level pitches

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by jhorsf, May 10, 2012.

1. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

Has anyone else noticed lots of sites have hardstanding and say its level I do not think they own a spirit level as its ok with a caravan to be miles out from end to end but just how big a ramps do they thin k us motorhomers carry.They put in hardstanding, well gravel and its fairly level across but in the length of your motorhome its much higher than a set of ramps and when you book they tell you its perfectly level this has happened to me a few times now am I the only one?:Eeek:

2. Dodgey

Dodgey Funster

No offence,:BigGrin:, but are you sure it's not your van?

So many Euro's are 'arse' high due to the rear spring rates being high, presuambly to give some payload on the chassis.

Numerous times I've noticed Euro vans with big levels under the front wheels on pitches we're actually level, or close enough.

3. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

on a previous van years ago, we always had issues with levelling due to the vans suspension. if you looked at the van on a flat road, you could see the issue immediately as the van sloped by 6inches. we learnt to use the slope of pitches combined with a decent pair of ramps to get it near enough. the only issue tended to be running the fridge on gas as the flame was misalligned with the chimney and heat exchanger

4. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

No its not the van:BigGrin: the same sites you see caravans 12 "" higher one end to the other but that works with a caravan

5. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

On a level pitch we are a touch nose down-but it's not often we find a truly level pitch :BigGrin:
    Sometimes just turning round sorts it out,sometimes it doesn't-usually the levels are enough-I put a 1" thick plywood plank under each one to prevent sinking on very soft ground and to try and avoid the levels cracking on uneven ground.
    Often-on aires when we are only stopping the night,we just put up with it-so far our fridge has been ok,as far as we know.

Mike.

6. Road Burner

Road Burner

Level pitch

We always have to level our Van on most of the UK pitches (mainly use hardstanding too)
    Millenco Quatro ramps are great for giving you that extra bit of hight if you need it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SuperMike

SuperMike Read Only Funster

No trouble, just push buton and four hydraulic rams come down and level Motorhome. Simples. :Rofl1::Rofl1:

Except when it is so far out, it lifts rear wheels off the ground, thats a no no. Then have to put a block under rear wheels, or turn around. :Wink:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

We nearly always have to use ramps on the front even when it looks level, I know if we park VERY slightly uphill we are then level inside, sometimes we just turn around but I like the hab door to be away from the wind as I am afraid of it slamming and breaking the stay on the door.

9. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

we booked a pitch on a sloping pub site near Masham, and that was listed as terraced but level grass.

the pitch was longways along the terracing and yes, thepitch was level....but the (differing) depth of the two ruts made it extremely difficult to level up and ended up half on/ half off the pitch

we had a caravan at the time and we could almost step out of the van (uphill side) and onto grass with no step down...until we moved over a few feet.

we wont use that site again.:Angry:

10. JayDee

JayDee Funster

Dethleffs 'A' Class. Yup, we always try to park a bit uphill. If the pitch really is level we need to go up to about level 2 on the Fiamma Level-ups at the front.
    We're going to get a pair of Milenco Quattros soon as the Fiammas are starting to crack, and the 2" wooden ramps that I made a few years ago (for if the fiammas aren't enough by themselves) are heavy and stink of creosote (still) and they're starting to crack too.
    Anybody got a pair of Milenco Quattros they don't want? :thumb::Smile:

John

11. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Arse high. My arse is well low due to the weight of the conversion. Must be an age thingy :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

I have got over this whole levelling thing. I gave my ramps to Artona about 2 years ago and now park wherever I can fit and bugger how level the pitch is... If I roll out of bed in the night I consider it a new adventure :hardhat:

• Like Like x 7
  12. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

It always seems to be the case that when you ask when booking a site, "Are the pitches/hardstandings level"? They will always say that they're pretty well level, until you turn up and find out that the water won't drain away properly after using the shower:Angry:
    This doesn't annoy hubby, but it really annoys me, so we got a set of Millenco Quattro levellers. However, we haven't used them yet and we've had them for 6 months now.
    Everytime we arrive the spirit level comes out and we see how far out it is, I know pitches are never going to be completely level, but the shower not draining away annoys me greatly. So I've found a solution, have a shower before hubby and let him clear the water away seeing as it doesn't bother him:Laughing:
    I think our back end is slightly higher than our front end as well.

The Millenco Quattro levellers are very heavy, but at least we've got them if we do have a problem in the future.
    Margaret:Smile:

• Like Like x 2
  13. Mr Colpot

Mr Colpot Funster

Our Rapido was nose down and we could usually park it one way or the other to be level. The Hymer seems to sit level and so we have to use the levellers more.

14. tofo

tofo Funster

as long as the fridge works
    its level

maybe harder to get to the throne room though :Blush::Blush:

• Like Like x 1
  15. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

There's nothing worse when you think, is it me, have I had too many beers, or do I seem to be "climbing" slightly to get to the loo?:Doh:
    However, if it's slightly uphill to the loo, you can make it back down the van quicker when you come out:Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I had a set of these (Millenco) and flogged them to a funster at a rally a year or so back. We never used them and they are bulky and heavy.
    Like yours our back is 6" higher than the front, so on most slightly sloping pitches it's just a matter of which way you face. If it really level then could let the Airides down a bit, but I reckon if the wine stays in the glass then its level enough.

• Like Like x 2
  17. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

It always amazes my why folks put up with not being level.....

if your house was out of level you'd soon be selling it...or trying to :Wink:

18. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

I cant sleep unless its level