Leisure battery (1 Viewer)

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I do realise no one can give me an exact answer but we have an autosleeper symbol , so a single battery and no solar panels nor a generator. We would like to go to a rally and we have no idea how long our battery would last. If we just used it to turn pump on when we used loo, and for a quick shower each(2 of us) and the lights just for a few minutes at night whilst we put bed up would it be likely to last 3 or 4 nights assuming its not a duff battery. We would not use tv, electronic chargers , kettle or hairdryer of course. If it went flat and we put engine on, how long would we need to run it to replenish it? Weve had 2 holidays and a few weekends but always on ehu and I presume its best not to let it go completely flat. Thanks for any advice and Ive put on my thick skin ready for the cheeky comments.:Smile:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I do realise no one can give me an exact answer but we have an autosleeper symbol , so a single battery and no solar panels nor a generator. We would like to go to a rally and we have no idea how long our battery would last. If we just used it to turn pump on when we used loo, and for a quick shower each(2 of us) and the lights just for a few minutes at night whilst we put bed up would it be likely to last 3 or 4 nights assuming its not a duff battery. We would not use tv, electronic chargers , kettle or hairdryer of course. If it went flat and we put engine on, how long would we need to run it to replenish it? Weve had 2 holidays and a few weekends but always on ehu and I presume its best not to let it go completely flat. Thanks for any advice and Ive put on my thick skin ready for the cheeky comments.:Smile:

That usage should be no problem at all, unless the battery is knackered. Don't worry about the phone chargers either (provided they're 12V, rather than mains through an inverter). By far your biggest draw there is the pump whilst showering. Just take a digital multimeter and keep an eye on the voltage. Don't let it go much below 12V when everything has been off for a few minutes. 12V is about 50% drained, provided it has had time to rest from any loads or charging.

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005

We have a leisure battery and solar panel and ours still goes flat - mind you I like my TV or video. If it does lose too much power you can always turn the engine on for a few minutes, that usually boosts the battery enough and is not as loud as some generators!

We had 2 new leisure batteries fitted at Stratford, so hopefully 'him indoors' will let me watch my telly in peace for a bit longer, from now on!

Ginny

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
with that miniscule load I would say you should be good for at least a week.

Water pump will be the biggest load at around 10 amps per hour.

Motor home boiler capacity will dictate shower (water flowing) time and I would think 10 mins per shower and water pump for toilet, kettle, washing up etc will amount to another 10 minutes per day.

Lights, between 1 and 2 amps per hour each light.

So, assuming a 100ah battery....30 minutes water pump and 1 light for 1 hour will total around 7amps per day....that's 5 days to 50% discharged battery....recommended max discharge.

If you have a standard split charging system system it will take many hours running the engine to charge a flat battery.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I think you need to do it just to determine how good the battery is..
It's summer so you wont be using much power anyway..

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
Another tip for you Carolyn.
Do you have a master switch or a switch to select between vehicle or leisure batteries with a mid "OFF" position?
If so switch this to off whenever possible, because this switch will control a relay. The relay will only take about a tenth of an Amp, but over the course of a 24 hour day will use 2 Amp-Hours.
Save every bit you can:thumb:

You will, of course, make sure the battery is full charged at home before you leave:thumb:

Gordon

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
keel hauled

Pappajohn You would be keel hauled if you used a shower for 10 minutes on HM ships.
My shower takes no more than 3 mins. 30 secs to get wet, soap up and 2 mins to wash off. If off EHU a sink wash with wet wipes does the job just as well.
We seem to be obsessed with a "daily" shower when all we are doing is walking, sitting eating & drinking. |Not exactly the same as doing an oil change!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back