Lenny's 2016 Trek South

Discussion in 'Croatia Bosnia Serbia Bulgaria' started by Lenny HB, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

This is the first decent internet connection we had had since we started our trek 2 weeks ago, Fon connections fairly rare in Germany, using a paying hot spot at the moment. So now I can bore you with our trek so far.

This years trek started off with first night stop at Plage de Bray-Dunes as recommended by another Funster, got moved on in the morning by a Gendarme. Next morning onwards west to Caravan Salon at Düsseldorf, after spending nearly a week there (that was not the plan) see my report Post #37 in this thread.

After Düsseldorf on Saturday we headed south for the Mosel valley, spent the first night on a free stellplatz in Brodenbach.
    P1070201.JPG

Having a much needed lazy few days after Düsseldorf, carried on along the valley on Sunday and found another free stellplatz just outside Cochem.

• Like Like x 8
  2. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Monday stopped to have lunch in the van at Ediger, had a walk along the river bank nice stellplatz in centre of village on the river bank discovered one free space so left Mijhan there to ward of any Germans while I went and got the van. Success, she only had to tell one lot of Germans “who von zee var”.
    A very nice typical wine village spent a couple of nights there 2nd evening had a nice walk up through the vines to the top of the hill only 3 or 4miles but very relaxing, weather has been very good a few showers on Sunday apart from that wall to wall sunshine with temps between 22 – 30 deg.
    P1070203.JPG

P1070215.JPG

P1070244.JPG

P1070220.JPG

• Like Like x 13
  3. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Then onwards towards Bernkastel-Kues, about 5 miles past Bernkastel at Lieser found a cracking stellplatz that does not appear to be in any of the guides. It was like a park by the river with a Motorhome parking sign no servicing but it was free.

IMG_20160908_102503.jpg

Next day gentle cycle ride into Bernkastel part of the mission was to find a dentist as a couple of days ago I lost a big filling. After a nice lunch mission at dentist accomplished, although wallet €60 lighter. Also discovered Wine Street Festival at Lieser the coming weekend.

When it comes to lunch can't compete with @Robert Clark

IMG_20160908_142147.jpg

IMG_20160908_142150.jpg

• Like Like x 11
  4. scousebird

scousebird Funster

I don't know - it looks good to me

€25 by the way :LOL:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

On Friday gentle 18 mile cycle ride along the river and the wine fest in the evening, a very good evening. Spent some time discussing Britex with a German I think he was a local council leader, very much in favour of a Federal Europe.
    Saturday did an E-bike trail only about 12 miles took us through forest trails up to the top of the hills and through a few small villages on small roads, quite strenuous even on e- bikes.
    Back to the wine fest in the evening Ompaha bands everywhere Rock around the Clock played by an Ompha band was a first. Very busy tonight a great firework display, set off from the top of the vineyards the fireworks lit up the whole town from above.

P1070279.JPG

P1070280.JPG
    P1070346.JPG

Sunday moved another 100 miles south to Bad Dürkheim in the Rhine area temp 31 today at 4pm, yes you have guessed another wine fest, a big one for the area. This town had the biggest Saline wall we have seen about 300-400yds long. The festival was a bit of a disappointment it was in the market place tacked onto a big funfair not the same local atmosphere like Lieser and the wine didn’t agree with me feel a bit rough this morning (couldn’t possibly be the volume of wine).

P1070378.JPG

• Like Like x 10
  6. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

Did they notice your van was smashed up when you traded it in?

7. Wombles

Wombles Funster

Great to see you both enjoying your travels - loving the photos (y)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

All fixed by a local boat repair man absolutely perfect job. My dealer didn't bother to look at van. Also visited a carthago dealer in Bavaria would match trade in price not interested in looking at the van.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Monday lasy day and late afternoon carried on down the wine road, only made 20km to Neustadt an der Weinstrasse. Nice Stellplatz but right next to a busy very noisy road, town was a bit of a disappointment one interesting fountain that was about it.

P1070389.JPG

Next day carried on to Sankt Martin a whole 5km, stopped on the way to walk up Kelmit 643m (2109 ft) so it took us all day to get to Sankt Martin. Nice walk up through forests, summit was a bit overdeveloped for our tastes, large communications mast and a café to add insult to injury café was closed so no beer for Lenny.
    Sankt Martin is a lovely pristine village with a nice free stellplatz, well worth the stop.

Came across a rickity hide on the parth up to Kelmit.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
    • Like Like x 4
  10. Speve

Speve Funster

@Lenny HB love the B678 DL or PL have you decided yet?

11. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Boss prefered DL I prefered PL, the DL is nice and fresh looking but more expensive than PL as a lot of bits that are standard on the PL are options on the DL. DL was €5k (net ex VAT) dearer, further negoations got another 6K off and a furter 2K of options thrown in so now cheaper than PL.
    Visited a Carthago dealer in Bravaria and have got a very good deal on a Chic C line but although they seem better built than the Hymers we don't think we can live with the cramped lounge and poor showers. Don't know how big germans get on with them my wife is 4'10" and 7 stone and she finds the lounge small & cramped!.

So if we change think if will be the B 678 DL, with the deal we have been offered it would be silly not to.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Post #9 didn'tload fully, slowinternet so here is the rest.

Came across a rickity hide on the path up to Kelmit, sent the boss to investigate.

P1070400.JPG
    Sankt Martin

P1070424.JPG

P1070429.JPG

P1070431.JPG

• Like Like x 6
  13. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Wednesday left the wine road and headed east to Bad Wimpfen, a beautiful old town. Stellplatz at a wellness type health centre €8 but also got caught for €3.30 tourist tax could have parked in the station car park for €2 but would have been a bit noisy with the main road next to it.

P1070435.JPG

P1070436.JPG

P1070437.JPG

P1070439.JPG

P1070442.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  14. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Then on to Schwäbisch Hall much larger town but nice old centre and another free night on their stellplatz.

P1070462.JPG

P1070464.JPG

P1070466.JPG
    Next day went on to visit a Carthago dealer offered us a couple of very good deals but still not sure we can live with a Carthago. Carried on down towards Austria and spent the night at Immenstadt, good choice it was Octoberfest night.

P1070506.JPG

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Speve

Speve Funster

Smashing pictures Lenny looks like the weather is being good to you enjoy the rest of your trip.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Thanks, worse trip we have ever had for internet access finding it very difficult to post photos. Got the 3 deal on bosses phone can get around the no tethering for email, whatts app & facebook but not for general browsing and her phone hasn't got a nice big screen like mine makes ith too awkward to do good posts.
    Been pissing down last 3 days and cpld 12-14 deg, will be in Otaly later today hopefully warmer

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Baileysbus

Baileysbus Funster

These are great photo's Lenny (y) Thanks for posting them.
    Definitely inspiring me to go visit

• Like Like x 2
  18. sallylillian

sallylillian Funster Life Member

Lenny I know you have LHD like me but do the dealer's make any issue about the basic GB changes, sockets, lights and speedo on the px?
    Michael

19. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Mine is Euro spec apart from the handbooks which are in English and I have the kmh speedo dial I can put back in.
    Been given a price without anyone looking in the van

20. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Germany is often overlooked as a holiday destination quite a few Dutch around but only seen the odd Brit in the last few weeks.