Mar 29, 2014
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2013
Hi all
Ok the world of leisure battery is like a mine field. Thanks to your help we now know about AH and more is best. The problem now is what brand, I have been looking on the net for brand and price but we have more brands than people. so can you guys recommend a brand based on the YEARS you have used it ? NOT if you have just got it.

Last edited:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi all
Ok the world of leisure battery is like a mine field. Thanks to your help we now know about AH and more is best. The problem now is what brand, I have been looking on the net for brand and price but we have more brands the people. so can you guys recommend a brand based on the YEARS you have used it ? NOT if you have just got it.
Hi Connie

We sell "Banner" leisure batteries and find them to be excellent, we would certainly recommend them!!!

Glenn Harris Workshop

www.johnscross.co.uk
01580 881288

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
Banner have a good reputation. I bought mine from Roadpro (with the funster discount) they are just down the road from me. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
There was a 80Ah Banner in our van when we bought it in February 2012 so I don't know how old it is. It keeps its charge and quickly recharges via the solar panel when we are using the van.

I'll be buying another Banner when the time comes.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
I have Banner.and never had a problem.
Mel

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
I have two Optima Yellow Top gel-filled batteries.

These are deep cycle and are well-known in Land Rover circles for their immense durability. Udo had them when I bought him. They're not cheap.

I can't comment on any others specific to leisure use, though.

For my cars, I always buy Bosch. One of them gets a very hard time turning over a 2.25 litre petrol engine from cold after being left for months and it always amazes me how it copes.

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
Listen to Charles Sterling, he has strong views on battery types.
Then buy big black and cheap.
Big 'cos the more storage of power the better, black 'cos you are likely to pay over the odds for a similar battery, maybe even the same battery, with colourful labels plastered all over it.
Cheap 'cos simple technology is th way to go.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJZlounw4oE"]Charles Sterling discussing the range of batteries for the leisure market. - YouTube[/ame]

Gordon

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006

These are deep cycle and are well-known in Land Rover circles for their immense durability. Udo had them when I bought him. They're not cheap.

For my cars, I always buy Bosch. One of them gets a very hard time turning over a 2.25 litre petrol engine from cold after being left for months and it always amazes me how it copes.

So Optima are basically starter batteries then!:roflmto:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We use our van a lot and we certainly give our batteries a hard time. The original AGM batts were just about knackered when we bought the van so we replaced them with 2 Banner 110 amps which are not cheap. We had a problem in the Pyrenees and had to use one Banner as a starter battery and use one for leisure. Unfortunately the leisure one went flat not dead flat but still flat enough. That was the end of it totally scrap wouldn't hold a charge again.
After that I swore I would never buy another so called Leisure Battery again. Bought 3 115 amp traction batteries through a link Jon (jonanshell) gave me and relocated them and have not had a problem since and we really give em some abuse. By the way they were the same price as the Banner 110 amp ones.
In my opinion it really depends how you use your van if mostly on hookup or mostly spring and summer use I suppose Leisure Batteries will suffice but never again for me. Stuck in the mountains in November once with no power was once too often.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Alan at A & N Caravan services has given me some very useful information re batteries and has advice here: http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/battery-technology.php.

He repairs battery chargers and has extensive knowledge of batteries - including those that cause the problems that he fixes.

I bought a Varta Silver Dynamic on his recommendation but have not had it long enough to comment on it.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Listen to Charles Sterling, he has strong views on battery types.
Then buy big black and cheap.
Big 'cos the more storage of power the better, black 'cos you are likely to pay over the odds for a similar battery, maybe even the same battery, with colourful labels plastered all over it.
Cheap 'cos simple technology is th way to go.

Charles Sterling discussing the range of batteries for the leisure market. - YouTube

Gordon

big doesnt always mean more store capacity.

Plate thickness, number and structure are far more important.

My car has a 100ah Bosch (re-branded as Mercedes), fitted from new in 2007, turning a 3ltr V6 diesel and is in excellent condition.

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
based on many years of experience, I use alphaline batteries, which have been excellent value for money and performed really well. nearly half the price of a banner of the same type (which is excellent) but with a 4 year warranty and reassuringly heavy because of thick plates
Broken Link Removed 125ah £84.50

Broken Link Removed 110ah £65.50

Broken Link Removed 88ah £53.50

oh and next day delivery included in the price:thumb:

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp

The best batteries I have ever had are the Optima 5.5 yellow, they have round cells hence quick charging which is a bonus if you have solar panels, they are dual purpose and originally used mainly in the Marine world

the only one that got near it was Varta 110amp

Attachments

• OPTIMA.jpg
    OPTIMA.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 9

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
I will stick to my banner.it gives great service.and they last for years.::bigsmile:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yes I'm with TheBig1 best bang for buck by a long way
Broken Link Removed

UK Pete

Free Member
Jan 16, 2014
kent
Funster No
MH
Renault van conversion
Exp
on/off since 1991in campervanss
Yes I'm with TheBig1 best bang for buck by a long way
Broken Link Removed

I am also using these batteries, i will report back in a few years time how well they do
pete

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
So Optima are basically starter batteries then!:roflmto:

But!!! with lots of us using high power inverters 2-3kw you need these high discharge batteries (starter type) or your very nice leisure battery will die.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
But!!! with lots of us using high power inverters 2-3kw you need these high discharge batteries (starter type) or your very nice leisure battery will die.

But most leisure batteries ARE starter batteries!
A proper deep discharge traction battery (there is no such thing as a non-traction deep discharge battery) will happily discharge at a rate matching its Ah rating for short periods without damage.

Any battery with a cranking capability is not a deep discharge battery, it is a starter battery and as a result, its deep discharge capability will be very short-lived.

There is so much crap sprouted about batteries on the net it is unbelievable. If you want to know what is the best battery is for deep, repeated discharge and long life, look at any access platform, power pallet truck, floor sweeping machine, milk float or electric tug.

Industry uses open lead acid traction cells. The only exception to this rule is in environments where an acid spill could be hazardous to product hygiene or battery maintenance is not desired. In this case, lower performing, slower charging gel cells are specified.

We have full traction monoblocs on board and they power our inverter just fine. They have been doing that for 5 years now, they are charged at 90 amps plus and they still have their full capacity despite all the abuse.

I am a senior technician for a large warehouse machinery manufacturer, I will stick with what my experience tells me will do the job reliably.:thumb:

I try to share my knowledge but I understand some will buy their batteries with different priorities in mind. I think the top priority for a battery is to store and supply current when you need it! It is that simple!::bigsmile:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I have 3 banner batteries, they do the job only had them on test for a few weeks,,,:thumb:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I have 3 banner batteries, they do the job only had them on test for a few weeks,,,:thumb:

No cranking current specified for Banner Energy Bulls Paul!

They are industrial batteries in a pretty coloured lightweight case!
I reckon the plate thicknesses aren't far off proper traction monoblocs, judging by the weight.

A good buy.:thumb:

Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
I had this dilemma a couple of months ago. The big issue for me was that there was no way to vent the batteries in their current storage are without drilling the floor which I didn't really want to do. So that put me off the Banner batteries and the trojan ones that jon and shell recommend. Although those would of been my preferred options. I've gone for a and n 's recommendation of the bosch s5 x2 100ah and allegedly these don't need venting. Its too early to tell how they will perform as the solar is constantly topping them up, but they are fine so far and not too dissimilar to the 2 x 110 ah AGM batteries i had before.
I also agree most leisure batteries are very similar to modern car batteries. its a minefield!!!!:Smile:

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
We had two Lucas batteries in ours when we bought it. They are 'only' 85A and relatively small, but our misgivings were soon laid to rest. Three days off grid in winter with diesel [high battery usage] heating, telly etc barely seemed to dent its capacity. Did some research and it appears they're sold as golf buggy batteries - weighing 25kg each despite their small size. Never seen these mentioned in any battery thread before, but they certainly work for us.

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I thought leisure batteries had to be gel for safety reasons - as in gasses produced during recharge?

Does one have to match the battery and solar panel?

I would like to up my capacity, I have a 75 Ah battery (Labelled K20 = 75Ah/ k100 = 85Ah (Solar)) I think this means it gives out more power if you drain it slower? Not sure why it has solar on it though? It is a dryfit sportline SL75

My solar panel we have guestimated is 80 w

Can I just put in a bigger battery and it will charge more slowly? Or would I have to add another solar panel?

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I thought leisure batteries had to be gel for safety reasons - as in gasses produced during recharge?

I would like to up my capacity, I have a 75 Ah battery (Labelled K20 = 75Ah/ k100 = 85Ah (Solar)) I think this means it gives out more power if you drain it slower? Not sure why it has solar on it though? It is a dryfit sportline SL75

Can I just put in a bigger battery and it will charge more slowly? Or would I have to add another solar panel?

You can (and probably should) add a bigger battery. However, you can't have too much solar, either!

The solar is your tap and the battery is your bucket. You can have a big bucket and a small tap, it just takes longer to fill. However, If you are watering your lawn for weeks, even a huge bucket won't help if the tap is only a dribble.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
[HI]no but its sensible to fit a sealed battery and a vent pipe to outside[/HI]

[HI]no but as a rule of thumb 1 solar panel per battery installed is sensible[/HI]

[HI]you need to check the age and condition of the old battery before adding a new one. if the old one fails it will quickly kill the new one[/HI]

the bigger the battery the longer it will take to charge or you need to increase the rate of charge. the analogy above with taps and buckets works well. was taught this way myself and often use it to explain rates of charging:thumb:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
As suggested the advice is not to mix type and age, but if you only intend to do one at the moment possibly go for the same type and ah i.e lead acid, gel, AGM etc but go cheap and plan on two matching next time and that would be the time to get the best you can.

As for which is the best I'm sure we will still be debating that when you ask again, I lean towards GEL as I have two 80ah on at the moment and they are now 8 years old and backed up with 320watt of solar they are still going strong and running a 2kw inverter for microwave coffee machine etc.

You pays your money and takes your choice, heavy suggests good robust plates for reliability in leisure application.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back