Free Member
Jul 3, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Eldis Autoquest
Exp
First
Im at a steam engine rally in three weeks when I last visited it was in a caravan and the ground was really banked. Any thoughts on the best ramps or devices to buy

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
When we had an Autoquest (100) we used Fiamma yellow ramps. With a bigger van we now have a pair of Milenco Quattros, which would have been difficult to transport in the Autoquest.

If the ground has a serious slope you may need something underneath the ramp to give extra height.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I've just ordered a pair of Fiamma Maxi ramps as they give a bit more height than the standard yellow ones. I will then have three pairs at different sizes so should be ok on most occasions. The reason I use more than one set is so that I have plenty of adjustment for side to side as well as fore and aft. Sometimes it's a faff on, but worth it to stop SWMBO giving me ear ache. ::bigsmile:

By the way, which steam fair are you going to ? Not the Great Dorset by any chance ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
have used everything from wood right up through all the yellow ramps of all sizes. All had drawbacks or failed due to the weight of the van or caused by uneven stones. The latest set are quattros by millenco, which are superb and built for the purpose of being used on motorhomes. 4 seperate leveling points with recessed wells to hold the tyre properly and tall enough to avoid having to put a plank under them to increase height. as a bonus they even come in their own carry bag to keep the van clean

Link Removed

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
I first used the Faima step levellers, but they did not give me sufficient height on some slopes.
I now have Millenco Quattro's and so far have never had to go higher than the third level.

Be warned though they are big and heavy and you need more storage space. On the plus side they are much more robust!

hope this helps

bob

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Millenco Quattro's for all the reasons above. Had a need to use the 4th level on a farm in Salisbury and must start carrying a plank or two for side to side level. :Smile:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I have tried them all and the Milenco are streets ahead, get the quatro if you can pay the extra, and have the space.:thumb:

OP
OP
Dubiousp

Dubiousp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Eldis Autoquest
Exp
First
Excellent thanks for the advice I need to look at sizes as I have an autoquest 130 and yes Dorset fair

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Look out for the Graham Atkinson (Scarborough Fair) stage and engines.
I will probably be on The Iron Maiden. I'm the old one with the beard.
Come over and have a chat. :thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
if your not staying on site at the great dorset steam fair, the c&cc new forest da have a holiday site running to accomodate campers cheaply at pimperne. Every year weve been, they also supply a vintage bus to shuttle campers to and from the show and only ask for donations to cover the cost

OP
OP
Dubiousp

Dubiousp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Eldis Autoquest
Exp
First
Excellent I will certainly look out for you and I've booked to stay on site but will remember the c&c site

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
We will have our own "compound" behind the stage/organ as there will be quite a few of us. I may not be on the engine all the time as we are going to work in shifts to give us a bit of a break. Two men on in the morning to polish and raise steam, one off in the afternoon and one off in the evening on rotation. That's the plan, but we all know what happens to plans ::bigsmile:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
If storage space for Milenco Quatros is an issue, they also do a Milenco Triple, which - as the name suggests - only have 3 levels. They are not as bulky or heavy as the quatros, but of course you don't get quite as much lift.

http://www.milenco.com/products/levelling-ramps/triple-level-pairs/

We have the 'triples' and they've proved fine for us. There have been a couple of occasions we'd wished we'd just had those few extra cms of height, but we've always managed OK. :thumb:

Mike

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
We take a rather cavalier approach to being level. There is the front to back and the left to right to consider. We can tolerate not being level as long as our heads are above our feet when we go to sleep. That's not to say we don't try to make it as level as possible - we do.

We take just one ramp, We have a 2 inch thick plan of wood screwed to the bottom of it. We also have a piece of 2 inch thick wood to lift the edge of the ramp if we need it.

So, to sum up, we know which single wheel is the lowest. We drive just one wheel up on it to increase that corner by 5 inches. Works for us.

People don't tend to see things the same way that I do, so I won't feel bad if you ignore my advice.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We take a rather cavalier approach to being level. There is the front to back and the left to right to consider. We can tolerate not being level as long as our heads are above our feet when we go to sleep. That's not to say we don't try to make it as level as possible - we do.

We take just one ramp, We have a 2 inch thick plan of wood screwed to the bottom of it. We also have a piece of 2 inch thick wood to lift the edge of the ramp if we need it.

So, to sum up, we know which single wheel is the lowest. We drive just one wheel up on it to increase that corner by 5 inches. Works for us.

People don't tend to see things the same way that I do, so I won't feel bad if you ignore my advice.

its no problem generally to do as you say, but your fridge is not going to work at its best when not level. especially when using gas

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back