Leisure battery current drain (1 Viewer)

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
We've just taken delivery of a new Burstner Nexxo T660. It's been sitting in the drive since Thursday afternoon and I checked the voltage on the monitor panel tonight and it says hab battery is 12V. So immediately plugged in to the mains. 90Ah battery. MH is alarmed and the media unit (one of these fancy Zenec all singing/dancing things) is connected to the leisure battery (or so dealer told us). I'm a bit concerned about such a quick drop in volts. I'll put a meter in circuit to check the drain tomorrow (but a bit concerned about disconnecting the battery from everything (EBL99 fitted)). Is this to be expected on a modern MH? We've not knowingly put any load on the leisure battery.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Sadly, yes.
Many modern motorhomes put 1 amp or more drain on the battery all the times.
Make sure EVERYTHING that can be turned off is turned off.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
With ELB in standby and your stero in standby battery should last at least couple of weeks maybe 3 weeks.

Was the battery fully charged when you took delivery & what type of battery ?
If it's a Banner AGM like Hymer fit, when used with a ELB99 needs to be on the gel setting and once at 14.3 v will hold at that voltage for 8 hours for a full charge. Still will not be quite a full charge as the ELB does not have an AGM setting, but appears to work OK on our Hymer.

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Jay,
Thanks for confirming that. My last van was 10 years old so less sophisticated. If it's normal then I don't have to worry about anything being wrong.
Bartiny,
I have two 130W solar panels in my hall along with ally angle and Sikaflex! So solar is on it's way. I've spent the last two days routing the wires from the roof (dealer installed cables through the roof to keep hab warranty intact). If anyone wants to know where to route solar cables for this van let me know. I know down to the last screw what needs removing (quite a lot) to avoid drilling any holes!

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
As already stated your control panel will draw around 1 amp or a little more ALL the time whilst switch on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
Not familiar with your exact van & its equipment but many have a frost protection device on the boiler which draws .5 amp plus the draw from the control panel etc.
With a 1 amp draw on a 90amp battery it will be flat in 48 hours (following the 50% rule).

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I'd switched the control panel off. I had been told that the frost stat was mechanical and not electrically driven. I'll check before I disconnect the battery and all the water drops out!

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
I'd switched the control panel off. I had been told that the frost stat was mechanical and not electrically driven. I'll check before I disconnect the battery and all the water drops out!
Which is why I said I am not familiar with the OP's van, some are mechanical & some are electrical.
I know mine is mechanical but I also know of those who have lost all their water when a fuse blows or they disconnect the battery.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If it's a c6 or c4 it will be mechanical and valve will have a blue knob, the older combi's had an electrical one with a red knob and they only draw 35ma not half an amp.

I suggest you hook up to the mains for a couple of days to get the battery fully charged then disconnect from mains and turn of control panel and monitor the battery voltage and see how it goes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back