Leisure Battery Charging (1 Viewer)

?

Deleted User
I am thinking of this on a self build. Will the van's alternator cope with a manual switch charging system? I was keeping things simple and this looks simple enough for me

Broken Link Removed

When the switch is on to charge the leisure then the alternator is charging two. I was thinking this may be a strain on the alternator output.

OP
OP
?

Deleted User
Cheers for that. Just pulled the picture from Google pictures so never seen the site. This is just a budget van so looking to spend little as possible getting it up and running. The next van will be done with a relay. I will only have a couple of LED lights and a radio on in the evening so a small battery should do.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yes, it will work just fine when the emgine is running but as Jim said.....once the engine is off it will discharge the engine battery if you forget to turn it off.
Thats bad enough but if its left on and you start the engine it will blow the fuse, you wont realise this of course....until you find the hab battery is flat, even though you just drove for hundreds of miles

Thats the reason for using an automatic split charge relay.

Reactions: DBK
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
A relay pulled from a scrap car & one extra (thin) wire to the alternator & you have split charge. Shouldn't cost more than £5 if you buy the relay new.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Yo. I managed to fit a split charge relay to the LMH mesen :)

The kit was about £50 from Ebay.
If you ask nicely I'll send you the linky :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
?

Deleted User
the relay will not cost much more than the switch

Six quid for a switch. I would not know where to start with a relay pulled from a car and this wire that @tonyidle is talking about. Where on the alternator would this go?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back