Level changing? (1 Viewer)

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Been away for a week now, and it's snowed every day. -3 outside at the moment. The last couple of stops though we have noticed that although levelish on first set up the following morning we were down a bit at the back. I have racked my brain. Even dismissed tyre temperatures as they would all be the same and cool the same. Any suggestions welcome. ( not been sad and sitting with a sprit level. It was the level of the spirit in the glass last night that highlighted it.......):thumb:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Been away for a week now, and it's snowed every day. -3 outside at the moment. The last couple of stops though we have noticed that although levelish on first set up the following morning we were down a bit at the back. I have racked my brain. Even dismissed tyre temperatures as they would all be the same and cool the same. Any suggestions welcome. ( not been sad and sitting with a sprit level. It was the level of the spirit in the glass last night that highlighted it.......):thumb:

Gordon......do you get that sinking feeling:Doh:.........................either on melting snow or soft ground when not below zero....or has the the ground you leveled up changed in any way...are you tarmac or grass.....if grass what is under the grass :winky::winky:

These little perishers work well underground even in frosty very hard top surface:Doh::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::winky::winky:

Also are you a rear "U" shaped lounge......do you spend a lot of time in the rear part of the van...mainly on the over hang past the rear wheels and back axle..instead of the front and mid van..Just a thought:winky::winky:

Last edited:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Ours always sinks at the back on grass!

Check for a hole in the ground where your back wheels where when you pull off pitch!::bigsmile:

Either that, or is your waste tank behind your rear axle? You might be transferring weight backwards as you use your water system!:thumb:

My Dog Likes Fishing

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Exp
Hang on while I look at my watch
It is possible that you have got one of them faulty spirit levels that were made that don't comply with EU legislation.

There was a batch made a few years ago that we're made using out of date air in the bubbles.

There is no cure unfortunately so it's a trip to B&Q for you my friend or risk a heavy fine from the European courts for using an unsafe spirit level.

I personally wouldn't risk it!!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
gordoncbrown
Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Gordon......do you get that sinking feeling:Doh:.........................either on melting snow or soft ground when not below zero....or has the the ground you leveled up changed in any way...are you tarmac or grass.....if grass what is under the grass :winky::winky:

These little perishers work well underground even in frosty very hard top surface:Doh::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::winky::winky:

Also are you a rear "U" shaped lounge......do you spend a lot of time in the rear part of the van...mainly on the over hang past the rear wheels and back axle..instead of the front and mid van..Just a thought:winky::winky:

All pitches have been described as hard standing but more like hardcore rough stuff. I have thought that frost could have been in between the hard core and its being compressed again when we arse on it. Yip. Rear Lounge, L shaped.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Advice if you have a dodgy spirit level!

If you use it both ways round, you can get the average reading!:thumb:

Sep 21, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Transit Coachbuilt
Exp
Well travelled ex tugger.
All pitches have been described as hard standing but more like hardcore rough stuff. I have thought that frost could have been in between the hard core and its being compressed again when we arse on it. Yip. Rear Lounge, L shaped.:thumb:

I can only recommend Atkins or Cambridge for this problem. Lol

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Advice if you have a dodgy spirit level!

If you use it both ways round, you can get the average reading!:thumb:

Always do this what jonandshell has said...Always...there is No perfect spirit level...some very close:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
it does depend on the suspension you have on the back end..

A couple of options would be independent or beam axle with either trailing or leading link couplings ( usually that would mean coil springs and not leaf )

As you come to a halt it is possible to sort of rock up on the linkages,

Now, if you apply the brakes, and then put the handbrake on without taking your foot off the brake there is a chance it will stay 'rocked up'

Over time the front wheels will move ( maybe a mm at a time ) and allow the rear suspension to rock back in to place again..

Sooo.. over a few hour period the height of the rear of the van might change by a good couple of inches

All this is based on my experiences with leading link forks so might well be complete tosh !!!

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
It is possible that you have got one of them faulty spirit levels that were made that don't comply with EU legislation.

There was a batch made a few years ago that we're made using out of date air in the bubbles.

There is no cure unfortunately so it's a trip to B&Q for you my friend or risk a heavy fine from the European courts for using an unsafe spirit level.

I personally wouldn't risk it!!!!

These are very useful, the more proficient of you can use 2 set at 90 degrees. The air will become available once opened and consumed

Attachments

• tesco_value_baked_beans.jpg
    tesco_value_baked_beans.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 18

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Van and glass level ?

Gordon

Just a thought but does the level of the van change with the level in the glass? :thumb:::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back