Leisure or car battery?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Billy23, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

i am at Bristol Balloon meet and need to buy a new leisure battery, I have heard that some people don't buy a " leisure" battery, they just put a car battery in.

Any suggestions as to which one I should get please.

2. Flamenca

Flamenca Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  3. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

4. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I am not technical enough to have an answer to your question

However, they make 2 types, must be a reason

You need one to start the engine and another for everything else, I recommend you get a leisure battery for the everything else bits (y)

If you go for more expensive gel types make sure your charger is suitable, probably best to stick with standard acid types and fit the vent tube if inside :)(y)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  5. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Funster

I understand the new Varta/Bosch Silver Dynamic batteries have been developed for both functions, deep cycle and vehicle start, for cars which now have switch off when stationary and start automatically when you press the accelerator. I believe they are good value.

6. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

I spoke to Varta before replacing my leisure batteries last year and they advised against fitting the Silver Dynamic battery for leisure / habitation use. They make a range of batteries designed for the purpose.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Funster

8. Doctor Dave

Doctor Dave Funster

When I had a narrowboat I needed to replace all of my batteries - 1 x engine start and 4 x domestic. I went to a local tyre / battery dealer and after a long conversation re so called leisure batteries, and him talking to the manufacturers, I was advised to use lorry batteries (4 x 115 amphour) so that is what I did. Got a free engine start battery when I bought the lorry batteries as well! When I was out cruising (4 months at a time) I had an inverter running 24/7 to power a deep freeze, also had a 12 volt fridge working the whole time and even if we stayed in one place for 3 days never needed to run the engine for battery charging. I used to top up the batteries with distilled water about once a month and when I sold the boat at the end of last year the batteries were eight years old and still going strong. So as far as I am concerned so called leisure batteries could be a waste of money - go for normal lead acid ones and look after them.

Dave

• Like Like x 1
  9. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

battery technology has moved on in the last couple of years. Lead calcium batteries have near to double the recharge cycles of normal leisure batteries and some can be used as dual use. Engine batteries will do the job short term but wont last

10. vwalan

vwalan Funster

agree totally i find i get lots of years out of truck batteries same as you . have over the years tried alsorts and had friends try different things but truck wet acid does seem to win .
    mine are running an inverter almost 365 days a year. off solar panels .either when away in the truck.trailer ,or at home i run a lead into the house and power house fridge /freezer and a few odd items if its sunny. last batteries 6 years .

11. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

Thanks for all your replies, I will now think and buy. :)