Let's just back up for a moment...

Discussion in 'Self-Build Motorhomes' started by Papa_J, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Papa_J

Papa_J Funster

Hey Funsters,

I'm new to van-life and have just bought a 6m long Citroen Relay (2010 model) to convert. I'm excited to begin kitting it out in preparation for living, but I would like to install a reversing camera as the UK roads aren't the widest....

I am in no way electrically minded, and I'm a tad confused. I bought a wireless kit and it mentions to connect the camera to the 'reverse light' feed - all I can see is a block with six wires entering and I cannot isolate which one is the right cable to put into a scotchlok.

I have spent many hours googling and looking for the answer, to no avail - can you help me fellow Funsters?

2. Derbyshire wanderer

Derbyshire wanderer Funster Life Member

You can put it in reverse with the ignition on but engine not running and use a volt meter or test light on each connection in the plug to identify the live wire. Take out of reverse to prove that the wire then is not energised.
    I would add that if you think scotch locks are a suitable wiring aid, you will be building in unreliability and in the future will regret not wiring things properly. They are nothing but a temporary fix. Crimp connections or soldered are the reliable way to join wires.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Scotchloks are spawn of the devil: they aren't moisture proof and they almost cut through the wire they're connecting to. Give them to someone you particularly dislike.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

send the wireless kit back for a refund and do it properly and reliably once.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Papa_J

Papa_J Funster

Thank you for your feedback!

I ended up returning it for a wired one, and installing it using the help of a multimeter. Cheers for all!

• Like Like x 1