georgie boy

Free Member
Nov 6, 2010
liverpool
Funster No
MH
Concorde charisma
Exp
Hi just asking some advice about leisure batteries we have 2 fitted on our motorhome which we purchased around 2 years ago which were heavy duty deep cell. About 2 weeks ago we found the battery power wasn't lasting very long so decided to take the battery out to inspect them. When we got them out found that one of them had a very large crack down it's side which had leaked the acid out. So decided to clean up the crack and botch it up with epoxy resin the refilled the battery with distilled water. So then put it back on the van and put them on charge via the electrics on a campsite . They took a full charge But after about a week they began to die very fast when we put tv ect on. So took them out again only to find the one which I repaird was empty of acid again. So decided it was time to renew them. The problem being do we replace the damaged battery with the same make and size battery or would this make a problem because the battery on the van would be a lot older or do we get rid of the 2 batteries and replace with one large 220 leisure battery ?

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi there,

Personally, I'd be renewing either both batteries, or replacing them both with one very large battery.
If you only replace the damaged one with another of the same capacity, the older one will drag the new one down, as I understand it.
Our 3 x 100 amp batteries will all be replaced together, as a complete bank, when that time comes.

HTH,

Jock.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Yup.... agree with Jock

Change both or get one larger one ( but check if it will fit in your battery compartment)...:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Replace both. Whether you get two (same type as each other) or a single then that is down to personal choice although there are pros and cons of both.

As a side note and I don't want to sound condescending and apologise if it comes across this way, but you should never attempt to repair a battery. The battery could have easily exploded. Any battery with a crack or even just a bulge in the casing should be replaced. It is just not worth the risk or additional cost in the aftermath.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Just bought some 120 amp hour batteries from Frank's Caravans at the Newbury Show... advertised price £89.90 but I think he will do a deal for Funsters. (He did for me... but then I bought seven!)

They will be at the Stratford Show.

JJ

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
By topping up the split cell, you have effectively diluted the electrolyte, hence no capacity!

Battery replacement is the only solution unless you have an Iranian friend who has just has his proposal for marriage turned down and might have some suphuric acid going spare............!::bigsmile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if anyone attempts to repair a battery and has access to sulphuric acid.......never, ever, under any circumstances add acid to distilled water...the reaction will be violent and acid will be thrown everywhere.
always pour water on acid....never acid on water

if the battery is split, then it split for a reason....usually because it froze but occasionally by severe overcharging.

it will be knackered anyway so just replace it.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Just bought some 120 amp hour batteries from Frank's Caravans at the Newbury Show... advertised price £89.90 but I think he will do a deal for Funsters. (He did for me... but then I bought seven!)

They will be at the Stratford Show.

JJ

was the iveco a milk float before you got it JJ:ROFLMAO:

pudseykeith

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Leeds West Riding of York
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 Years
Just a point Georgieboy, where did the acid that leaked out go. If it was not washed off it will cause a lot of damage and rot and need attention.
pudseykeith.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back