Leisure Battery

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by SmellyFeet, Nov 17, 2009.

1. SmellyFeet

SmellyFeet Read Only Funster

Took Mildred, yes Mildred for our first drive at the weekend. Not as daunting as I thought, but you do have to plan ahead with your route avoiding some of the tracks that Norfolk classes as roads. Also discovered the joys of petrol station canopies. Our van (Rimor Katamarano, Transit 2.4) averaged 29.4 mpg over 50 miles, only 2-3 miles under what my volvo achieves, happy with that. Even had a fellow "vanner" (what are we called?) wave on the way back. Is there a special wave I should know about? I saw several different ones, but they were mostly from drivers of souped up Saxos and the likes.

On my return found out the leisure battery lost it's charge within minutes, so assuming a new battery is required, where is the bugger? There's one under the passenger seat in the cab, is that it or have I got to delve further into the beasts bowels?

Dave

2. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Check the battery levels first before you buy another one.

Peter

3. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Yes thats the leisure battery :thumb: then follow Peters(Johns Cross) instruction
    Geo
    Assuming you do have another in the engine Bay

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  4. imprint

imprint Read Only Funster

Like you, We were like castrated glow-worms (de-lighted) to find the waving when we first took our camper on the road, all of two months ago.(John o'Groats, almost to Cape Wrath, can't get there for gunfire, then back home to our own glen)

Every camper waved vigorously, which took us back nearly 50 years to our very firstAustin HealeySprite - every frogeye driver took it as a challenge to wave first.

Mind you, on my first camper, many few years ago, we enjoyed a different experience.

OK, it was amphibious, but we did tour and camp for years in our DUKW, eventually called 'Fergie' after another lady of ample proportions hit the headlines.

What we did was wave from the right hand seat at oncoming traffic. The oncoming driver, seeing a right hand and cheerful face doing this, waved back. The occupant of the right hand seat then waved with his left hand as well!

Bearing in mind that the coaming at the front of a DUKW meant only the head of the waver could be seen, the total panic of the oncoming driver at the 'look no hands' was wondrous to behold!

Cheers

oh, and as ever, thanks to JC (John's Cross) for their current opinion. Great outfit!

5. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

As well as fluid levels, had it been on charge ? 50 miles, hours or so would not put much in especially if it was charging the starter battery too. And that assumes the engine charges the leisure battery automatically, I don't think that's always the case.

Our battery is 6 years old. As is the van. Still works. I'll go and check the levels while I think about it.

6. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

yes, canopies can be a bit daunting at first...wait til you get to low bridges :Eeek:...but most canopies are over 14ft so fuel tankers can get in.

by souped up Saxo's i can only think you mean citroen Saxo's.....very unusual to have car drivers wave at you. (apologies if i missed something there)

no special wave as long as you get a wave back [​IMG]

as Geo said, if theres another battery under the bonnet then the under seat one is your leisure battery.
    to get to it fully you may have to remove the seat.....there'll be two bolts front and back of the seat, maybe in the runners.

[​IMG]

7. SmellyFeet

SmellyFeet Read Only Funster

Update

Sorry it's been a while since I updated this, end of year accounts and all that. The leisure battery is under the seat. Got it out last night, fortunately I didn't have to take the seat out, but bugger it was tight. One of the cells is low, will top this up and put it on my charger in the shed and see if it holds a charge. Should it be charging when the van is connected to the mains?

Dave

8. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Yes Dave .. it should

jim