leisure battery (1 Viewer)

Jul 15, 2009
Bridgend south wales
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
I am going to:winky: add a 2nd leisure battery to my motorhome ,my query is do I need to put an inline fuse on either the positive or negative cable that goes between the 2 batteries and what rating would it need to be any advice would be appreciated

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I am going to:winky: add a 2nd leisure battery to my motorhome ,my query is do I need to put an inline fuse on either the positive or negative cable that goes between the 2 batteries and what rating would it need to be any advice would be appreciated

Fuse BOTH ends of positive, so if you get a short anywhere both batteries are protected.

50A should do.

OP
OP
paulj
Jul 15, 2009
Bridgend south wales
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Brian, this must seem thick but what do you mean fuse both ends of the positive cable::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
a fuse is needed at the battery end of the supply cable. as this is between 2 batteries fuse both ends as close as possible to the battery

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Sometimes if batteris are close there is hardly room for a fuse at all I have none on mine because the cable joining the batteries is only 4" long
However If the batteries are say 3 foot apart a fuse at each end means wherever a fault occurs in that cable a fuse protects it.
if you only fuse one end. the remaining cable is fed by the other battery and is still live even after the sigle fuse has popped
Geo

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I have 2 big batteries double decked with no fuse inbetween them, is it dangerous ????:Eeek:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
You just need to assess if there is a risk of your positive cable shorting to the vehicle chassis, overheating and causing a fire.
We do have fuses in our habitation battery charging circuit, but only on those parts of the cabling at risk of contacting the chassis.
For instance, a bared positive cable will not short circuit the battery by touching wood!

Of course, having your batteries securely located, cables out of harm's way and protected by additional sleeving and grommets minimizes these risks.

Hope this best answers your question.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Can anyone give me an answer ??
If the batteries are close together, which your will be if stacked, with a short interconnecting cable and there's absolutely no chance of trapping/chaffing the cables, then it wont be critical to add fuses.

i have 4 x 110ah side by side in a purpose built battery tray and all wires are on top of the bank so no fuses.

usually the two, or more, batteries would be some distance apart due to available space and would need a fuse at both ends of their pos cable

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
i have no fuse.. never have

I do not have an in line fuse.. never have on any motorhome or RV.

My two 100 amp batteries are side by side and have a short cable both positive and negative..

seems a bit over kill to me... I can just imagine trying to fit one:cry:

Bob:Blush:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
bob if your batteries are next to each other then there is no need for a fuse as has already been stated however if you had a euro box with its hab battery under the seat and wished to add a second one for example in the rear storage locker then fuses are required to protect the batteries.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My batteries are a foot or so apart and are fused. My fuses are 300A because of the inverter. If the fuses are too small you may find you are drawing current from one battery while charging another if the fuse blows without you knowing.
Theoretically your fuses need to be adaquate for the maximum current drawn divided by the number of batteries. IE if you draw 300A from two batteries in parallel, each battery will supply 150A, but if they were fused at 150A the fuses would probably blow quite frequently so have a bit of margin of safety.
If you're not running a large inverter then the 50A suggested would be fine.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back