Les Plus Beaux Villages de France

Discussion in 'France' started by maison, Mar 1, 2016.

1. maison

maison Funster

It is our ambition to visit as many of these as we can. We need a guide to them so that we can plan to visit the Villages in any area we are passing through.

Looking on line at Amazon, EBay, etc, we see pictures of the various book covers but nothing of the insides. Are they complete with pictures or just script, like the Lonely Planet guides? We can't tell.(n)

Belonging to the " guide books should contain pictures of what can be seen" brigade, can anyone recommend a suitable guide from personal experience?

• Like Like x 3
  2. worky

worky Funster

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. pjay

pjay Funster

Sorry, haven't got any of the books but just in case you didn't know, they have an English website with plenty of info and pics...

http://www.france-beautiful-villages.org/en

You can also get a Michelin foldout map with their locations on, should be available at each village or possibly get it online.

Pete

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. pjay

pjay Funster

Your fingers are faster than mine Clyde. :LOL:

• Like Like x 2
  5. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

A great idea, we had never heard of them, but this has just reminded me, we are just back from France and noticed a lot of signs, touristy type, with 'village etap' or something like that, I meant to photograph one for the sake of my memory, any idea what they are?

6. chaser

chaser Funster

Here you go(y):)
    http://www.francethisway.com/tourism/villages-d-etape.php

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Popeye

Popeye Funster

Thanks Clyde, ordered the map, looks good.

Griff

9. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

@chaser @chockswahay

As soon as I finished typing I thought why don't you try google yourself

Sometimes I worry about myself, many thanks (y)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

Shows how France welcomes travellers, ( love the provision of shaded parking place) while in Britain we tend to get No Parking /Camping/ Walking on the Grass signs !

• Like Like x 4
  11. pjay

pjay Funster

• Like Like x 6
  12. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

It is one bugbear I hve with Amazon. Generally I find them excellent but I sometimes look at their books of sheet music. As you say there is no way of telling what many of them contain. Such titles as 'Pop Hits' don't give much of a clue and unless they happen to list the contents (most don't) how on earth would they expect people to buy them? I have contacted them about it and on each occasion they reply saying' "quote the ISBN number and the contents may be looked up" which doesn't seem very satisfactory to me.

p.s. a bit off topic. Sorry.
    Wyn

13. Jenben

Jenben Funster

I seem to remember picking up a ' plus belle villages' type booklet in a French tourist office for free. They are printed by Michelin, they keep them behind the counter ( I think) and may not be available everywhere, you just had to ask but it was free. 2014 pictures below. French tourist offices are often extremely helpful and have some great guides and info. We always try to make use of them. 1456833497200-947634435.jpg 1456833617535-239965835.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Fenman

Fenman Funster

I might be slightly biased but our French holiday home for the last 15 years is in a Plus Beaux Village and is, of course, one of the nicest. Some of them are a bit twee and overdone but ours has no tourist tack just historic houses etc.

Can't wait to get there on Easter Saturday. Sadly first job is the clean out the lower garage that was flooded a couple of weeks ago. Thankfully only the garage and only a foot or two of water but the café next door suffered the flood too.

• Like Like x 1
  15. The Wino

The Wino Funster

Which one? just looked at the list I think we have been to at least 2 without realising!

16. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

We 'found' a couple last autumn on our trip through France.
    I know I'm mixing up my countries, but I expected the childcatcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang to appear from around every corner.

France has 100 of these places and they are continually being assessed. If they were in the UK you wouldn't be able to get within a mile of them. These places have FREE parking spots!!!

17. maison

maison Funster

Thanks for your replies.

I was aware of the websites but need a "hard copy" for the many occasions we can't get Wifi while travelling. My wife has 3G on her iPad but, as any frequent traveller in France will be aware, there is not universal coverage. Even the customer assistant in the phone shop admitted that 3G coverage was "crap" in rural France. Unfortunately, that's where we live, and mainly travel.:unsure:

18. moulin 87

moulin 87 Funster

Rocamadour and one or two others are the exception and are very touristy...Cordes sur Ciel is another where you'll have to pay to park or sneak in after 7pm...

19. Fenman

Fenman Funster

This is our village: http://www.france-beautiful-villages.org/en/segur-le-chateau
    I forget that you may not see the link in my signature so this is my own site: http://www.segur-prior.eu
    About 30km away is St Robert but I find it a bit boring to be honest.
    Turenne is another nice one in the Correze: http://www.france-beautiful-villages.org/en/turenne
    And another one we like is Curemont: http://www.france-beautiful-villages.org/en/curemonte
    The last two above have nice little restaurants that do a lunchtime special menu of the day at about €11 or €12 a head. Or at least they did when we last visited last summer or the summer before.

20. The Wino

The Wino Funster