Free Member
Sep 29, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
1990-1993 and 2013 onwards
We're changing our Varta 90Ah and need advise whether to fit 2 x 110Ah batteries or one 230Ah battery. We have space to fit either option. We would prefer to fit one larger battery but what are the cons to this please?
We are also in the process of fitting a solar panel as we mostly free camp.

Also how efficiently should the vehicle battery/alternator charge the leisure battery, i.e. percentage?

Thanks.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Do you have any details of your on board charger ? Some have a limit to how big a battery bank they can charge.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Do you have any details of your on board charger ? Some have a limit to how big a battery bank they can charge.
Which will be the case in either option

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Marzipan

Marzipan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Sorry, no idea :(, not technically-minded. Vehicle is a Burstner Nexxo on a Ford if that helps.

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
It depends on who is carrying it, a 230 amp should be very heavy if its a good one. A good 110 would weigh 25kg +.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
A 4a charger will charge a 230a battery.......eventually.

The ideal MAXIMUM charge current is 20% of the battery capacity

OP
OP
Marzipan

Marzipan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hmm, surprisingly and disappointingly (from my experience of this great group), these replies have not been very helpful :(. Shame, was worth a try though :unsure:

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I know nothing about this subject, all I can say is that in a previous MH I had 2 leisure batteries (as I do now) one of them proved to be faulty when only few months old and I was away on holiday. Some kind gent disconnected the faulty one and left me with one operating battery which sufficed for the rest of my holiday, which included some wild camping. From this experience I personally would go for 2.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I know nothing about this subject, all I can say is that in a previous MH I had 2 leisure batteries (as I do now) one of them proved to be faulty when only few months old and I was away on holiday. Some kind gent disconnected the faulty one and left me with one operating battery which sufficed for the rest of my holiday, which included some wild camping. From this experience I personally would go for 2.
For somebody who "knows nothing about the subject" you put up a very strong and valid case for two batteries.

Martin

OP
OP
Marzipan

Marzipan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Thanks Carol & Martin for your replies, I appreciate the query was multi-factorial with regard to 1 versus 2 leisure batteries plus the complication of added solar panel. What does seem to be coming out from a few threads is the use of inverters - another whole can of worms :rolleyes:. Being electrically non-savvy is a definite disadvantage when motor homing :(

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hmm, surprisingly and disappointingly (from my experience of this great group), these replies have not been very helpful :(. Shame, was worth a try though :unsure:

You were told before this post of yours. 1. weight is the consideration when it comes to one or two and 2. your charger will cope provided you believe the qualified electrician.

The solar panel is just a statement.

But finally, your alternator will charge your battery 100%.

Would you prefer 100 answers, all conflicting, as usual ?

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
Not sure I can add much more. I prefer two batteries for the reasons eluded to above and from a charging point of view it makes no difference whether its one or two but the type of charging system used on that particular vehicle may be relevant to the capacity it can charge.

OP
OP
Marzipan

Marzipan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Not sure I can add much more. I prefer two batteries for the reasons eluded to above and from a charging point of view it makes no difference whether its one or two but the type of charging system used on that particular vehicle may be relevant to the capacity it can charge.
Thanks Ranger but how do we find the type of charging system we have and its capacity?

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
What is the price per Ah of the two options?
Is one significantly cheaper than the other???
You asked for "cons" to fitting just the one battery which you answered yourself :whistle:.

Edited:
I just quickly googled
2x 115Ah Banner at Tanya.co.uk = £220
1x 230Ah Banner at Tanya.co.uk = £246

So there you have it - two batteries cheaper, less weight to manhandle, and more flexibility.

Reactions: DBK
Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
It is a personal preference...
I like two 100AH banner batteries.
Easy to fit and remove if one goes "duff".
The wiring loom was already there for two.
And, not as heavy.
We have one 100 watt solar panel and mostly wild camp..
NEVER been short of elektrikery and we DO watch a couple of hours TV most evenings.
We also have a 300 watt inverter that we use to charge toothbrush, laptops, phones and camera.
Good luck with what you decide on.
And remember, ALL those on this site, who take the trouble to reply to your queries,
MEAN WELL...So try NOT to get "huffy"...
Mitch. ;)

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
Thanks Ranger but how do we find the type of charging system we have and its capacity?
Sorry can't help with that one, hopefully you will find the maximum capacity the charge system can handle will be in the manuals you have with the van or post details or a photo of the control panel on here otherwise google is your friend.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I wouldn't worry too much about the on board charging capacity especially if you don't spend much time on hook up, as has already been posted whatever your charger capacity is it will charge at the same rate on one or two batteries so the only difference will be that with more capacity your batteries will take longer to fully charge and will last longer when you come off charge.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back