Happycampers1

Free Member
Jun 18, 2014
St Leonards, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 665
Exp
We tried our first "wild camping" today and found that the water pump does not run on battery. Is this normal as it works fine on hookup?
Also found the fridge doesn't light on gas. Glad we found this out before our winter trip to Portugal.
Any suggestion?Mike

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Sounds as if your battery's b........, have you got one even

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
as the pump runs from the 12vdc supply when on EHU it sounds like the leisure battery is knackered ( or missing as suggested ) .. test that first and also ensure it is charging ok ... the fridge also requires a 12v supply for the electronics to light on gas..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Isolating switch somewhere? Does the fridge actually spark ,the two could be unconnected

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
New battery but no 12v at pump and probably none at fridge points to the battery main fuse blown .. look for a fuse near the battery .. after that I'm afraid it's a case of tracing the supply cable and looking for it..

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
New battery but no 12v at pump and probably none at fridge points to the battery main fuse blown .. look for a fuse near the battery .. after that I'm afraid it's a case of tracing the supply cable and looking for it..
Agree but he says his lights are working

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Strange problem as the pump should run on 12v whether on EHU or battery power. Maybe the pump isn't getting enough voltage when not on EHU to start?
You could test this by running your engine for a few minutes then trying the pump (with engine still running).

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Strange problem as the pump should run on 12v whether on EHU or battery power. Maybe the pump isn't getting enough voltage when not on EHU to start?
You could test this by running your engine for a few minutes then trying the pump (with engine still running).
Depends what he's got, our pump or anything else in the back won't work with the engine running:(

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Is it a 1996 vehicle ?

Just thinking, that's a lot of time for some bright spark ( gettit ) to have frigged the wiring.

Powered from charger and not from battery is pretty difficult, assuming the charger is in fact charging the battery. Make sure you see in excess of 13.5V on your new battery when hooked up or it will be an ex-battery quite soon.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Are you sure that by coincidence your pump hasn't packed up, have you tried it again on hookup, fridge could be one of many things

Inthezone

Free Member
Feb 14, 2014
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Does the fridge work on 12v whilsy travelling, if it does then it suggests there is 12 to the fridge, have you checked the gas burner, has it been serviced the jets are prone to soot build up over time, get a caravan / motorhome engineer who has been qualified to look at it, the pump I cant help with sorry, Have you had the van long and did you get it from a dealer?
if you did go back and speak to them if not for peice of mind I would have a service done on the fridge and water system, we use a mobile guy who has been in the business 25 years and his charges are reasonable last hab service cost us £80 plus parts

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Does the fridge work on 12v whilsy travelling, if it does then it suggests there is 12 to the fridge, /QUOTE]

sorry.. not correct..there are two 12vdc supplies to a fridge

The 12vdc supplied to the fridge when traveling via the split charge relay is to supply the heater element only, does not supply the electronics.. The 12vdv for the electronics is a permanent independent supply..

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Thinking about this, why did you put a new battery on , was it because the old one didn't run the pump, or did it not run anything, maybe it was your pump that had give up not your battery, did you test the old battery,

iceni

Free Member
Dec 3, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Lowline Coachbuilt
Exp
27yrs
My silly mind is thinking that the pump is a 230v pump.
Mike take a look at the pump itself. there should be a label on with a rating. I wonder if somone has put a 230v pump of some sort in place of the 12v one. We sell pumps for fish ponds where I work but I have known daft buggers run their central heating from them.
See wha the label says

Inthezone

Free Member
Feb 14, 2014
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
sorry.. not correct..there are two 12vdc supplies to a fridge

The 12vdc supplied to the fridge when traveling via the split charge relay is to supply the heater element only, does not supply the electronics.. The 12vdv for the electronics is a permanent independent supply..

I stand corrected :)

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
My silly mind is thinking that the pump is a 230v pump.
Mike take a look at the pump itself. there should be a label on with a rating. I wonder if somone has put a 230v pump of some sort in place of the 12v one. We sell pumps for fish ponds where I work but I have known daft buggers run their central heating from them.
See wha the label says

:eek:I'm thinking if some eejit has done that, I'd want EVERYTHING else on the van checked!:eek:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
is there a separate switch for the pump that needs turning on, and a fuse for the fridge that has blown. You changed the battery, why did it need changing have you checked the new one is being charged. lights if LED take little power but a pump or fridge ignition requires a decent charge in the battery. What voltage does it read?

OP
OP
Happycampers1

Happycampers1

Free Member
Jun 18, 2014
St Leonards, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 665
Exp
Thanks everyone for all your help. I have checked everything and found that the pump has failed. Didn't think of this as it worked fine last week. New pump on order.
The fridge runs fine on 240v and 12v just not gas. I have tried to ignite is and can see the occasional spark but no ignition so its in for a service next week.
Still love my MH and looking forward to using the new solar panel and inverter I have just fitted.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back