Leisure Battery advice.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by hdvrod, Feb 4, 2013.

1. hdvrod

hdvrod Read Only Funster

Realise this has probably been asked before,but tried trawling through the "search" with not a lot of success.I bought a 110 amp leisure battery about 12 months ago,and it has apparently died on me,have been periodically charging it when not in use,but will only hold the charge now for about 2 days.As i recollect it was around £80,dont know if that is too cheap? so some advice as to my next purchase would be appreciated,what is the ideal amperage and what sort of price should I be looking to pay,Thank you.

2. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

Did you buy off the shelf - may have had an effect due to age.

Most leisure batteries (that we sell anyway) are good for 400 cycles. A cycle is drain, then recharge. This can be affected if left on chrage for long periods - or for fulltimers on hook-up - get a maintainer to discharge excess.

Most batteries we supply will start at 100-140 pounds for 110ah, and work very well. Had one on the motorhome for 5 years with no issues, got a dual purpose on the caravan for 2 years no issues (the caravan is a killer for power!) So they last ok with good management.

What brand of leisure is it and did it have a warranty or not.

• Like Like x 1
  3. movan

movan Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  4. Philcott

Philcott Read Only Funster

I'm confused to! So glad you asked the question Movan

• Like Like x 1
  5. rainbow chasers

In an ideal world......yes - but that doesn't happen! Very rarely anyone would recharge only when it is flat. It would optimise it (so long as it was done as soon as flat and not left)

What will damage a battery is if it is constantly on charge through hook-up. This will 'cook' it. You need to allow the battery to drain, and then recharge to keep it fit an healthy.

The same ethics as you phone and lap top batteries - keep them plugged in and your battery won't last long - let them cycle and they will last full life expectency.

Sorry Joy - a Battery maintainer will trickle charge and drain you battery for you in effect 'faking' perfect use.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  6. bungy

bungy Funster

would this not depend on the type of onboard charger you have, mine, for example, is a 4 stage charger, the 4th stage being a standby mode that only 'kicks' in again when the voltage drops below 13v - so it manages the drain and recharge cycle on hook up - so it is left on hook up at home all the time...also keeps the hab battery topped up as well. And in 2 years no problems what so ever

May well have been in days gone by with Nickel-cadmium (Ni-Cd) and Nickel Metal Hydride (Ni-MH), but modern(at least last 2-3 years) gadgets use Li-Ion batteries and have in built charging controls, they have no memory effect, which means that you do not have to completely discharge them before recharging...snippet...

"Overcharging Li-ion batteries is not a problem and does not affect the battery life span. These batteries can be charged 300 to 500 times, and they have an internal circuit to stop the charging process at full charge.

The control system prevents overcharging, which can cause the lithium ion battery to overheat and potentially burn. This is why the Li-ion batteries are more expensive. The only way for the Li-ion battery to overcharge is if the charging system malfunctions, and then the battery will heat up while in the charger."

• Like Like x 2
  7. rainbow chasers

For best optimisation, the maintainer will allow the battery to drain far below 13v and bring it back up. They will also pulse to allow discharge of depsoits on the cells.

Some chargers built in will do this, some will not. It may be that yours has a maintainer on it. You will only know if any effect has been made by how long you can stay off grid - and you cannot give a set time, unless you know what you are consuming.

As for laptop batteries, newer ones are much better - but like I said, left on charge, it will use up it's 300 cycles or in under a year! Say 18 months at best.

My battery is shot - lasting only 20 mins at best now....but it is 7 years old!

8. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Rubbish.

• Like Like x 16
  9. rainbow chasers

Just going on what the manufacturers tell me! They make them, so they know best!:Wink:

10. Terry

Terry Funster

Rubbish and gullable :Smile:
    terry

11. bungy

bungy Funster

Charge cycle... there is a whole new topic in itself:Rofl1:

As i understand it ...

a leisure battery is designed, on average, for 500 cycles @ 60% depth of discharge i.e one cycle is from 60% to full. So, if you discharge one day to 80% and recharge and then do the same the next day - that is only 1 charge cycle - not 2- and if you are on hook up a lot a charge cycle could take quite a while to be 'consumed' - especially if it is just on hook up at home. A lot depends on the battery, the charger (3 or 4 stage) and usage profile...so no one size fits all i guess.

For us, we move about a lot and our usage is quite low so rarely get below 80% (250ah total) and can easily last 6+ days before were getting down to needing a recharge - even in winter we can go at least 4 days off hook before needing a boost

for comparison....a Li-Ion batteries charge cycle is 0-100%, so in this scenario if the phone is discharged to 80% and then charged to 100% it only counts as .2 of a charge cycle i.e. you could do that 5 times before a full charge cycle is used, so on this basis the average 300 charge cycle of a li-ion means you can plug your phone into the charger 1500 times before you start getting into the realms of diminishing battery power...

12. bungy

bungy Funster

im sure they do....the deeper a battery is discharged and then recharged the quicker the charge cycles get used up...meaning more sales :Wink:

• Like Like x 2
  13. hdvrod

hdvrod Read Only Funster

Looks like I've opened a hornets nest:Smile: But still none the wiser for the record My charger is intelligent charger (unlike me) when on site with hookup I dont usually leave it on,but switch on maybe once a day till I get a good reading.But back to the question what amperage should I get and how much should I pay?

14. Terry

Terry Funster

110 amp hr around 65 quidish :Smile:
    terry

15. hdvrod

hdvrod Read Only Funster

Cant see last post as usual so have to type something :Sad:By the way put it charge today and its fully charged again just not holding it?

16. Terry

Terry Funster

Can you see this ?
    110 amp hr around 65 quidish
    terry

17. Daveo2006

Daveo2006 Read Only Funster

Read too much into this malarky,im just gonna keep my cycles on the new rack i just bought where they belong.:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  18. bungy

bungy Funster

not a straight forward question to answer on what ampeage

best bet is to work out what your usage is and go from there, if you are a heavy user get as big as you can get, or cut down usage with LED's etc, or put 2 batteries in

Ive got 2 of these

http://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/125-ah-xplorerleisure-battery/

had them for 2 years and still going strong

Have to say though....12months isn't a lot for a new battery, but then it could possibly have been stood on a shelf for a while in a low state of charge before you bought it, so it could already have been 'damaged'

19. hdvrod

hdvrod Read Only Funster

Thanks for that,just looked on their website 110 amp 3 year warranty £79 do me:Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  20. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

This may help
    Bought a pair of 115amph from these guys early last year free postage next day delivery 4 years warranty
    working fine with my solar system they supply lots to folk on canal boats etc quite helpful on the phone good luck :Smile:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-SEALE...tEquipment_Accessories_SM&hash=item416ec9c065