leisure Battery whilst driving. (1 Viewer)

Summies

Free Member
Sep 6, 2009
Funster No
Hi there only had my first motorhome Ace milano for a couple of weeks now. And am curious as to how i can get power in the back whilst driving ie lights and 12v tv power socket for the kids.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
you need to find and bypass the habitation 12v cutout relay.

could be anywhere....what van have you ?

Ooops just re-read your thread.

no idea where it will be.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Summies

Free Member
Sep 6, 2009
Funster No
is it safe to bypass. and is there a reason why not too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
is it safe to bypass. and is there a reason why not too.

i believe the majority of eurovans dont have one......permenant 12v supplied to rear.

appears to be a very british thing.

if you dont have a voltage stabilizer for the tv the higher voltage (14.8+v) while driving will blow the tv...if its an lcd one.

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
or sell the children n get a dog .ha ha didnt mean it really. cheers alan,

OP
OP
S

Summies

Free Member
Sep 6, 2009
Funster No
Yea it would be easier to sell the kids. :ROFLMAO:
I was thinking it might just be a simple switch or disconect a few wires, seems a bit daft really that all the lights water pump etc can't be used whilst engine is on. I already use the cig lighter for the sat nav but i do have one of them other sockets up front so maybe i can sort something with that. I have't bought the TV yet i am still trying to decide what to get.

david price

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Bridgenorth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
5 years
I have fitted 2 extra 12v sockets in hab area for tv,gameboy etc while traveling.I have them connected direct to hab battery with an inline fuse.Not expensive and easy to do,but you may have to get behind panels etc to keep cable tidy.
Dave

barbt

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
KENT
Funster No
Exp
two
Hi there only had my first motorhome Ace milano for a couple of weeks now. And am curious as to how i can get power in the back whilst driving ie lights and 12v tv power socket for the kids.

We have an Autocruise and onour electrics panel we have a "charger" switch, this charges the leisure battery while we are driving - we just have to remember to switch it off when we stop the engine for any length of time.

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
My son-in-law has the 07 Ace Milano and was told it is a legal requirement on vans after a certain age. He did as was suggested earlier, he ran a fused line from the battery along to the cupboard unit then placed two 12v plugs on the side of the cupboard. Now the kids can watch tv or video whilst on the move.

Don

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
i believe the majority of eurovans dont have one......permenant 12v supplied to rear.

appears to be a very british thing.

if you dont have a voltage stabilizer for the tv the higher voltage (14.8+v) while driving will blow the tv...if its an lcd one.

My solar panels regularly take the voltage over 14.8v before shutting of and I regularly have the TV and the computer running without and problems.

I think that the equipment is far more robust then you think it is. At least my is.

Doug.

Phil

Free Member
Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
Hi Barbt, I'm not sure why you switch the leisure battery charge switch off when the engine is not running, the connection to the alternator should automatically disconnect once the ignition switch is turned off.

I leave my switch in the 'leisure' position at all times, then when travelling it charges the battery and when parked up provides 12v to the lighting and pump. Also it allows the leisure battery to be charged when on a campsite from the built in charger if required.

Phil.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
My solar panels regularly take the voltage over 14.8v before shutting of and I regularly have the TV and the computer running without and problems.

I think that the equipment is far more robust then you think it is. At least my is.

Doug.

Well doug.......those old valve sets could take some voltage variations i suppose....::bigsmile::winky:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

It's a strange requirement of some British Caravan Manufacturers Association I believe.

Easily defeated.......but, what if you had an electrical fire on the move, what would your insurers say ? Small point I know.

Our Burstner does not have this absurd wiring.

Best idea, swap for a German van.

OP
OP
S

Summies

Free Member
Sep 6, 2009
Funster No
Ok after a bit of a poke around i have found a couple of wire ends and conection block just below the fuse box , they are the same colour as those coming of the battery and after reading through a few instructions it appears that this is installed so a solar panel may be fitted.
So i was considering giving these a try with some form of satbilizer to conect to my tv. Any thoughts?:Eeek:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
It's a strange requirement of some British Caravan Manufacturers Association I believe.

Easily defeated.......but, what if you had an electrical fire on the move, what would your insurers say ? Small point I know.

Our Burstner does not have this absurd wiring.

Best idea, swap for a German van.

Or a French one. Everything still works with the engine running, though I disconnect the TV just in case.:Cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back