Jun 8, 2009
christchurch NZ
Funster No
MH
fully intergrated
Exp
since 2000
Hello All
Is there any detrimental effects to a motorhomes suspension if you leave the motorhome on leveling blocks for an extended period of time.

Cheers Kiwicamper

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
Are you talking under the front or rear or under one side.
Under the front or rear it is no different to parking on the flat. under one side you could argue that there is some weight transfered to the lower side hence more weight on the lower side. But as leveling ramps are no more than 4" high I don think it would be any problem.

Andy

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi

Can't see that leaving a van on levelling blocks would do any harm, after all it's only standing. What could do some damage to the van is the fact that it is not moved. Personally I like to take the van for a run at least once a month if not being used to keep everything moving, and stop the tyres sitting in one position for too long, they like to be worked. Better still use as often as possible, that solves all problems.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Vans should not be left in one position for long periods of time as the tyres can deveolop flat spots or cracks in the tyre walls and the disc brakes/drums will corrode.

In addition you can get clutch problems with the clutch facings sticking to the flywheel.

Always start it up once a week amd give it a run.

Peter

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if you place a block under one wheel or two blocks diaganaly and left it for an extreme length of time......maybe years, not weeks or months, then the springs will eventually take a 'set' in the new, compressed position and wont recover to the normal length but no-ones going to leave their van for that long....are they ?

as already said......two blocks under one or both axles wont make any difference no matter how long its left.

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Vans should not be left in one position for long periods of time as the tyres can deveolop flat spots or cracks in the tyre walls and the disc brakes/drums will corrode.

In addition you can get clutch problems with the clutch facings sticking to the flywheel.

Always start it up once a week amd give it a run.

Peter
Good advice as always1
I have to level my off side as my drive slopes to the right. I feel if I didn't there would be

undue pressure on the offside tyres. Plus it is easier to work inside when its level.:thumb:

Phil

Free Member
Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
When I'm at home I usually put the blocks under the front wheels to raise the front end so that rainwater does not sit on top of the van and runs off straightaway.

I try and give the van a run out every couple of weeks when it's not in use for holidays.

Phil.

des

Free Member
Oct 1, 2007
south staffs
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
5 years
surely the motorhome has no "idea" it is sitting on levelling blocks. no different from any other parking situation. or have i missed something? but, for sure, must be moved regularly to prevent tyre problems.

des

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
If the levelling blocks are used to level the van then no problems as you are using gravity to exert the identical pull at all four corners.

Its only when the van is tilted against gravity that you are going to get uneven pressures on the suspension and bodywork.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back