Lets see what the majority think on generators poll (1 Viewer)

Are generators anti social

• yes before 9 in morning and after 9 at night

Votes: 143 57.0%
  • Yes At any time of day or night

Votes: 86 34.3%
  • No not at all

Votes: 22 8.8%

• Total voters

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Why are you looking at purchasing one then ?.

I notice you refer to it as camping, I would dissagree, as with others, I would like to think of it as a roming hotel room & with this comes a few electrical gadgets.
I class myself as lucky enough to have extra lesure batteries/Inverter & Solar, so should be rare to need a jenny, but do I have one,, yes & would I use it if needed,,yes.

It would also seem that most of the moaning is regarding RVs, is it not just easier just to if you see one, dont park near it ?, as odds on they will use a jenny,, why because they can.

I'm not looking at purchasing one.

I refer to it as camping but you can call it what you like; the issue doesn't change just because we have or do not have electronic gadgets.

Fine for you to use a jenny. I don't think that I or others have said not to use them. Concern has been raised as to when they are used, how long and what they are being used for. If a leisure battery can power a mh for a weekend or more, why isn't it used instead of a generator, especially if it is used just to power a few lights and a TV?

I do not know about those who are moaning, whoever they may be, nor why RVs keep coming up as being the culprits but I haven't made reference to them in my comments so can't answer that. However, you may appreciate that if someone uses a generator just because they can and don't consider the impact on others, they will get anger and frustration directed at them. Being a RV user doesn't exempt anyone from being considerate.

old1

Free Member
Jul 28, 2012
Funster No
I'm not looking at purchasing one.

Strange!!!
How you asked a question on the Honda for sale post,
Then when it was linked, your comment was deleted.

You are missing my point, some folk want to power more than a few lights & TV, as they like a few other things to work,
Air-con
Coffee machine
Hair dryer
Tonges
Microwave
Bread maker
it goes on, but i'm sure you get it.

If they have the means to run these things, then why shouldnt they be allowed to, but yes I agree, concideration is needed, but is that not the case in all things, I wouldnt cut my grass at 6am or 10pm.

Maybe a group of friends chatting, sitting outside their van, can annoy some people, is this ok after 10pm ?, I honestly think, you do have to put up with some things & if you cant grow a pair & have a word with the offending party.

Lastly,
I watched a guy struggling to empty his grey waste the other day, but instead of bleating about him on a forum, I went over & helped him, now he knows how to do it, he wont struggle again. A little education might help some folk (you never know), maybe the jenny users dont know the offence they are causing.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

In your excitement to take the p1ss yesterday, you jumped to a few conclusions and forgot a few things.

I asked a question about the generator because I didn't spot the information immediately and guessed, from previous experience of those sort of ads that people would want to know what the output was. I asked the question, looked at another thread and returned to see if the question had been answered. It hadn't but I saw what I missed before so I deleted my question. I then saw that you had chuckled to yourself that I had asked a question about it and referred to it in the generator thread. You flatter yourself if you think that I deleted the question because of anything that you wrote.

You really should read the information that I write about if you want to try and pick on my comments. I made reference to an occasion when people were using their generator to watch TV and power their lights and it seemed excessive considering that leisure batteries would have done so adequately. They were not appearing to be using any of the devices listed above and I didn't say that they were not allowed to use them. I would have had a word with them if they had continued but it did stop after 30 mins. My main concern was that I guessed they knew that it was a noisy beast and put it at the far side of their van so that they didn’t have the noise and fumes disturbing them so much but it was a problem for others. You are not aware of what I do or do not put up with apart from generators so, thank you for your honesty, but it is not necessary.

Your help with the cassette was probably very useful. The jenny users may or may not have learnt from anything that happened that week end but as they stopped after 30 mins and we did not have any discussionsa about it, I do not know what they learnt. I do hope, however, that people reading these threads realise that their actions impact on others and for those that respond “live and let live” or just move on, you can do that if you like but please explain why the anti-social use of generators should dictate where you can and cannot park up and enjoy motorhoming.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I hate the ruddy things even the quietest ones make a low pitch throbbing noise that penetrates into your van.
My stance probably comes because I've yet to come across a considerate owner. Most of the ones I've come across turn them on at 7 am , turn them back on again in the evening and run them until midnight to power the 240v TV they brought from home. Caravaners appear to be worse than Motorhomers.
Then there are the RV's who's very noisy gennys kick in every time they turn something on in the van.

old1

Free Member
Jul 28, 2012
Funster No
Whatever,
Nice to know I got to you though, did you used to be a traffic warden ?

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Whatever,
Nice to know I got to you though, did you used to be a traffic warden ?
You flatter yourself again. Perhaps if you had spent a bit more time on this forum you would realize that baiting people, especially those that you haven't had any dealings with previously, isn't normal. Do as you wish but don't assume that your behavior or amusement worries me at all.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I prefer the constant noise of a quiet generator to that of a yappy dog that its owner seems oblivious to or have gone out and left it alone sat in the window yap yap yap yap yap yap :mad:
The dog is merely complaining that he's been left on his own / can't get off to sleep as their is a generator running.:LOL:

I am getting a generator and a yappy dog I have decided.

I already have kids(y)
(y)

old1

Free Member
Jul 28, 2012
Funster No
You are funny,
Didnt you start with fishing rod ?

10 second wait

Mattyjwr, comes in with rightous answer

Last edited:

old1

Free Member
Jul 28, 2012
Funster No
You flatter yourself again. Perhaps if you had spent a bit more time on this forum you would realize that baiting people, especially those that you haven't had any dealings with previously, isn't normal. Do as you wish but don't assume that your behavior or amusement worries me at all.

Is this like Top Trumps ?

You joined Aug 18 2013
Me Jul 28 2012

Give me your card

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Who cares? we can always move!

Or put on a Pipe and Drums tape!

Seriously! they are only a Door knock away.

Weinsbergaman

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Wirral, North West England
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
I find that comment quite offensive I have to use my generator on occasions & I am not anti social with a comment like that maybe you should look in the mirror mate
BTW I'm not your mate, lad.

Looked in the mirror and saw no genny, no yappy dog, no noise polution. I am very aware of my neighbours either at home or on site. I just wish everyone was like ME the world would be a better place, MATE ;)

Cheers Antony

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Consideration is key, as always.

Gennys don't wind me up, but music does on campsites. Nothing more irritating than being forced to listen to your neighbour's music, just because they want to listen to it whilst sat outside. I love music, but if I have it on then it's not audible outside the van.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
I wonder if the most voluble on the subject are those that only use EHU anyway. Any one who camps off grid for any length of time has no alternative apart from the v expensive Efoy. Solar is good but just extends the intervals between genny topups. 10 days and I need a topup unless sun every and all day.

Do the antis think that we should not be allowed to camp that long? Are they the same cohort that condemn wild campers? Just a thought.

Dick

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
If I go on rallies I take the generator but only use it if really needed.

Sep 14, 2009
uffculm mid devon
Funster No
MH
swift royale 59
Exp

Looked in the mirror and saw no genny, no yappy dog, no noise polution. I am very aware of my neighbours either at home or on site. I just wish everyone was like ME the world would be a better place, MATE ;)

Cheers Antony
Firstly I am not a lad & I suggest I

Cheers Antony
Firstly I am not a lad been round the block many times I see you are a newbie don't know whether that is to motorhoming or this site but with that odious attitude I think you may well get your wish & spend a lot of time on your own wether on site or at rallies everyone is entitled to there opinion on here even the obnoxious ones but you don't slag people off just because they use a generator from time to time

Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
What is WRONG with you guys today? This isn't even good humoured banter! Hate it when threads deteriorate to slanging matches. Listen...if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all! If your opinions are too different to reach a common ground, then shake hands and agree to disagree. But be NICE! It's Motorhome FUN and we are NICE people!
Now don't MAKE ME USE MY TEACHER VOICE! :swear2:

:cheers::lips::lips:

old1

Free Member
Jul 28, 2012
Funster No
I wonder if the most voluble on the subject are those that only use EHU anyway. Any one who camps off grid for any length of time has no alternative apart from the v expensive Efoy. Solar is good but just extends the intervals between genny topups. 10 days and I need a topup unless sun every and all day.

Do the antis think that we should not be allowed to camp that long? Are they the same cohort that condemn wild campers? Just a thought.

Dick

Your brave,
I don't think your allowed an opinion on this forum, I'm sure you will get a reply, from who we shall just call, "the newbie Funster"

old1

Free Member
Jul 28, 2012
Funster No
What is WRONG with you guys today? This isn't even good humoured banter! Hate it when threads deteriorate to slanging matches. Listen...if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all! If your opinions are too different to reach a common ground, then shake hands and agree to disagree. But be NICE! It's Motorhome FUN and we are NICE people!

Ok Miss Gerri,
I know where the step is.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Any one who camps off grid for any length of time has no alternative apart from the v expensive Efoy. Solar is good but just extends the intervals between genny topups. 10 days and I need a topup unless sun every and all day

Sorry, don't agree there. We spent that amount of time off grid over New Year with the heating running pretty much constantly and us using the van no differently to how we would on EHU and our solar more than coped. Don't have a genny, don't see any need for one.

old1

Free Member
Jul 28, 2012
Funster No

Gerri,

I will again tell you what is wrong,
Just found out our game this week against Sarries, has been moved to Milton bloody Keynes, is nothing sacred ?

Had a season ticket 20 years +, now it's all about the money

Now that's a proper whinge, rant rant rant

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies

Dick
Therese the line;"consideration" genny topups; "in considerate"watching TV. Or does that make sense only to me??

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Does that apply at any place, no matter how many other Motorhomes might be within say 40 feet of you with occupants perhaps sitting outside reading or quietly enjoying the view or having a meal.
Yep....reread my post.
they are free to move elsewhere.

I could, of course, start my onboard Briggs & Stratton 480cc V twin 5.5 Kilowatt jobby but that even bothers me.....one step up from a dumper truck or cement mixer.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I must add, i will ALWAYS buy hookup if its available.
i only run the generator when its neccessary...microwave ect...when no hookup available, but when i want to use the microwave etc i will.
just to charge batteries via generator is extremely uneconomical and time consuming so i would need to be desperate to do it.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Last year at Lincoln my one battery died a death leaving me with no heating, power or sod all so I backed up towards the far fence and ran my engine to get some life back into it, the next day I bought second battery and a generator for that reason.
The generator was also run, away from the rest of you although it is delightfully quiet in operation. I have a bigger genny that is diesel and that sounds like the dumper from hell and it would really be antisocial to run that at anytime, so it stays at home to power the house during power cuts, it would drive the neighbours mad if they were not coupled in to it as well. It also weighs a load so could not be put in the van anyway but the baby one is great but hasn't been needed since even after two days parked up.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Whilst it is wonderful to enjoy peace and quiet of the countryside, I realise that many people want generators for one reason or another ..... live and let live ... I can always saunter off and sit on the beach away from it all or in the woods and enjoy my holiday too........ No-one seems to object to the generators running the toilets and lights at rallies all day and night .. someone has to be near them ... so is it yes, run generators but not near me??? Generators are part of camping.. not all places have EHUs and not all people can afford the extra charge for them either ... I really feel for disability scooter users.
Joy - like you I'm all for 'live and let live'
I also think people should be good neighbours too and be considerate of others

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back