Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
I will soon be start living in my Winnie full time and wondered about my cat, I dont want to start chopping to put in a catflap, nore do I want to leave the window open, or leave him outside all day, or have a poo tray smelling up the place.

Any Ideas?

Boo

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Then your only answer is to adapt a belly locker for his use or buy him a kennel. We full-time and we have two cats - but we are at home all day and can therefore empty their litter tray as soon as it has been used.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Andrew and Shirley

Free Member
Nov 1, 2008
Alfaz Del Pi Spain
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Many
We will be f/t soon and this was a worry.

But having left the van outside our house on numerous occasions.

Rogan (the cat) had already found a way of getting in and out of the van when ever he wants to. This is of course irrespective of what we want him to do.

He climbs in through the half open roof light and gets out the same way.

Never under estimate the power of a cat.

Papa Smurf

Sep 25, 2007
Funster No
Put the litter tray in a locker that has a PIR sensor attached to a 12v fan (computer fan is ideal). Allow cat to have access to locker (give him/her the key or similar). When cat enters locker, PIR can set fan off to clear any smell.

Notes.

a) Make sure fan exhausts to OUTSIDE of van

b) Make sure cat does not get duplicate keys cut for their friends

c) Consider having a timer circuit so fan does not run longer than say 2 minutes at a time (no running battery dow)

Papa

p.s. a) and c) are sort of serious. b) was suggested by my stuffed pet ape, Junior.

brianju

Free Member
Sep 18, 2007
Hampshire Hogs now in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
A class 1991 Hymer B544
Exp
10yrs ish - US 5th Wheel/US RV/Eurovan
Hi Boo - I was chatting to someone who was fulltiming with her cat in a motorhome - apparently it didn't take long for the cat to learn the rules of the road ! He lived the life of Riley :Smile: During the day the cat would curl up on the dash (which was covered with sheepskin) to doze or watch the world go by - if it needed the toilet, that's where the litter tray was kept (don't know if it could work the extractor fan :winky:) The cat went out when the owners were present and prowled around the campsite upsetting all the dogs :Doh:
That cat was having a good life :Cool:

Julia

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
I will soon be start living in my Winnie full time and wondered about my cat, I dont want to start chopping to put in a catflap, nore do I want to leave the window open, or leave him outside all day, or have a poo tray smelling up the place.

Any Ideas?

Boo

Sorry Boo, but you're asking the impossible.
You're gonna HAVE to compromise somewhere. We've been fulltime for 10 years now (out all day working for a living) and have had 2 persians in that time. Dougal is trained to a litter tray and does on ocasion use it whilst we're at work. Yes, there's a bit of a niff when you get in but if you use the odour eating cat litters, it's not that bad and if you take the tray outside when you get home, you're talking 5 minutes for the slight pong to disapear. (edit) = we've found, over time, that he seems happier to wait until we get in from work before he will use his tray-perhaps becuase he's learned that it will be emptied straight away if he does that.
One thing I would add is this, and I dont want to be either rude or patronising. Remember, its YOUR choice to take your cat, NOT his/her choice. If you're gonna keep an animal in a vehicle permanently, the very least you can do is make the animals life as comfortable as possible, even if it means SOME discomfort to yourself. We've started with european motorhomes, then American RV's, currently in a twin axle caravan and hopefully, soon to be in a Fifth wheel. Dougal has been through the lot with us and VERY quickly adapts given love and encouragement and the feedback we've recieve back in turn it absolutely priceless.

Good luck, hope all goes well fo you.::bigsmile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Boo

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
Thanks for your replies.................clearly I have 2 choices............keep him and test run it or get rid of him.

Well, I could just see how we went on :winky:

Boo

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
We travelled with a cat fulltime for six months, it went out hunting all night and slept all day.
Now I have given this a lot of thought and have three answers.

1) You need a cat flap but why not on the inside of the van giving access to an outside locker that has a small hole in the floor anything larger than a can of peas in diameter is large enough, So no direct drafts, or security issues.

2) Or the other option is a purpose made lock in place false wooden window that incorporates a cat flap fitted in the cab passenger door. Removable for travel and lockable for security.

3) Take the cat to a taxidermist.

Last edited:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Dump the cat :thumb:

Hideous creatures anyway :winky:

carpediem

Free Member
Apr 29, 2008
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
31 years
Alarm bells ringing here Boo. Are you fond of cats or not ? Domestic pets who, for whatever reason, cannot be looked after anymore should be found new homes - not got rid of !
You are thinking of your cat's welfare to the point of how it's basic needs will impact on your chosen new lifestyle but if you have enjoyed keeping a cat and are prepared to remain a responsible owner, there is no reason why this should not continue.
We always take our two cats with us in the m/h and they have adapted to this. Both of our cats use a litter tray inside the loo room and we ensure that it is regularly maintained. Any smell produced from solid waste soon disperses (just like human waste) but it is advisable to scoop and dispose of asap. With this regime, we have not had any problems of lingering odours. Give it a try and if it does not work for you, do the right thing and find a new owner for your cat. Good Luck.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi we have taken ours abroad for up to 5 weeks, we keep the tray and food in the shower tray, any mess is then soon cleaned away. Wife won't let her prowl free during the day and keeps her on a long harness.

olley

algill

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 2007
Surely this is the answer. :thumb:

[ame=http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_ug7WEUxH68]YouTube - Toilet Trained Cat Doing Number 2[/ame]

R

roger loiselle

Deleted User
We made the decision to go fulltiming with our cat (a rescued feral) about a year ago. During the last 4 months at home we stopped letting our cat have free gangway and took her out on a lead every night. She now waits beside the cat flap (in the house) to wait to go out on the lead.
Hope it works when we hit the road at the end of the month.

Roger & Jackie Loiselle

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Your cat is part of your 'pride', your home is his home. He will be far more aware of his surroundings than you. He knows where his next meal is coming from (you) and where his comfortable home and bed is.
When we had a cat he would sleep all day in the awning and sally forth at night to do his cat thing, i.e. terrorise the local rodent population. He would always be fast asleep in the awning the following morning.
If your cat doesn't comply to these behaviour patterns then he is not your cat but just a parasite intruder relying on you as a soft touch.

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
I really cannot believe that someone would take the trouble to film a cat going to the loo and then putting it on UTube. :Eeek:

Is that scary or what? :whatthe: :whatthe: :whatthe:

OP
OP
Boo

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
Your cat is part of your 'pride', your home is his home. He will be far more aware of his surroundings than you. He knows where his next meal is coming from (you) and where his comfortable home and bed is.
When we had a cat he would sleep all day in the awning and sally forth at night to do his cat thing, i.e. terrorise the local rodent population. He would always be fast asleep in the awning the following morning.
If your cat doesn't comply to these behaviour patterns then he is not your cat but just a parasite intruder relying on you as a soft touch.

S'pose your right.........I really can't bare to part with him (he was my sisters cat who came to stay with me and when she left........he stayed) so I'm gonna give it a go and just see how we get on...
Awning is a good idea but would have to make other arangements with him in winter....ie: he stays indoors all day while I go to work..........he seems to sleep all day anyhoo and goes out at night :)

Cheers all for you suggestions ;)

Boo:thumb:

Baldy

Free Member
May 8, 2008
The open road
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
officially since 22 feb 2010
We have 5 cats and we're in a caravan, (for now) we have installed a 12vdc computer fan in a purpose built cabinet over the litter tray to extract any toxic vapours, the mogs have never been at ease outside and enjoy the full timer lifestyle. We have consulted with the RSPCA and they have confirmed that they are happy and content wih their surroundings and that to re-home them would be cruel as we have had them for so many years, the youngest is 6 and the old crone is 16, and will be 17 in May.

They are our family and they keep us sane.

Papasmurf will no doubt confirm that the cat odours are not present, as he supplied the fan.:winky::winky:

Oh yes, Papasmurf, my cat is not Gay! the black steel studded collar is needed as a cat collar will not fit him. hardhathardhat:drink:

PS: As for owning a cat, any cat person knows that you don't own a cat, the cat owns you.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back