Leisure Battery Voltage Indicator.

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by GeriatricWanderer, Jun 5, 2015.

1. GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer Funster

Back in Sarfend for a while, then back to RSA.
    I have a 110ah leisure battery - fairly new.
    An onboard charger with a Zig CF8 with a green/red charge indicator.
    A compressor fridge with a cut out level of 11.7V.

It's hot down here (Aude) at the moment so I reckon the fridge is doing overtime to keep up.
    When I put my multi meter on the battery it's showing 11.59 so no great surprise that the fridge has cut out but the Zig is still showing a healthy little green light. No problem, I've got a charger rigged up to get the battery up to where it should be.

I have a nice little digi voltmeter for the engine battery which just plugs into the cigar lighter with a instant reading.
    I want to set up something similar for the leisure battery. Just a simple meter I can fix up somewhere.
    I can't do it before I get home in July but hopefully by then all you good electrical techies will have given me lots of links to EBay/Alibaba for suitable bits of kit and lots of advice how to, and not to, wire it all up.
    And as they say at the end of all good requests - thank you in hopeful anticipation.

My apologies if I'm not able to respond instantly but I will as soon as I get a connection.

2. iceclimber

iceclimber Funster

Hi, I looked into this as I wanted to do something quite simple for my Leisure batteries. However, in the end I plumbed for the Victron BMV 700 battery monitor which although expensive, is an excellent product and I now know exactly what is going 'in' and 'out' of the batteries at any time.

• Like Like x 2
  3. andy63

andy63 Funster

Got to agree.. Some sort of power management panel is the best way to go if you want to take the guess work out of knowing what state your batteries are in..

Tony if you don't want to go to that bother and expense why not just another socket wired directly to your leisure battery and use the plug in device you have.
    Ta andy

4. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I agree the Victron monitoring system is excellent. I have had one in the past and it knocks the spots off anything else available.

I now have a NASA BM-1 which is better than nothing.

A voltage meter is next to useless on it's own if you have solar panels though. Also a compressor fridge when operating will pull the voltage down when operating also giving you misleading readings.
    With both a solar panel and a compressor fridge your voltage meter will be up and down like a yoyo and next to useless to be honest.

5. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

I've added an Aldi 12v 3 x socket + 2 x USB extension block to one of my habitation area sockets and I stick a ciggie lighter voltmeter in one of those to keep tabs on the leisure battery voltage. On solar the charge controller keeps it at around 13.6v. On mains or alternator it reads 14.2v. Resting voltage with no solar input is around 12.8v (battery over 5 years old), so it seems reasonably accurate.

6. KeithChesterfield

KeithChesterfield Funster

I wired up a couple of Digital Voltmeters, one to the engine battery and one to the leisure batteries, and at less than £3 for meters and cable it shows the voltage at all times.

They are positioned out of the way behind the drivers seat, fastened to the panelling by Velcro, but easy to check.

Voltmeter 1.jpg

7. GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer Funster

Back in Sarfend for a while, then back to RSA.
    Thanks guys.
    I don't have any fancy set up, no solar, just a comp fridge.
    I was think about going as Andy suggested but then thought if I'm going to get into wiring up something like that I may as well do what Keith has.
    I'm still learning how long my fridge will keep running without some form of charging - just lost a couple of pints of milk so far so not too bad.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Neilfg

Neilfg Funster

I am experimenting (learning) with a seperate battery and Inverter setup for using a hairdryer and wanted a way of displaying the power usage, battery state and charge etc.., so have ordered one of these meters:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171204358909

I think it does a similar thing to the Victron or NASA device but at £22.50 this device fits my bill, I have used a smaller one before which worked fine but the above model comes with a shunt which should work nicely with the 2000w inverter.

All this for a hairdryer!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Gromett

Gromett Funster

That looks like great value, may have to order one to test out.

10. andy63

andy63 Funster

that does look like a very cheap power management panel... thanks for the link, and I may just get it to play with..the sterling pmp I have cost a lot more than that lol
    ta andy

11. Jimbohorlicks

Jimbohorlicks Funster

have you added a fan to the rear of the fridge cooling rack ?This may help to keep the fridge cooler using the same current-it only needs to be a pc type van. They work well in hot weather.Might be worth try

• Like Like x 1
  12. berni109

berni109 Funster

Thanks for the eBay link. More ways to spend money!
    Question for the electrickery experts - does the 'shunt' go in the earth line? IE cut the wire between Electroblok and the negative terminal and insert 'shunt'?

13. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

In theory, it could go anywhere in the circuit, so long as everything goes through it. In practice, putting it in the cable connected to the battery negative post is the best way to ensure that it gets ALL the circuit current flowing through it, as it's often the case that there are several separate wires connected to the positive post, but only a single common return to the negative.

If, by chance, there is more than one wire to your battery negative, move ALL of them to one terminal on the shunt & then connect the other side direct to the battery negative.

• Like Like x 1