Leisure Battery connection help

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by con-tiki, Jul 26, 2012.

1. con-tiki

con-tiki Funster

I want to add another leisure battery. What is the connection I need to connect the 2 batteries

Shirl

2. darklord

darklord Read Only Funster

:BigGrin:In its simplest form, all you need to do is join the two batteries with a length of red cable and a length of black cable (live and earth). Battery connectors (live and earth) are purchased from any car spares shop and cost about a quid each. You just connect live to live and negative to negative, both batteries will then be charged and avai;lable for use.

There are loads of more complicated and expensive ways of doing it, with a miriad of gadgets to fit .........if you want to.:BigGrin:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  3. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

+FUSE to FUSE+
    - to -

That's the easy bit, but how far away will the new battery be ?

If they are very close the fuses might not be needed.

4. con-tiki

con-tiki Funster

they will be more or less next to eachother....Does it matter that the batteries are not the same power...125amp and a 85 amp? I dont think there is enough room to add a bigger battery

Shirl

5. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Shirl, no it does not matter but make sure to get a test on the old battery to make sure it is good :thumb:
    terry

6. hilldweller

No problem. Since there is little chance of the + cable shorting to ground ( you route it well ) then a single fuse, 50A should do just in case one battery fails dramatically. Halfords will sell you fuse, cable and connectors. They do some small reels of pretty thick loudspeaker cable. Colour does not matter of course.

7. con-tiki

con-tiki Funster

Where do I site the fuse? I have bought a positive and negative cable which has round connectors on and a set of 2 battery terminal adapters from Halfords.

Shirl

8. hilldweller

In the positive link, you'll have to break the wire and graft in the fuse, then if either batter suddenly shorted out ( very unlikely ) instead of the cable setting on fire the fuse pops.

If the positive cable was long or at risk of shorting to chassis ( the battery negative ) you'd put a fuse close to each battery + to protect both of them.