leisure battery

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by JohnM, Aug 9, 2012.

1. JohnM

JohnM Read Only Funster

Hi,guys can any one help regarding leisure battery.Just came back after a week away and leisure batt gave up the ghost after about 60hrs even wth 100w solar panel we hardly used any power lights are all led and avtex tv was used for 2hrs only.Battery is a delta dg80 gel and located under drivers seat,is it possible to relocate this to locker and have 2 batts conected ? iff so how big a job would this be.:Angry:

2. peter marshall

peter marshall

Hi John
    I don't know how far the locker you intend to use is from the batts present position, I think you would need to join or replace pos lead to reach the new position , making a new neg connection there, then connect the two batts pos to pos and neg to neg, quite a straight forward job , the tricky bit would be extending the cables. Pete

3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

I suspect the battery is an 80ah one ?

that will give you around 40hrs use at 1amp drain.....20 hrs at 2amp etc.

how many LED's did you run and for how long.

TV may draw 2amps but for just 2hrs total it aint a lot.

take into account the water pump drawing up to 10amps.....in a week it may run for an hour total so 10amps used.

assuming no hookup, I would say your solar panel isn't doing its job...in fact i would say it aint doing anything.

4. maz

maz Funster

Just noticed you have a Hobby like me. I initially had a problem with solar failing to charge the gel leisure batteries properly. The solar regulator installed was not suitable for gel. Is this the first time you've tried the solar out or has it been working alright in the past?

5. JohnM

JohnM Read Only Funster

Hi, Maz we bought the Hobby a couple of months ago. Most of the time we used ehu apart from the odd night whilst we were travelling. The solar panel was fitted professionally for the previous owner. Its an Alden 100 watt. Spoke to dealer and have been assured that it is most definitely new battery fitted for us when we purchased Hobby. Previous owner took his new all singing and dancing battery out (quite right, I would have done same), it cost him £500.

6. maz

maz Funster

Was the all singing and dancing battery a gel one tho? I'm assuming it was from the price. :RollEyes: But if it was a super-expensive wet battery, the solar regulator could still be on the wet setting instead of gel. Might be worth checking ..........

7. JohnM

JohnM Read Only Funster

Hi,Maz will check with the company that fitted the panel tomorrow.:thumb: thanks

8. maz

maz Funster

Good luck - hope it's something simple like that anyway. :Smile:

Back to your original question on adding/relocating batteries. I've got three now - one under driver's seat, one under passenger's seat and one in the external locker behind the driver's seat. Not a major job - worst bit is getting the seats off. That's why I insisted on one in the locker as well - easy to get at the terminals.

BTW, you can get a 110Ah wet battery in the same space as a 80Ah gel one. :Smile:

9. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

Hi Maz when you added extra batteries were they all the same size also where does all the cables go ? We have a rienza with 1 small battery under the drivers seat and have wondered about increasing battery capacity. cheers Ivory55

10. maz

maz Funster

All 3 batteries were changed at the same time to the wet type and all are 110Ah. The cabling was already in place between the two batteries under the cab seats; cabling from the locker is hidden in the double floor behind the driver's seat.

It's generally recommended that all batteries are same age and type, but I don't think same size is crucial.

11. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

Hi cheers we do not have a double floor. This is our 1st motorhome we had a caravan before and are still feeling our way thanks ivory55