Leisure Batteries (1 Viewer)

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
I know from the information I've gleaned on here that my two leisure batteries are best matched.
In our "new to us" MH which we collect on the 1st June there is an 85 amp/h battery under the driver seat fully filling the available space and I have a similar but not identical 95 amp/h 1 year old battery, which I plan in the short term,to add to it.
Can I ask what damage I'll do to the mis- matched batteries or to anything else?
Thank you again
Ian

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I will go with Brian on t his one, as long as they are both flooded lead or whatever it should be OK.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thank you guys

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
The leisure battery in my Fiat goes under the passenger seat at the front but there is room for two batteries; just.
You should not mix leisure batteries with Starter Batteries, they have different properties and I understand that if you fit an 85 ah and a 95 ah battery in parallel, the effect will be to have only the benefit of the lowest powered battery x 2

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
The leisure battery in my Fiat goes under the passenger seat at the front but there is room for two batteries; just.
You should not mix leisure batteries with Starter Batteries, they have different properties and I understand that if you fit an 85 ah and a 95 ah battery in parallel, the effect will be to have only the benefit of the lowest powered battery x 2
Hi -Unlike your arrangement the battery under the drivers seat is the Leisure battery. The starter battery is in the engine compartment.Thanks for your response.
Ian

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Need to know how old the battery in the M/H is ideally both batteries age should be less than one year different in age.
If fitting under the seats I personally would only fit a fully sealed battery either a Gel or AGM.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
A 20ah battery joined to a 5000ah battery will give you a total capacity of 5020ah

Your charger can only see one large battery, it cannot differentiate between batteries of different ah rates.

Same applies to discharging the batteries....power is drawn from the total capacity of both batteries, not one battery before the other.

Absolutely no problem mixing different ah ratings...age and condition on the other hand, can be battery killers.
an old battery wont be as efficient as a new battery and will pull the new one down to the same efficiency as the old, worn out one

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thank you for that clear explanation pappajohn.
Ian

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Hi -Unlike your arrangement the battery under the drivers seat is the Leisure battery. The starter battery is in the engine compartment.Thanks for your response.
Ian
Hi
It is a leisure battery under my passenger seat and there is (just) room for two batteries there. Sorry if I explained myself badly.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi
It is a leisure battery under my passenger seat and there is (just) room for two batteries there. Sorry if I explained myself badly.
No please don't apologise you have just made me aware that there might be either a battery under the"captains" passenger seat that I am presently not aware of ,or if there isn't, a real possibility of fitting one in there.
I don't get the MH handed over until the 1st June and can't wait for that day. I'll certainly check this idea well out
Thanks again
Ian

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back