Leisure Batteries on Amber (1 Viewer)

Jul 6, 2012
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just One Year
Hiya, Would love a little advice please.

I installed a solar panel , solar controller and additional leisure battery. Controller charges vehicle battery then leisure batteries. Has worked great for 3 months but now I find I only go to amber. I did not change original battery and wonder whether it is likely that connecting in parallel to new battery has caused cell failure on old battery (5 years old) or is it the controller. The controller is telling me that vehicle battery is fully charged but leisure battery is constantly charging but I do not register a full charge. Would like to have a view on systematic diagnostic check to follow.
Look forward to responses with baited breath
Neville:Doh:

May 6, 2010
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Exp
April 2010
What size is your leisure bank battery ? What size is your panel ? What sort of amps is your charge controller saying you are putting in ? Have you got a battery monitor ?
Is it only getting to amber while you are in the van & using it or when it is parked up not being used ?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi if it was working for 3 mths and your battery is 5 yrs old it suggests the LB is goosed---check LB on it's own and replace :winky:
Terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
G
Jul 6, 2012
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just One Year
Hiya

We are talking 120watt solar panel and 2 x 90 batteries (matched) connected in parallel. After prolonged spells of sunshine the control panel leisure battery monitor only shows amber whereas before it showed green. Nothing is switched on and the controller appears to be functioning as the vehicle battery charge indicator on the controller shows that it is fully charged and I have a green display on the control panel battery monitor. It would appear that the leisure battery is not getting a full charge. If a cell was malfunctioning on the old leisure battery I had thought it would still illuminate green on the control panel battery monitor but discharge faster.
Should I replace the old leisure battery as a matter of course. I assumed because it showed a decent output on my battery tester that I could avoid replacement. I have since read that perhaps the old battery should have been renewed at the same time. :Eeek:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi simply go to your car spares shop and ask them to test both LBs --our local shop can test them seperatly while in situ with a fancy tester :thumb: but if yours has not got one they will have a load tester but this may require you taking them out for the test-- if the tests say batts ok then start looking at the charging system for faults :winky:
terry

May 6, 2010
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Exp
April 2010
Hiya, Would love a little advice please.

I installed a solar panel , solar controller and additional leisure battery. Controller charges vehicle battery then leisure batteries. Has worked great for 3 months but now I find I only go to amber. I did not change original battery and wonder whether it is likely that connecting in parallel to new battery has caused cell failure on old battery (5 years old) or is it the controller. The controller is telling me that vehicle battery is fully charged but leisure battery is constantly charging but I do not register a full charge. Would like to have a view on systematic diagnostic check to follow.
Look forward to responses with baited breath
Neville:Doh:

How does it do this ? Is the engine battery linked to the leisure's by some sort of split charger ? Could your engine battery be using what amps are being generated (alarm system radio on standby etc) and then passing on very little to your leisure's, could you possibly connect the output of your charge controller to the leisure bank for a few days & see if that gets them up to charged state
Ps If your going to invest in new leisure batteries 6v Trojan's non better !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back