Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
since 2011 after tugging.
What a great forum, like having a big brother/sister to ask when stuck, guess it was in the dealers and pay before this.

Anyways my new leisure battery seems to go flat after only 3-4 days when parked at home with nothing running, alarm off etc. I know the dormant vehicle soaks some 12v but this seems rubbish to me or is it ?

I changed the battery as a matter of course as was 2007 so thats eliminated and I even charged it in the cetek before fitting it.

As usual all thoughts great fully received.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
hI, YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE TO INVESTIGATE-SOMETHING IS ON PULLING THE POWER:Smile:(bloody caps::bigsmile:) LB should keep charged until you turn the power on -are you turning it off? before storing?
terry

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
hI, YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE TO INVESTIGATE-SOMETHING IS ON PULLING THE POWER:Smile:(bloody caps::bigsmile:) LB should keep charged until you turn the power on -are you turning it off? before storing?
terry

Hi Terry,
Ran on site on mains for three days then can home, 3 days later showing 3.2v Oh Please!.
If I leave lb on its fine but lb seems to run hot and fan hardly ever stops so tend to turn it on as and when battery low ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Paul, you have me confused but that doesn't take much ::bigsmile:
Do you turn everything off at the control panel when leaving the van?
You mention only having 3.2v in LB after acouple of days, if thats the case then I suggest you get LB checked out (it's knackered) yet you say it's new.It shouldn't ever drop below 12v and stay that way if it does then as above K ed
Try decoupling battery terminals charging it and see what you are reading after disconcerting and next day after leaving it standing then get back with readings
Terry

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Hi Paul, you have me confused but that doesn't take much ::bigsmile:
Do you turn everything off at the control panel when leaving the van?
You mention only having 3.2v in LB after acouple of days, if thats the case then I suggest you get LB checked out (it's knackered) yet you say it's new.It shouldn't ever drop below 12v and stay that way if it does then as above K ed
Try decoupling battery terminals charging it and see what you are reading after disconcerting and next day after leaving it standing then get back with readings
Terry

He he sorry no battery is new lb original. Yes all turned off and 3-4 days goes to almost flat.
I have ordered another charging lead and will fit a second battery but the drain is a worry.

Does your lb get quite warm with the fan on all the time as I'm sure my apache didn't but it was in a footlocker so not sure.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
even if your battery wasn't knackered, it is now.

A battery cannot drop to such a low voltage, even for a short time, and survive.
As it was new I suggest it was faulty from the outset and needs returning under warranty.

Also check the output of your on board charger with a multi/volt meter....it might not be working.

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
even if your battery wasn't knackered, it is now.

A battery cannot drop to such a low voltage, even for a short time, and survive.
As it was new I suggest it was faulty from the outset and needs returning under warranty.

Also check the output of your on board charger with a multi/volt meter....it might not be working.

Hello again fella, good to hear from you again.
Battery is ok, cetek gave green light after an overnight charge.
Charger works ok as when turned on its throwing about 13.4 ish out so feel battery is being pulled down rather than charge/battery ?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hello again fella, good to hear from you again.
Battery is ok, cetek gave green light after an overnight charge.
Charger works ok as when turned on its throwing about 13.4 ish out so feel battery is being pulled down rather than charge/battery ?

ok, you have something dragging it down then.

Even a light load of 1amp will pull it right down over 4 days.
A 1amp load over 96hours = 96amps.

Check for the obvious, but easily overlooked things, like a single locker or cupboard light for example.

Charge then disconnect the battery, leave a couple of days then check voltage.
As said, the battery is probably buggered now due to the previous severe discharge level but worth a try.
If it does hold a charge then it illiminates the battery as faulty.

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Good shout thanks I will do that.

Does your fan run most of the time on your charger ?

She is having 4 new tyres as we speak, michelin campings 2006 vintage sidewalls are shot, 12000 miles only. Not having those on that's for sure.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Good shout thanks I will do that.

Does your fan run most of the time on your charger ?

She is having 4 new tyres as we speak, michelin campings 2006 vintage sidewalls are shot, 12000 miles only. Not having those on that's for sure.

the fan on mine only comes on near the max charge current....which on mine is 45amps.
Most of the time the charge current is low so the charger isn't doing enough work to need cooling.

But that also makes me think you have a faulty battery....the charger is really working near, if not at, its full capacity to charge the battery...and it shouldn't need to.
once some charge is absorbed into the battery the current begins to reduce as the volts rise so it runs cooler.

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
the fan on mine only comes on near the max charge current....which on mine is 45amps.
Most of the time the charge current is low so the charger isn't doing enough work to need cooling.

But that also makes me think you have a faulty battery....the charger is really working near, if not at, its full capacity to charge the battery...and it shouldn't need to.
once some charge is absorbed into the battery the current begins to reduce as the volts rise so it runs cooler.

Mmm my thoughts also.
If you see an earlier thread on battery leads i have ordered a Sargent lead and have a brand new battery so plan to add this, and disconnect the one in situ, that should prove it out ?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
You keep insisting new battery, both myself and john have suggested giving it a charge then leaving it disconnected over night and take a reading next day or day after that way you illiminate the battery
Terry

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Yup guys I think we concurr the new battery is pants, when the other new one is in it will prove it out.
Thanks again.

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
You keep insisting new battery, both myself and john have suggested giving it a charge then leaving it disconnected over night and take a reading next day or day after that way you illiminate the battery
Terry

Just spotted how I confused you although I thought I was clear ish.

There was a New battery fitted in camper when recently bought, this is suspect one. I have just bought new leads from Sargent and a second brand new battery. It is this battery I will use to test system, the other to be removed and checked as suggested.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Paul, right with you now :Smile:fit new battery take reading then leave over night and take reading but make sure everything is turned off at control panel. There should be nothing pulling the battery down :winky:
Terry

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Hi Paul, right with you now :Smile:fit new battery take reading then leave over night and take reading but make sure everything is turned off at control panel. There should be nothing pulling the battery down :winky:
Terry

Roger that will do, battery bringing home from work tommorrow so can so quickly but will put on Cetek for 24 hours first to ensure in a good state.

Just also awaiting Sargent lead, the one I received has wrong plug on annoyingly.

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Well my little battery Ninjas so far it's,
Brand new battery on cetek and all fully charged, fitted in camper and display says 12.7v with nothing turned on so let's see what 24 hours brings.

The removed suspect battery is on the cetek out of interest and either taking a very long time to charge or is duff, I'm hoping duff then as you guys said this proves the battery is a duffer.

I will advise on e there is news.

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Looking good chaps.
New battery installed display said 12.7, 48 hours later 12.4 which I think is great, you guys ?

Funny thing the suspect battery I stuck on the cetek and it charged and got very hot then after about 15 hours it went to Green!!
Seems like ( sounds daft) the battery had a blockage which the van charger couldn't pass, is this possible ?

I have a bulb on this battery to fully discharge it then I will cetek it again to see if scrap/good but measures 12.7v.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Looking good chaps.
New battery installed display said 12.7, 48 hours later 12.4 which I think is great, you guys ?

Funny thing the suspect battery I stuck on the cetek and it charged and got very hot then after about 15 hours it went to Green!!
Seems like ( sounds daft) the battery had a blockage which the van charger couldn't pass, is this possible ?

I have a bulb on this battery to fully discharge it then I will cetek it again to see if scrap/good but measures 12.7v.

Don't fully discharge the battery as that will kill it even if it isn't dead already. A battery should only be discharged down to about 12.2v which will be around 50%, anything below this will damage it.

edit : Don't rely on the voltage on the panel until you have checked it against a reliable meter, they aren't always very accurate. Mine reads 0.5V lower than actual, which is fine as long as you know how far out it is.

Last edited:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
just a though, have you got a light in some under floor locker that MAY have been switched on? on my m/h there is such a beast and the switch is right next to the door step switch, somebody (who shall remane nameless but is not me) gets then mixed up

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Looking good chaps.

you have something on :Eeek:
:winky:
terry

peter H

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2008
Neath, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Nearly 4 years
I'm old fashioned, don't have a satellite system in the van, but do have a terrestrial aerial, this has an amplifier fitted. If its on over night my leisure battery goes down 20%, if its off about 5%.

Look for little led lights somewhere.

Peter

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back