Free Member
Oct 4, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Toskana
Exp
3 Year
Can anyone help on this.I have a Hobby Toskana 750,I use the inverter now and then,I'm aways cautious of draining my 2 leisure batteries, so just limited use now and then.I do have 120w solar panel as well which keeps them topped up.
Today I used a 900w hairdryer,I switched the 2k inverter on and I also switched the engine on,everything was fine until i switched to full power on the hairdryer,the volt reading went from 12.7 down to 0.1 and it cut off.
A volt meter shows both engine and alternator are charging and working fine and give a reading of 13.5.But the engine battery has stopped charging the leisure batteries, I've checked the fuses under the drivers seat,all are ok. There seems to be no power at all to the leisure batteries from the alternator on engine startup.
I've hooked up to mains and all batteries charge with symbol on panel showing this.We do a lot of wild camping so if anyone has any thoughts on this,I'd appreciate it.
Both leisure batteries and engine battery are fairly new and do hold their charge.Is there a fuse or something stopping the engine battery charging the leisure batteries?

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Sounds like an inline fuse between alternator and batteries somewhere does your starter battery still charge? There may be a separate cable connecting alternator to leisure ?

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
As I said on FB, pretty sure there is a 50amp fuse. Mine is right next to the leisure battery. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Douglas1

Douglas1

Free Member
Oct 4, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Toskana
Exp
3 Year
Yes but we're, I was hoping someone had the same issue and could pin point were to look.

OP
OP
Douglas1

Douglas1

Free Member
Oct 4, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Toskana
Exp
3 Year
There are two 50 amp fuses next to the leisure batteries which are fine.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I think I've read in a previous thread that perhaps you need to reset the control panel I'm notsurehow you would go about that though.

OP
OP
Douglas1

Douglas1

Free Member
Oct 4, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Toskana
Exp
3 Year
Anyone no about resetting the control panel?

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Try this or search reset control panel
Discussion in 'Link Removed' started by Link Removed, Link Removed.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I don't know your vehicle but I'd be surprised if there wasn't a relay involved in that circuit. . Mine...a chausson has a relay that connects engine and leisure batteries when the engine is running..so could be a relay fault...if it isn't a fuse..
Andy.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The leisure batteries won't drop to 0.1v just because the alternator stops charging no matter what load you place on them. Are the hab electrics working?

OP
OP
Douglas1

Douglas1

Free Member
Oct 4, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Toskana
Exp
3 Year
The only thing not working is the outside step.This has to be operated with the switch,were before it would go up automatically as soon as the engine started.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
OK. So does the voltage across the leisure battery increase when the engine is running and does the fridge work on 12v?

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
I had a similar issue it was the fridge and step relay fuse next to the engine battery its the 12v supply to the hab side on an older Autotrail maybe yours is the same .

karl c

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2010
sounds like you my have overloaded the alternator, If your not getting a charge + the two 50 AMP fuses are ok.
If your with the AA or RAC get them to check out your alternator.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
The only thing not working is the outside step.This has to be operated with the switch,were before it would go up automatically as soon as the engine started.
To me that again points to a failure of a main relay linking the batteries... that relay would be activated by an engine run signal...as would your step closing relay... sounds like you've possibly lost that signal ... check your smaller fuses as well..
My engine run is on a 3A fused circuit. .
Andy

OP
OP
Douglas1

Douglas1

Free Member
Oct 4, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Toskana
Exp
3 Year
Found the fault, it was a 50 amp midi strip link fuse, located in a black box,close to the engine battery.Which is under the floor on the passenger side on my vehicle.
The leisure batteries are now charging when the engine is on,the step also comes up and engine battery on the control panel is back to normal displaying 13.9 volts.
Thanks to all for your advice.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Found the fault, it was a 50 amp midi strip link fuse, located in a black box,close to the engine battery.Which is under the floor on the passenger side on my vehicle.
The leisure batteries are now charging when the engine is on,the step also comes up and engine battery on the control panel is back to normal displaying 13.9 volts.
Thanks to all for your advice.

Great that it's sorted... a happy outcome.. so does that mean that you run your inverter only off the leisure in future without starting engine???

It will be the fuse at the engine battery end of the circuit.

D.
Sounds like you were spot on...(y)

Andy

19 kenny 42

Free Member
Aug 2, 2017
ackworth yorks
Funster No
MH
hobby 700
Exp
Can anyone help on this.I have a Hobby Toskana 750,I use the inverter now and then,I'm aways cautious of draining my 2 leisure batteries, so just limited use now and then.I do have 120w solar panel as well which keeps them topped up.
Today I used a 900w hairdryer,I switched the 2k inverter on and I also switched the engine on,everything was fine until i switched to full power on the hairdryer,the volt reading went from 12.7 down to 0.1 and it cut off.
A volt meter shows both engine and alternator are charging and working fine and give a reading of 13.5.But the engine battery has stopped charging the leisure batteries, I've checked the fuses under the drivers seat,all are ok. There seems to be no power at all to the leisure batteries from the alternator on engine startup.
I've hooked up to mains and all batteries charge with symbol on panel showing this.We do a lot of wild camping so if anyone has any thoughts on this,I'd appreciate it.
Both leisure batteries and engine battery are fairly new and do hold their charge.Is there a fuse or something stopping the engine battery charging the leisure batteries?
hAVE A LOOK NEAR THE RELY BOX YOU SHOULD FIND IT AT THE SIDE A 40 AMP

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
If you do the sums, a 900 watt mains hairdrier through an inverter is at least 75 amps at 12v. That is a very substantial current and will blow fuses, burn out relays etc. Most of the fuses will be 40 or 50 amp at most.
My wife reluctantly uses a 100 watt 12v hairdrier which is still a large current - 8 amps - although, if we are honest, its not the worlds best hairdrier. but it doesn't blow fuses!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back