leisure batteries on permanent charge (1 Viewer)

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
haven't used the motorhome for a few weeks now , and it suddenly occurred to me that the batteries are being constantly charged by the array of solar panels

so I put the meter on the 12v output to see what voltage they were actually showing ...answer ...13.9 volts

question is , is it ok to constantly keep the batteries at this voltage[ well , not overnight I presume ], I am aware that the amperage isn't that great , but don't really know if the batteries being kept under charge will suffer any damage at this level

any info on this ?

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
unless your solar charge regulator is faulty the charge rate will have reduced to a milliamp float charge and is quite normal. the charge rate will rise as you put a load on it.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
There are some cheap (14 euros) non smart chargers about that use a simple relay to turn the charge on and off. They take the charge voltage up to 14.2v then turn the charge of until the voltage comes down to 12.6v.

I have had one for about 4 years and it works great, when the MH is not in use the battery's take over a week until the voltage has dropped low enough to start the charging again.

Doug...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

atakd

Free Member
Nov 15, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since '99
Some info below I got when posting on solar charging on a sailing forum. I decided to stay with my basic regulator but if it fails I will probably upgrade to a PWM.

----------------------------------------------------------
I have a 40W panel and one of these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-100w-12v-7...item2c529960ff

regulators. When the panel charges the battery in bright sunlight the voltage rises rapidly then charging ceases for a while, then resumes.
My question is, do all regulators deliver pulsed charging, meaning precious periods of sunlight go unused, or is a regulator available which limits charging current whilst delivering a safe, continuous charge? Or does it make no difference?
TIA
Andy

----------------------------------------------------------
progress.gif

I recently went thru this for a 30W panel. Basic advice on here was to get a PWM (pulse width modulation) regulator- much more efficient than standard regulator and not much more money- cost about £15-£20 and I paid £28.99 for a 2 battery unit.

Better still is evidently a MPPT regulator (multi-point tracking- about 30% more efficient than PWM) but these are still pretty costly- cheapest about £50-£75 for a single battery unit on Ebay.

If you want an LCD readout for charging rate, battery state and charge etc, then these units are normaly £100+, tho I did get an add on meter for mine for £36, which was pretty good value I feel.

HTH​

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back