Lens Filters....Which ones or dont bother?

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Irishrover, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Irishrover

Irishrover Read Only Funster

Hi guys, Wondering should I get a set of filters for my DSLR....as the title says, what do you recommend or do they take away from picture quality and therefore not worth the hassle?....cheers

• Like Like x 1
  2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

A UV filter is good as a lens protector.

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Irishrover

Thats one reason for using them ( A good one at that ). do they take from image sharpness/quality?

4. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

No, just a piece of good quality glass and a very thin coating.

I do have a polarising filter, very good for water shots.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Yes they can degrade a little, especially in direct light, unless you buy very good quality one. I always use Hoya Pro and they are great

• Like Like x 2
  6. Irishrover

Thanks for the link Jim...I havent a clue which are good/bad etc....will order a set....cheers

7. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Never use them. One of my lenses has a "Nano " coating. Whatever that is, but I assume it is there to stop reflections and encourage more light to enter the lens.
    Seems a backward step to fit a filter on the front, you lose all the benefit of the special coating.
    But, after many years of camera ownership and never using filters ( except for special effects) I found a scratch on the front element of one of my new lenses this week!
    Bu**er!
    I thought about fitting a uv filter on it, but, to be honest, the damage is done now and it doesn't affect the images. Still annoying though.....

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Hoya are good. Don't buy the very cheapest ones. For a basic UV filter look to spend £10-£15 as a minimum

I've got them on all my lenses just to protect them. I dropped a lens face down on a tile floor once. £10 UV filter smashed, £850 lens was fine. That's reason enough for me.

There are plenty of types but apart from two of them you can recreate the effects they give afterwards if you need to. Those ones are the circular polariser and neutral density. You don't need either of these unless you are specifically trying to achieve the effects they give. They are both ways of limiting the amount of light entering the lens useful mainly in landscape/outdoor photography.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Irishrover

Thanks @Allanm and @NickNic......For good or bad, I've ordered some Hoya jobbies.....Will give them a try and see how they are, If anything....they should protect my lens as you all have mentioned...thanks again guys(y)

10. NickNic

If you want to play with the others then you can get a cheap full ND kit from eBay for next to nothing. They aren't great and you won't get fine art results but they are fine to play with and get the hang of what they do without spending a couple of hundred quid on a real set.

There are some circular polarisers in Jim's link. It's not worth spending any less on them so stick with Hoya again.

11. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I'm glad the OP asked the question because it led me to the discovery that for a modern DSLR they are no longer necessary from a photographic point of view as the sensors have a UV filter built in!

So they are really just a dust cover now. :)

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/7333331953/should-you-use-a-uv-filter-on-your-lens

But I have ordered an ND filter recently so I can take some cliché shots of moving water. :D

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. NickNic

Yep, mechanical protection only. Of course it's far better to scratch or smash a filter than a lens so they're still worth having (y)

• Like Like x 2
  13. Shrimp64

Shrimp64 Funster

Definately a UV filter!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Irishrover

Thanks Nick....Ordered from Jims link....cheers

15. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

It's amazing how many people out there have high end Canon and Nikon lenses fitted with cheapo Jessops filters. As others have already said, protect the lens with a good quality UV filter.

A variable neutral density filter is fun for a bit of experimentation with very long exposures (ie making mountain waterfalls look like smoke). If you shoot in RAW format you get a great deal of control over the image which tends to make filters redundant.

As I buy in job lots of old camera kit I now have a large pile of the old Cokin 'creative' filters. As soon as I can find a filter holder wide enough I might have a laugh with some retro 1970s style DSLR photography, but much of it can be achieved in software these days.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Irishrover

Good article @DBK.....thanks(y)

• Like Like x 1
  17. tony_g

tony_g Funster

As so many of us spend time in sunny places I recommend a polarising filter...blue skies, fluffy white clouds and white buildings, unwanted reflections and shadows, all dramatically improved.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Clive

Clive Funster Life Member

I have what's left of a Cokin pro kit. The only ones I still use are the ND's, be they full, hard edge or graduated. Have always used UV to protect the lens and have always found this best with a lens hood to protect from side light hitting it (y)

• Like Like x 2
  19. gomotorhome

gomotorhome Funster

I also use a UV filter for 90% of the time (just as a lens protector, they don't do anything else on a DLSR) but PLEASE take it off for your really important photos.
    Manufacturers go to immense trouble to create that front element. Screwing a flat piece of glass in front of it always degrades the image (reflections, refractions, reduced light..etc).
    The most you can hope for is that you can't spot the degradation.
    Ask yourself "What would a Pro do?" (Answer..they wouldn't use a UV filter)

As for filters that do something creative:

1 - Variable Neutral Density. (Variable because they are so useful for making good quality video).
    2 - Polariser.
    3 - Photoshop (The best filter ever made).
    4 - Lens Hoods for all your lenses(Ebay sell perfectly good copies for a fiver)

Then, if you aren't shooting RAW files,....start shooting RAW files because, if you don't, you are discarding the "Wow factor".

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  20. Nethernut

Nethernut Read Only Funster

Agree with gomotorhome - as the wife of a professional photographer (ended up running photography in the Army) I would say learn how to use your camera in manual mode without any filters etc, keep a record of the settings you use to get used to the difference that different apertures and speeds make, and different ISO settings. Once you really understand your camera you will then know what you will need - nowadays nowt apart from Photoshop!!!!

• Thanks Thanks x 1