Leisure battery not powering the bits it should - view sort

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by casls650, May 9, 2010.

1. casls650

casls650 Read Only Funster

Hi I only seem to post on here when I have a problems. My next post will be a non problem one. I promise :BigGrin:

I have a ford freda (mazda bongo) My leisure battery is supposed to power 1 x 12v socket, 1 x light, 1 x water pump. None of these are working. Even when hooked up to mains. I have checked known fuses and cant find fault. I have only had the van since March. I took Freda to a electrical place and the man sucked in his breathe and told me it was unsafe and that I should have it all redone. He quoted £450.

1) from these pictures what are the problems?

2) Is it that bad?

3) Ideas can I get the 12 v stuff working again.

4) Do you know of electrical place I can take this near Coventry for a second quote

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BIG THANK YOU AS EVER

Cas x[​IMG]

2. johnpengers

johnpengers Funster

That does not look right in anybodies book,it's a diy disaster and without alarming you should be sorted asap.
    On the brighter side what you are requiring of the battery is pretty basic so a good auto electician could help or the local caravan dealer who does repairs or,better still have a go yourself with the help of a friend who knows what to do.
    12 volt stuff is'nt that difficult to get your head around.

John P.:thumb:

3. keith

keith Funster

I would think the quote was purposely high. Looking at your pics it looks like a lot of work to tidy it up while testing every connection & they didn't want to be bothered.

Got a mate with electrical knowledge? I think all the connections would have to be tested.

Just a thought, is the battery fully charged? Are the battery terminals tight & clean? I would start there if it were me.

4. Fatalhud

Fatalhud Read Only Funster

Looking at that Spaghetti, I can see why he quoted so much.
    It could take 1 day just to work out what was doing what

Alan H

5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

the van wasn't imported from Italy by any chance!!!!!

i'v seen tidier spaghetti :Rofl1::Rofl1:

6. dazzer

dazzer Read Only Funster

Dont be daunted by it. Your system is so simple its childs play.

Are you any good at DIY and have a basic understanding of electrical systems??

Whatever you do the first thing is to disconnect the battery and charge it with a trickle charger for 24 hours, let it stand for an hour and take a voltage reading. Leave disconnected for a day or so and then take another voltage reading, if it changes much the battery is dead and needs replacing.

After that its simply a matter of tracing trhe wires, checking each connection and fuse (and fitting fuses if you dont find any!!!) and tidying it up. Shouldnt take longer than a day at the most. :thumb:

7. movan

movan Funster Life Member

So says a man! :Eeek::Sad:

8. dazzer

dazzer Read Only Funster

Thats a very sexist comment, are you saying ladies cannot do electrics??:Eeek:

One of the best auto electricans ive ever met is a woman!!!:thumb:

9. zen navigator

zen navigator Read Only Funster

To add my two penny worth.

You can ascertain if you battery is serviceable quite quickly.

Check the open circuit voltage i.e ignition off\no load on the battery.

Get a digital \ analogue voltmeter \ multimeter and test the voltage.

A fully charged battery will give approx a reading of 12.6 v, 12.4 for 3/4 12.2 for 1/2 and 12.0 1/4 below 12v and you in trouble. These are approx and you can get the exact reading off the web.

Then depending on the reading will determine the charge you need. a trickle charge is not going to do it if your battery is a 1/4 charge and has been like that for a while. You need to stage charge at 13.2 v to 14.4v to get the maximum performance\charge into battery. There are some good\cheap stage chargers on the market.

This can be done with a cheapo charge for a discharged battery 13.2v(2.2v per cell x 6) for 4 hours then bang 14.4v(2.4v per cell) for 12 hours total of 16 hours MAX! . Then check the battery. Leave for a couple of hours and check again and compare to the open circuit voltages. If the voltage drops to 12v or below bin and get a new one

There plenty of stuff on the web. Just google :thumb:

Clearly if your battery is good then start check for splits in the cable\wiring, fuses, signs of rust and corrosion etc.

Have fun

Dave

10. johnpengers

johnpengers Funster

Best advice on this thread,follow it and you will be fine,if you start worrying about all the jargon you will just confuse yourself !!!
    You will be fine.

Regards,John P.:thumb:

11. casls650

John

I hate to admit but this is a professional job, not diy. It was done by the company I bought the van from. Sounds like the electrician who looked at it was right. He though I had done it and struggled to believe that this was done by a company who offers conversions

Cas x

12. casls650

I have checked all the fuses I can find. You do make it sound so simple, but i think I must be a toddler. I have never even discounting a battery before, and I dont have a trickle charger or a volt meter. I will have another look at the fuses, just in case. The electrician I took it to wanted to redo all the writing as he didnt like what he saw. One of the things he did not like is that there is a lot of red wire used and it is not colour coded for the type of thing it carries. He said this means he dosent know easily what is live or neutral

Cas x

Cas x

13. casls650

14. dazzer

dazzer Read Only Funster

No Charger :Eeek:
    No Tester :Eeek:
    No Idea :Rofl1::Rofl1:

Get it fixed by a pro :thumb:

15. johnpengers

johnpengers Funster

Hi Cas,I honestly can't believe its been installed by a 'professional'. He certainly does"nt take pride in his work.
    Without teaching you to suck eggs but have you taken it back and complained ? you have obviously paid hard earned cash for a job that is not acceptable.
    Without sounding sexist I hate people being ripped off especially females.

Regards,John P :thumb:
    ps,let us know how you go on,it would be good to know you are safe and enjoying your motorhome.

16. nomadic

nomadic Funster

Cas,

As you are based in Coventry, may I suggest you have a chat with C.L.S. they are based within easy reach of you, and would be able to confirm what actually needs to be done. They may be able to advise by looking at your photo's.

www.centralleisureservices.co.uk I think

Nomadic

17. casls650

John

I have sent an email of complaint last week when I realised there was a problem. I am awaiting a reply a rang monday to try and speak to them, but person was in meeting. The secretary said she would get him to ring me back.

I will persever.

Cas

18. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

dont wait for them to ring you....the guy you want will always be in a meeting/off sick/on holiday and the secretary will 'forget' to tell him anyway..

keep annoying them with regular calls 'til someone talks to you.

19. casls650

bit of an update

Thanks so much for all the advise. I asked my neighbour and he has a battery charger. Stuck battery charger on battery, lights etc work. So at least I now know it is not fusing and it is something to do with the charging or discharging. I plan to charge for 4 hours (as recommended by said neighbour) whilst watching the dial drop, and then see how I get on. This should get me through the weekend and then I do need to sort out a professional.

thank you. Now the rant.

I am loathed to do this until I can get hold of the company who supplied my vehicle. I do not see why I should pay for the shoddy work, particularly as in the 2 months I have had the van I have had the van I have fixed a hose pipe leak, a diesel leak, replaced the under pans. I have also been told the Tyres are crud. ATS refused to balance them as they are so perished! yet it came with a 12 month MOT . :shout::shout:
    phew I feel better now

Cas

20. wildbri

wildbri Read Only Funster

Well that is certainly a lot of untidy wiring. From the pics I can see that you have a leisure battery as well as the vehicle battery, the grey box with RING written on it is a 4 stage
    battery charger for when you are on electrical hook up, I believe this will charge a fully discharged battery, it should have lights on when on mains. I think that I could see a split charge relay so both batteries should charge when the engine is running. You seem to have all the kit required but it does look a mess and all those cables should be tied up for safeties sake. I suggest that you send the photos to the people from whom you purchased the vehicle tell them that you have published them on a motor home forum and that we are appalled and that it should be quickly sorted. regards bri:Smile: