Lets see what the majority think on generators poll

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by UK Pete, Apr 19, 2015.

?

Are generators anti social

1. yes before 9 in morning and after 9 at night

143 vote(s)
    57.0%
  2. Yes At any time of day or night

86 vote(s)
    34.3%
  3. No not at all

22 vote(s)
    8.8%
  1. UK Pete

UK Pete Read Only Funster

With all the days postings on the subject lets see whos for or against

2. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

I voted for the middle road
    as some people would need a genny at some point for medical issues or in emergency
    We have one and used it once at Newark show 2 years ago Due to flat batterys and bloody freezing mind you we did stop in bed till 10 am

• Like Like x 1
  3. Weinsbergaman

Weinsbergaman

Well I voted for Yes at any time.
    They should be banned. Smelly, noisy things that have no place on a nice quiet site ANYWHERE.
    If you want to make a nuisance of yourself just go to Birkenhead on a Friday or Saturday night, you'll fit right in.
    Cheers Antony

• Like Like x 1
  4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

I'll run my generator, if i need to, any time i like between say 10am and 8pm unless rules dictate otherwise.

If anyone doesnt like it they are free to move elsewhere.

• Like Like x 23
  5. newlifedriver

newlifedriver Read Only Funster

I will run mine when I need to and my heating but will try to take uthers into consideration I understand some like to stay in bed till 10 am and sit and chat till the late hours and I all ways try to think live and let live let's see how many complaints I.Get when I do my morning work out I'm shor it will be the ones from the chating late brigade

• Like Like x 2
  6. davejmobile

davejmobile Funster

live and let live

• Like Like x 1
  7. big map

big map Funster Life Member

You really wouldn't want us to run ours at all. And tbh neither do we.

8. Spud

Spud Funster

The poll seems a little biased in favour of the nay-sayers!
    Turn the music up and chill, there are more pressing issues in this crazy world.

• Like Like x 5
  9. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

I have no objection to running a genny not that I need to or wish to , live and let live.

• Like Like x 2
  10. MichelleRyall

MichelleRyall Funster

I have no great problems with genny's. They are common at motocross for pressure washers, tannoy systems, microwaves, televisions etc but they have to be off after 11pm. We don't have one but have borrowed one in the past when we foolishly ran out of gas in November and needed it for heating in the daytime as it were blooming freezing.

• Like Like x 3
  11. swanseajack13

swanseajack13 Funster

likes and dislikes tent caravan m/h dogs grey water GENNYS is all about being respectable I hope as a funster we have respect all the funsters we have meet have been very nice lots of fun if I use my genny I ask my funsters around us if it is ok for a short time all said ok we do not wont to spoil other fun and peace lol ray

• Like Like x 6
  12. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Does that apply at any place, no matter how many other Motorhomes might be within say 40 feet of you with occupants perhaps sitting outside reading or quietly enjoying the view or having a meal.

• Like Like x 4
  13. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

We had the generator from hell next to us when we were skiing over Christmas.
    It was a noisy basic 2 stroke builders generator, built into their van using a chequer plate box to amplify it, with a bodged exhaust system exiting by our bedroom window.
    After considering the French sentencing structure for premeditated murder, we instead discovered FUN FM on the radio.

A bit of high volume Euro dance music whenever they ran their generator had them moving on after a couple of nights!

They did return a couple of days later, but this time parked the other way round with their monstrosity on the other side of their van!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

I prefer the constant noise of a quiet generator to that of a yappy dog that its owner seems oblivious to or have gone out and left it alone sat in the window yap yap yap yap yap yap :mad:

• Like Like x 13
  15. Cat53

Cat53 Funster

We had temporary traffic lights outside the bungalow run on a gennie....the noise drove me mad. I'm not a violent person but that constant motorised chugging was like Chinese water torture. I could have nuked the whole world for a decent nights sleep. Surely, at a meet, there are EHUs? So why is a genny required?

• Like Like x 1
  16. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Whilst it is wonderful to enjoy peace and quiet of the countryside, I realise that many people want generators for one reason or another ..... live and let live ... I can always saunter off and sit on the beach away from it all or in the woods and enjoy my holiday too........ No-one seems to object to the generators running the toilets and lights at rallies all day and night .. someone has to be near them ... so is it yes, run generators but not near me??? Generators are part of camping.. not all places have EHUs and not all people can afford the extra charge for them either ... I really feel for disability scooter users.

• Like Like x 4
  17. trophychap

trophychap Funster

Perhaps there is a case for manufacturers to come up with some better silencing systems for them. Or do they think that the increase in the size of the casings would deter people from purchasing them?

18. marrod23

marrod23 Funster

I find that comment quite offensive I have to use my generator on occasions & I am not anti social with a comment like that maybe you should look in the mirror mate

• Like Like x 2
  19. bertiebasset

bertiebasset Funster

Whilst I can understand that some people need or want to run a Genny, there needs to be some consideration. If I were to find myself next to someone making a noise to create a nuisance I would speak to them directly. If that failed my engine would be running and radio on just as their lights went out for bed. Then a knock on the door to ask if they mind. :D
    To state "you can move" is what I would expect from someone who has very little respect for others.

• Like Like x 8
  20. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

We rarely hear generators when camping; they are not part of camping for many people and many of use want to enjoy the peace and quiet of the countryside. They do, however, seem to be commonly used at rallies where EHUs are less common. From my perspective, the issue is not so much that they are used, it is when they are used, for how long and why. There are considerate and inconsiderate users as well as non-users but suggesting that those who don't like the noise can saunter off isn't a practical or realistic solution for many.