Leisure battery'

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Shirley, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Shirley

Shirley

i have 2 leisure batteries, and a solar Panel, and there,s no power going through to the van ? This is our first winter, and not used the van since October, should I have done anything sooner, I have had it plugged into the house electric all day, but nothing has happened. It's afiatdulcato. Any ideas please

2. f6c

f6c Funster

Have you switched 12v?

3. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Plug something into a mains socket in the van to check your mains connection is working.

What is the battery voltage ?

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

New batteries needed unfortunately.
    batteries need to be stored charged.

Some electronic 'smart' chargers cant detect a flat battery and need 7 or 8 volts minimum to start charging so that could be one reason why it isnt charging.

If you have another battery try connecting both together, pos to pos..neg to neg, to put some power back in the dead one then put on charge....it may work but i still think the battery is shot.

I havent used mine for a couple of months, relying on solar to keep charged.
    I forgot to turn on the charger and unfortunately the alarm and tracker took more out than solar put back in (completely dead, no voltage at all).
    turning on the charger did begin a charge but I know, without doubt, it will not hold it and will need a new battery before spring.

5. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Just make sure you have the electric plug in the side of the van in correctly. So easy not to click it in fully.
    Then check your charger is turned on (light on ?)
    Fuse on the battery is a common problem, check its not blown or loose.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Shirley

Shirley

Not sure of the voltage, will try fuse in the morning, thanks everyone

7. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

My check for mains inside is to look at the fridge, see if the mains light is on, a lot of controllers also have some kind of indication

but you do also need to check the charger, but it is unlikely to have turned itself off, unless you have a switch inside somewhere
    another point, even if one battery has failed it will drag them both down, I bought 2 new batteries when I only needed one, but depending on the age of yours it may be best to change them both if over 3 years

8. Targetpaster

Targetpaster Funster

I have had exactly the same problem. Stored in a warm, insulated, chicken shed. Brand new M/H, 80 miles on the clock! Left on hook up and now flat as...
    I suspect that the power from batteries may be going 'out' when electric supply is off for 17 hours a day as storage owner only has supply on between midnight and 7am (tariff). For you techies then.. Is that likely do you think?

9. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Hi

7 hours a day should be more than adequate to keep your batteries on top form, are you talking about the habitation or your vehicle starter battery as not all charging systems include the vehicle battery in the charging regime from hook up. If talking habitation batteries you need to check the charger is switched on, what voltage do the batteries show when the charger is on. If they are flat flat they may well be damaged beyond rescue.

Martin

10. Shirley

Shirley

Hi Martin n Jen, had my leisure batteries checked today, and they are full, also the fuses are all ok, it seems there,s no power getting from batteries to the lights etc, very strange

11. Targetpaster

Targetpaster Funster

Engine battery fine. When I left van a couple of weeks ago it was showing 12.3 and I left it with absolutely no little lights etc showing anywhere! RCD was in the right position and charger was on . You're probably right about 2 kaput leisure batteries. Very irksome considering MH is brand spankers. Not even spent a night in it! Doesn't give me very much confidence in the system

12. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

Shirley,without putting a too finer edge on it,how many threads are you going to start with the same problem ?? I think you must be a little confused as to how to respond to the answers the people are are trying to give you..they like me are trying to follow and help you resolve th problem you have with your van .

13. Shirley

Shirley

You re right, havnt got a clue, sorry to be a pain xx

14. Boringfrog

Boringfrog Funster

We are trying to help you, but if you just keep to one thread it makes it easier. Did you not find an auto electrician to help you?

15. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

You only have to post your reply in the box underneath the response as you have just done and click on "post reply" simples.!!

16. Shirley

Shirley

Thank you I think I've got it now, it ll be weekend before auto elec will come, but I can wait, hope it's something simple, will let everyone know, in case it happens to them, thanks again for all advise,

• Like Like x 1
  17. Boringfrog

Boringfrog Funster

Hopefully just a case of replacing leisure battery, hope you get it sorted quickly and cheaply. :)

18. sallylillian

sallylillian Funster Life Member

12.3 is very low, engine battery is not fine.

19. Targetpaster

Targetpaster Funster

That was the voltage shown on control panel for leisure batteries not engine.

20. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

The system in our Autotrail is a Sargent
    The voltages showing on the control panel always read .4v low
    Even tried a new panel but got the same readings