May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
Hi

We have a 2013 Auto Trail Trivago Tribute on a Transit chassis, and after standing for a few days, the Leisure battery is flat. The battery has been off the vehicle all winter, is in good condition and the problem has just started. As far as I know everything electrical was turned off and when I turned the Control Panel on and selected Leisure battery the low voltage (<9volts) alarm went off, and voltage measured across battery terminals with a meter confirmed this

The Power Supply unit is a Sargent EC155 and the Control Panel is an EC51

Broken Link Removed

With everything electrical turned off, including the Control Panel, a bulb connected in series into the battery cable glows and I think the current flow measurement is about 0.2Amps, or 2.5 Watts of power

I have removed fuses from the Power Supply unit, in turn, and the 2 fuses that stop the current flow are

1. No 8 - A 5 amp fuse marked "Permanent Supply" (Radio/Fridge)
2. No 10 - A 20 amp fuse marked "Leisure Battery"

The Dometic fridge appears to work on Fuse No1, which is also marked fridge (non compressor type) and the fridge is not effected by fuse No8 being pulled. I assume the reference to radio, is if a radio was fitted in the habitation area, as the cab radio is the standard Ford unit and is powered from the vehicle battery

I am fairly certain that all electrical items are turned off, and assume that if the Control Panel is off, then they get no power anyway. I will have another look inside after dark in case any light shows

Sorry for the long explanation. Please can anyone suggest any reason for the current drain and the fairly rapid battery discharge, or a visit to the dealer will be needed

TIA

Last edited:

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
We had a similar issue with our 2006 Autotrail Tracker, transpired to be the reversing camera/screen permanently drawing power if not isolated via the switches in the cupboard where the Sargent EC200 and entertainment system reside. I think the same scenario was also reported by another forum member, but I've no idea this could also be your issue.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
With a drain that high and fremoving the fridge fuse stops it i think you answered your own question......the fridge 12v relay is stuck closed....though why it should be draining the hab battery is a mystery, it should be wired to the engine battery.

Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
Clickem

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
We have a reversing camera. I would have expected it to have been wired through the ignition, but I have just checked and it is powered from the Leisure battery

I was wondering if it is only a problem when the vehicle is parked in reverse, but unfortunately not

Thank you very much for the pointers

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Ignore the above post....just read your post again.

Pulling fuse #8 removes the load Its obviously something on fuse #8 and pulling fuse #10 effectively removes the battery from circuit so will have the same effect

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Clickem

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
The reversing camera and screen are wired through fuse number 8, an accessories fuse, and therein lies my problem

Many thanks

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi had a quick look and I suspect your radio is powered via the leisure battery..It would explain the drop in the drain current (200ma.)you mention when you pull the fuse..
You seem to indicate that you don't think this is so and is off the vehicle battery..and that may be the case but worth checking.
However that drain shouldn't flatten a fully charged healthy battery in two days . There has been something else drawing more current or the battery wasn't in a good state of charge or condition......but you said it was so you are back to finding the higher current drain....
Hope you get sorted ...maybe someone familiar with your set up may be of some help.
Ta andy

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Lol ignore that see you are sorted...(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Years ago I fitted an isolation switch for the supply to the camera, I noticed that the infra-red led's were lit at night. Sorry but I can't remember the draw on the battery but it did flatten it in three weeks.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back