Let's just back up for a moment... (1 Viewer)

Papa_J

Free Member
Aug 4, 2016
Reading, UK
Funster No
MH
Just curious
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hey Funsters,

I'm new to van-life and have just bought a 6m long Citroen Relay (2010 model) to convert. I'm excited to begin kitting it out in preparation for living, but I would like to install a reversing camera as the UK roads aren't the widest....

I am in no way electrically minded, and I'm a tad confused. I bought a wireless kit and it mentions to connect the camera to the 'reverse light' feed - all I can see is a block with six wires entering and I cannot isolate which one is the right cable to put into a scotchlok.

I have spent many hours googling and looking for the answer, to no avail - can you help me fellow Funsters?

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
You can put it in reverse with the ignition on but engine not running and use a volt meter or test light on each connection in the plug to identify the live wire. Take out of reverse to prove that the wire then is not energised.
I would add that if you think scotch locks are a suitable wiring aid, you will be building in unreliability and in the future will regret not wiring things properly. They are nothing but a temporary fix. Crimp connections or soldered are the reliable way to join wires.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
You can put it in reverse with the ignition on but engine not running and use a volt meter or test light on each connection in the plug to identify the live wire. Take out of reverse to prove that the wire then is not energised.
I would add that if you think scotch locks are a suitable wiring aid, you will be building in unreliability and in the future will regret not wiring things properly. They are nothing but a temporary fix. Crimp connections or soldered are the reliable way to join wires.
Scotchloks are spawn of the devil: they aren't moisture proof and they almost cut through the wire they're connecting to. Give them to someone you particularly dislike.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
P

Papa_J

Free Member
Aug 4, 2016
Reading, UK
Funster No
MH
Just curious
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank you for your feedback!

I ended up returning it for a wired one, and installing it using the help of a multimeter. Cheers for all!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back