Let's hear it for Panel Van Conversions! (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I do admit, I am a beginner ('van less too) but I have done a lot of research here and elsewhere on the 'net.

PVC's (oo err matron) get a short shrift I think. It would appear that many people consider them too small, not comfy enough and not 'serious' motorhomes.

I think this is a personal issue and really depends on so many variables. For the last few years our (me and Mrs Chox) holidays etc have been tent orientated, either in a tent, in a car with tent annexe or cycle camping. Now compared to tents even the smallest van (VW etc) is a positive luxury! so a 6mx2m 'van is heaven to us.

For us the need is to be able to tour, to voyage, to travel.........not spend a week on the same site. We like out of the way places and prefer wild camping to 'organised sites'. When covering long distances fuel consumption is important. When we get there we like to spend time out and about, cycling, surfing, walking etc. So a big lounge for example is a low priority.

When it comes to fixed bed.....yes please! we don't want to make up a bed every night.

We are intending to finish work in the near future and spend more time travelling so the choice of motorhome is now very important. High on the list of desirables are:

Modern
Fuel efficient
Reliable
Compact
Cozy
Independent
storage
Suitable for narrow lanes and small car parks
Huge support network (motor)
Berths for two with occasional need for four

All of this leads us to Panel Van Conversions.............(Fiat Ducato esp') what's not to like!?

I should add that for three years we lived and travelled full time on a sailing yacht so we are quite familiar with living in a small space, saving water and electricity etc.

For us the journey is just as important as the destination.

So come on all you 'van owners, let's hear some more positive comments about van conversions (no coach built remarks here :winky: ) !!

(hard hat and flak jacket on) :Smile:

Cheers

Chox

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I love them, they have come on leaps and bounds over the last few years. I baulk at the price, but we will have one one day, when no kids are with us and it's just the two of us, we'll set off on in one for some proper touring:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Once we retire we will sell our present motorhome and Ralph is going to build our own PVC. To our own requirements. For all the above reasons .:thumb:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
I like mine.:thumb:

Don't get waved at any more Though.:Sad:

Pete:Cool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
hey, steady on...........no 'mine's bigger than yours!' please :winky:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We started our motor home life with a PVC, ( Autosleeper Duetto ) which was great if a little tight for space and bed making a bit laborious.
Then we moved on to a larger coach built but without fixed beds ........ then we got our current model with fixed beds 'cos we got lazy. This is very comfortable and we love it.
Having got to this I now hanker after a PVC again, mainly for the convenience of parking in tight areas and being able to use it as a runaround when touring instead of towing our toad.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I live full time in a self built PVC. Tiny but so versatile. Never have to plan and can fit in a supermarket car parking space. Go anywhere a car can (mostly)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Used to have a Trigano tribute.. Loved it..
If your going to warmer and sunnier countries where you tend to spend more time sat out side anyway even better.. Not much fun in UK on a rainy cold day, soon starts to feel cramped..
As for sleeping 4 people...!! No comment...

I always wanted a Merc Spinter converted, maybe later....

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Gromett, just had a quick butchers at your blogg......Optare Metrorider with a 5.9 Litre Cummins............Tiny?? have I looked at the wrong one?

Jun 22, 2011
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
pvc

We are on our first motorhome. A Westfalia Big Nuggett - Ford transit conversion.

We love it. In 2 years just finished 14,000 miles. Your analysis agrees with me in every respect. Go with pvc that what I say.

Richard Brown

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Gromett, just had a quick butchers at your blogg......Optare Metrorider with a 5.9 Litre Cummins............Tiny?? have I looked at the wrong one?

Ooops. Need to update the introduction page:Doh::Doh::Doh::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

i forgot about that one.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
PVC are ideal for two touring :thumb: not sure they would be big enough for full timing ::bigsmile: but certainly 4 / 6 weeks without probs.Most vans are under 6 ft wide so for my mind a longtitudinal bed is a must,but the new style fiat,cit and pugs are alegedly 6 ft 4ins wide :thumb: so youcould get away with a across the van bed.Layout is the single thing to consider in any van more so in a smaller van ::bigsmile::winky:
terry

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Our family business was and still is based on panel van conversions, we have built on everything from the old fiat 850's, All of the VW's, Landrovers, Transits,Bedfords, Most of the Mercs even the tiny Seat's, some we fitted with Hi top or elevating roofs, Also done a couple of Trucks. in fact we will build on or in vertually anything. You won't see any complaints about panel van conversions from me........ Even ex prison service ones......Mark

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
My brother has one and I must admit I am tempted. They are on my options list for next spring.:thumb:

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
PVC's

We looked at PVC's in depth before buying our current Bolero, our's is the 600 EK Compact model, so actually shorter than some PVC's, we also liked the airy feel to our M/H as compared to Vans which seemed (to us), a bit gloomy inside some of them, price was a consideration as well.:thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
been there, done that etc

after numerous pvc's over 20+ years including a few we converted ourselves, there are good and bad points to consider. especially the space and load capacity

if you plan extended touring, you will no doubt need a shower which loses a huge chunk of the van

fixed beds likewise are impractcal due to floor space, unless you are tiny and fit in a bed in the high roof

a 4 berth panel van... are you having a laugh??

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I am on my second IH they have to fit your needs just like anything else its a good idea if you can try one out first before you buy

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
We had an Aclass Rapido (our first motorhome) and, although we had good times in it we were disappointed with the quality and stupid things going wrong. :shout:
For instance - they supply booster cushions for the front seats because the table has to be at a height to accommodate the rear passenger seats.:Doh:
And the incredible weight of the table plus it's extension to reach the drivers seat, the in-adequate fixing of the table to the wall.:Doh:
The rear passenger seats are way too heigh above the ground so my legs dangled like a child's would!:Doh:
The fridge freezer was the biggest nightmare. Couldn't keep cold mostly due to incorrect installation.:Angry:

Anyway, we changed it for a 2004, Mercedes (Westfalia) James Cook, high (very) top conversion.
Goes anywhere except under low bridges!::bigsmile:

The quality is second to none (I think Manxcat will agree) and the layout is amazing. Sleeps four, seats five, large cooking area and lovely bathroom.::bigsmile:
We have only one complaint - the interior is too grey! But we can live with that.:roflmto:

We've done five weeks away and don't get claustrophobic. We had a safari room which we used twice on long stay but found it un-necessary so sold it and use just the awning and a kitchen tent.#

Though the new Mercedes James Cook looks fantastic I wouldn't go for it. I think it's been designed by a team who have never used a motorhome for longer than a weekend.

So, :thumb: to PVCs

Mike and Annie

Last edited:

thearchitect

Free Member
Sep 20, 2012
North London
Funster No
MH
Getting closer.
Exp
Short stint 1972-6 none since
I have also been casting a glance at PVC's, for all the reasons you mention. I have been quite taken with those produced by UK company 'Vantage' and I hope to have a good look at them at the NEC next week. Does anyone own one of these or have an opinion on their vans or the company?

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
been there, done that etc

after numerous pvc's over 20+ years including a few we converted ourselves, there are good and bad points to consider. especially the space and load capacity

if you plan extended touring, you will no doubt need a shower which loses a huge chunk of the van

fixed beds likewise are impractcal due to floor space, unless you are tiny and fit in a bed in the high roof

a 4 berth panel van... are you having a laugh??

Tribune Tribute 669 looks good to me

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We owned and toured in a Timberland for 4 yrs living in it for 11 months through UK, France and Spain. Then we went up to an A/S Sigma EL and will be at the NEC looking at going down again poss on a Sprinter sized vehicle. Have to see whats on offer

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
PVC are ideal for two touring :thumb: not sure they would be big enough for full timing ::bigsmile: but certainly 4 / 6 weeks without probs.Most vans are under 6 ft wide so for my mind a longtitudinal bed is a must,but the new style fiat,cit and pugs are alegedly 6 ft 4ins wide :thumb: so youcould get away with a across the van bed.Layout is the single thing to consider in any van more so in a smaller van ::bigsmile::winky:
terry

The fixed, cross bed in mine is 6'4" x 4'4" and there is loads of storage space underneath.

The lounge seats 4 in reasonable comfort.
The shower space is tight and for some strange reason the WC is high, so any one under 5'3" would need steps to get on it.
These things ain't cheap but they do hold their value well.
It is also rated at 3.5 Tonne.

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I love PVC's.. but I have to be careful in case one gets sucked in the inlet as I over take em..

Seriously, horses for courses, and if you are happy with a smaller van, then why not :thumb:

As we spend quite a while ( !!!! ) in ours, it is nice to be able to walk around a bit and have enough room not to get under each others feet all the time

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I keep bumping my head in PVCs!

Plus there's not enough room anywhere for any of the things we carry! The winterisation is non-existant, the tanks too small, the washroom to small and not enough berths.

However, for those folk smaller than us, with less kit, close to facilities and who only go out in the warmer months, the convenience of a a more compact PVC is ideal!:thumb:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
I keep bumping my head in PVCs!

Plus there's not enough room anywhere for any of the things we carry! The winterisation is non-existant, the tanks too small, the washroom to small and not enough berths.

However, for those folk smaller than us, with less kit, close to facilities and who only go out in the warmer months, the convenience of a a more compact PVC is ideal!:thumb:

Well that might be true of some PVC's but not mine.

I spent 2 nights in the Highlands last week and it got down to -5c I was warm and cosy. The winterisation in mine is as good as my last two Hymers and better than my Adria.
There is loads of storage in the wall cupboards, under the seat, in the over cab and under the fixed bed.
The roof height is 6'5" plenty high enough.

When I get the second leisure battery, solar panel and underslung PLG tank it will be doing a lot more free camping. Though, it is good for 3 or 4 days or maybe longer, just as it is.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
No disrespect or offence intended Pete, but -5 is the WARMEST temperature we can expect where we holiday in Winter!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back