) and always leave them in the van.

Most time we do not need them, but on some CL sites and at club rallies the field is anything but level and they have been worth the space they take up.

One thing I did learn was to reverse onto the levels not drive forwards onto them, that way if the field is muddy you have a 'rolling start' and a better chance of driving off (guess how I found out)

Colin

15. American Dream

American Dream Read Only Funster

I love the rocking of the van in high winds...:Rofl1:

There's only been once where I have had to go out and wind the awning in....and that was when other awnings were taking off ....

The kids were getting worried it was going to rip off the side of the van....It was blowing quite a Hoolie out there....

I don't worry too much about being exactly level.

All part of the fun.:Cool:

16. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Just to add some clarification for anyone who's not sure but levellers and steadies are not the same thing.

Levellers are just what the name says - they are small wedged shaped ramps that you drive your 'van onto to 'level' it as required, they can take the weight of each of the motorhome's wheels.

Steadies are only meant to prevent a 'van from rocking around - they are NOT meant to be used to LEVEL it - doing so can cause damage as they are not meant to carry the actual 'weight' of the van', just to stop it wobbling as you move around in it (or as the force 9 gale tries to 'rock' you to sleep:Eeek:).

Sorry if this is teaching some to suck eggs, but it's important to 'newbies' to know the difference. :thumb:

17. American Dream

American Dream Read Only Funster

Cheers ....

I often think I would like steadies on the van....But Hey.It's fun..
    Thought about levellers and Personally dismissed the idea....

Haven't found a pitch yet that really needs them...

18. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

We carry a pair of the big black ones, which are heavy and take a lot of space. We hardly ever use them unless seriously unlevel, but have found the yellow Fiamma ones completely useless if you need them as they dont have enough lift, and are rather narrow as well, only really work when you don't need them, ie only an inch or two off.

19. tucker_j

tucker_j Read Only Funster

I like the small yellow ones as they store easily in the side locker, but as stated they do not always provide enough lift so I carry two sets.

Do use them quite a bit on grass pitches as I don't like walking uphill to the fridge or the loo :Laughing:

20. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Always carry some levelling ramps, but don't now bother with steadies.

A tip that I found useful when we did use steadies was to place the winder handle across the peddles, it did remind you that they were out and stopped you ploughing up the field.

Dave :thumb: