Lets see what the majority think on generators poll (1 Viewer)

Are generators anti social

• yes before 9 in morning and after 9 at night

Votes: 143 57.0%
  • Yes At any time of day or night

Votes: 86 34.3%
  • No not at all

Votes: 22 8.8%

• Total voters

UK Pete

Free Member
Jan 16, 2014
kent
Funster No
MH
Renault van conversion
Exp
on/off since 1991in campervanss
With all the days postings on the subject lets see whos for or against

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
I voted for the middle road
as some people would need a genny at some point for medical issues or in emergency
We have one and used it once at Newark show 2 years ago Due to flat batterys and bloody freezing mind you we did stop in bed till 10 am

Weinsbergaman

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Wirral, North West England
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Well I voted for Yes at any time.
They should be banned. Smelly, noisy things that have no place on a nice quiet site ANYWHERE.
If you want to make a nuisance of yourself just go to Birkenhead on a Friday or Saturday night, you'll fit right in.
Cheers Antony

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

newlifedriver

Free Member
Dec 6, 2014
in my rv
Funster No
MH
A class rv
Exp
I will run mine when I need to and my heating but will try to take uthers into consideration I understand some like to stay in bed till 10 am and sit and chat till the late hours and I all ways try to think live and let live let's see how many complaints I.Get when I do my morning work out I'm shor it will be the ones from the chating late brigade

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
You really wouldn't want us to run ours at all. And tbh neither do we.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I have no great problems with genny's. They are common at motocross for pressure washers, tannoy systems, microwaves, televisions etc but they have to be off after 11pm. We don't have one but have borrowed one in the past when we foolishly ran out of gas in November and needed it for heating in the daytime as it were blooming freezing.

swanseajack13

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2013
Swansea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 years
likes and dislikes tent caravan m/h dogs grey water GENNYS is all about being respectable I hope as a funster we have respect all the funsters we have meet have been very nice lots of fun if I use my genny I ask my funsters around us if it is ok for a short time all said ok we do not wont to spoil other fun and peace lol ray

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I'll run my generator, if i need to, any time i like between say 10am and 8pm unless rules dictate otherwise.

If anyone doesnt like it they are free to move elsewhere.

Does that apply at any place, no matter how many other Motorhomes might be within say 40 feet of you with occupants perhaps sitting outside reading or quietly enjoying the view or having a meal.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We had the generator from hell next to us when we were skiing over Christmas.
It was a noisy basic 2 stroke builders generator, built into their van using a chequer plate box to amplify it, with a bodged exhaust system exiting by our bedroom window.
After considering the French sentencing structure for premeditated murder, we instead discovered FUN FM on the radio.

A bit of high volume Euro dance music whenever they ran their generator had them moving on after a couple of nights!

They did return a couple of days later, but this time parked the other way round with their monstrosity on the other side of their van!

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
We had temporary traffic lights outside the bungalow run on a gennie....the noise drove me mad. I'm not a violent person but that constant motorised chugging was like Chinese water torture. I could have nuked the whole world for a decent nights sleep. Surely, at a meet, there are EHUs? So why is a genny required?

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Whilst it is wonderful to enjoy peace and quiet of the countryside, I realise that many people want generators for one reason or another ..... live and let live ... I can always saunter off and sit on the beach away from it all or in the woods and enjoy my holiday too........ No-one seems to object to the generators running the toilets and lights at rallies all day and night .. someone has to be near them ... so is it yes, run generators but not near me??? Generators are part of camping.. not all places have EHUs and not all people can afford the extra charge for them either ... I really feel for disability scooter users.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Perhaps there is a case for manufacturers to come up with some better silencing systems for them. Or do they think that the increase in the size of the casings would deter people from purchasing them?

Sep 14, 2009
uffculm mid devon
Funster No
MH
swift royale 59
Exp
Well I voted for Yes at any time.
They should be banned. Smelly, noisy things that have no place on a nice quiet site ANYWHERE.
If you want to make a nuisance of yourself just go to Birkenhead on a Friday or Saturday night, you'll fit right in.
Cheers Antony
I find that comment quite offensive I have to use my generator on occasions & I am not anti social with a comment like that maybe you should look in the mirror mate

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
Whilst I can understand that some people need or want to run a Genny, there needs to be some consideration. If I were to find myself next to someone making a noise to create a nuisance I would speak to them directly. If that failed my engine would be running and radio on just as their lights went out for bed. Then a knock on the door to ask if they mind. :D
To state "you can move" is what I would expect from someone who has very little respect for others.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Whilst it is wonderful to enjoy peace and quiet of the countryside, I realise that many people want generators for one reason or another ..... live and let live ... I can always saunter off and sit on the beach away from it all or in the woods and enjoy my holiday too........ No-one seems to object to the generators running the toilets and lights at rallies all day and night .. someone has to be near them ... so is it yes, run generators but not near me??? Generators are part of camping.. not all places have EHUs and not all people can afford the extra charge for them either ... I really feel for disability scooter users.

We rarely hear generators when camping; they are not part of camping for many people and many of use want to enjoy the peace and quiet of the countryside. They do, however, seem to be commonly used at rallies where EHUs are less common. From my perspective, the issue is not so much that they are used, it is when they are used, for how long and why. There are considerate and inconsiderate users as well as non-users but suggesting that those who don't like the noise can saunter off isn't a practical or realistic solution for many.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Your poll fails - there's a huge difference between on from 9 to 9 continuous or just and hour or so.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp

so is it yes, run generators but not near me???

No its not, but it shouldn't be a case of people running them to the annoyance of others. I do not think it right to run a generator just because you want t0, and bugger anyone who doesnt like it, they can just move. For example, suppose the person using the generator had four, five or more other motorhomes nearby, it is hardly right that they should all have their enjoyment interrupted because just one person want's to run a generator oblivious to them. Of course there are those who need them for medical purposes, that's a different matter, surely no one would object to that if they are used in as considerate way as possible.

I, and I expect the majority don't have a problem with generators when used with consideration, i.e. not in close proximity and for as little time as practical. But I do have big problem when used within a few yards and for lengthy periods just to watch the telly etc. and bugger anyone who don't like it.

I wonder what would happen if I lit a very smoky barbecue within a few feet of an inconsiderate generator user who was sitting having a meal outside or had their windows open. Would I be right to think I can do that any time I like and they can move if they don't like it, no, I don't think so.

Generators, dogs, kids on bikes, radio, tv's and barbecues et are all part of motor homing. I am all for "Live and let live" as long as it applies to everyone whatever they are doing. I am also all for common courtesy and consideration for others and bugger anyone who doesn't like that.

BONZO

Free Member
Mar 1, 2012
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 30ft
Exp
We are in same mind as long as it's short bursts and not late" we have ran out of battery power before now and wish we had a Jenny but we have sola and dose us well in summer time can get a bit iffy to back end of year so I would say yes BUT PLAYNICE.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I prefer the constant noise of a quiet generator to that of a yappy dog that its owner seems oblivious to or have gone out and left it alone sat in the window yap yap yap yap yap yap :mad:
Me too could quite happily beat the owner to death with the friggin dog.:):)
I love dogs but detest an awful lot of dog owners.;);)

Last edited:

old1

Free Member
Jul 28, 2012
Funster No
We rarely hear generators when camping; they are not part of camping for many people and many of use want to enjoy the peace and quiet of the countryside. They do, however, seem to be commonly used at rallies where EHUs are less common. From my perspective, the issue is not so much that they are used, it is when they are used, for how long and why. There are considerate and inconsiderate users as well as non-users but suggesting that those who don't like the noise can saunter off isn't a practical or realistic solution for many.

Why are you looking at purchasing one then ?.

I notice you refer to it as camping, I would dissagree, as with others, I would like to think of it as a roming hotel room & with this comes a few electrical gadgets.
I class myself as lucky enough to have extra lesure batteries/Inverter & Solar, so should be rare to need a jenny, but do I have one,, yes & would I use it if needed,,yes.

It would also seem that most of the moaning is regarding RVs, is it not just easier just to if you see one, dont park near it ?, as odds on they will use a jenny,, why because they can.

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I did vote at any time because the most annoying time for anyone to run a generator is in the early evening when we are relaxing sitting outside with drink in hand for our happy hour . Of course if it is an emergency it would be nice if the person responsible would explain why and try to limit the time of use .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back