Leisure battery not charging

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by klaatu, Aug 24, 2014.

1. klaatu

klaatu Funster

We have finally become motorhomers by buying a 1992 Tabbert FFB 660 Classic, and we're going away (not far) for a few days tomorrow. I've been investigating a few minor issues that I've found, but one problem is proving tricky.

It appears that the leisure battery is not being charged either by mains hookup (via a Calira EVS 12/12) or by the alternator. It's the alternator part that bothers me most, as we will rarely use electric hookups. I believe there should be a split charge relay somewhere, and this may be faulty, but I've been unable to track it down. Does anyone happen to know where it can be found on this motorhome, or have any other suggestions as to what the problem might be?

Steve

2. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

normally near to the van battery. look for a wire from the positive terminal with a fuse near the connector. follow this back towards the windscreen and the relay/s are often found there

first check the fuse though

3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Wheres snowbird when you need him.....he's the FFB man.

4. pappajohn

Seems odd neither the charger or split charge is putting anything into the battery.

Check the battery with a volt meter.....it may be completely knackered.

5. klaatu

klaatu Funster

I think the battery is not too bad, but I'll probably get a new one anyway; it was pretty flat when I got it, but charged up OK using my battery charger to 12.8 volts. I put a meter on it and ran the engine, and tried the hookup, and in neither case did the voltage reading increase, which I would have expected.

I tried finding the fuse and relay as suggested, but it's really hard to get at anything under there with just the hatch at the front for access. I'll have another go when we get back.

Steve

6. pappajohn

12.8v while on charge, or off charge.

On charge it should be around 14v....off charge after an hour or so and no load it should show 12.6v

If the charger isnt working i would say the previous owner only used hookup pitchs.....you dont need a battery on hookup so the battery could be completely dead yet you still have 12v power from the power supply circuit of the charger.

Less than 11.9/12v with the battery off load will kill the battery in a few weeks

7. klaatu

klaatu Funster

12.8v off charge, and that didn't change with the engine started or the hookup connected. The previous owner did say that he only used hookups.

Steve

8. pappajohn

Put a load on the battery (4 or 5 interior lights should do as they are around 20watts or 1-3/4amps each) and see how long it lasts.
    I would expect around 5 to 6 hours so If it goes flat pretty quick its had it.

9. klaatu

klaatu Funster

We're back from our first trip (around mainland Orkney) and had a great time. The battery worked fine throughout, so perhaps it is actually being charged by the alternator.

Steve

10. klaatu

klaatu Funster

Just to tidy this up, I finally found out why the alternator wasn't charging the leisure battery. It wasn't charging the starter battery either. The wrong belt had been fitted, and the alternator was hardly turning. I have fitted the correct belt and tensioned it, and now both batteries are being charged.

Steve

• Like Like x 1