Leisure battery's.. How big ? (1 Viewer)

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
We are never on sites. On site you mostly have the facility to plug in so no need.
Which you pay for - We have been in UK now since May and stayed on CC&C sites for next to nothing and less as we did not need to pay for EHU. Each to their own.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Another old wife's tale common among narrow boaters with old 1940's diesel engines. It no longer happens with modern engines or modern oils.

I can almost understand the reasoning for solar panels if you park your van up for winter on a storage site, to maintain the battery's. The cheaper alternative would be to take the domestic battery's home and keep them charged there.

Really ? Well as someone who up until November last year worked on such beasts as milk floats ( most were tranny/pug and Fiat based ) I can assure you my glaze buster was worked to the bone !!!!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Another point.. As mentioned before, even the smallest leak ( say 100ma.. and that is far from rare ) will flatten an 80aH battery down to less than 50% in surprisingly short time.

100mA = 10 hours per used amp. That equates to 55% battery usage ( so below the usually recommended 50% ) in 23 days..

We are pretty active but even for us there are occasions when we cannot get away for 3 weeks.. And when we do the chances are we would not be on hook up anyway

Removing the battery for winter is a good option if you are not going to use the van ( indeed, just disconnecting it along with the cab battery is good providing you have not got an alarm that relies on it ) but for 8 months of the year when a van might be used very regularly ? Bit of a pain in the bum really :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back