Leisure Batteries not Charging! (1 Viewer)

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
Hi Funsters
I keep my James Cook permanently on electrical hook-up when we are at home.
However, I just noticed that the battery levels were down to 10.9v instead of showing 13+v as when it's on charge.
Further investigation and it seems that there is no current getting to the batteries.
When I took it out for a spin the batteries were charging again.
When I parked up and plugged in again the visual display again showed no charging.
It does, however, show that I am on mains hook-up.
I have taken the unit out to get at the fuses inside and they are all OK.
Any ideas what's up?:Sad:
Mike

Attachments

• jc44.jpg
    jc44.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 39
  • jc33.jpg
    jc33.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 38
  • jc22.jpg
    jc22.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 42
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
has it got a leisure battery charging mains switch? the big red one! could have been knocked off..:Eeek: or... how about you 230v consumer unit has a trip gone.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
are any 230v appliances working ?.

Could be a breaker in the vans fusebox has tripped,[STRIKE] the hookup lead is faulty, the breaker in the house has tripped [/STRIKE]or the charger could be faulty..

Edited.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
ojibway

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
has it got a leisure battery charging mains switch? the big red one! could have been knocked off..:Eeek: or... how about you 230v consumer unit has a trip gone.
The big red switch is on!

philk

Free Member
Jul 21, 2011
Lancs
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Batteries not charging

Mike,

On board chargers can fail independently of the rest of the system, my 12 month Pilote had a similar issue. For a short term fix, assuming you have 240 v live, rig up a battery charger from a mains socket to the leisure batteries and also try to establish if your battery charger only or your whole 12 v system is down.

Phil

OP
OP
ojibway

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
Mike,

On board chargers can fail independently of the rest of the system, my 12 month Pilote had a similar issue. For a short term fix, assuming you have 240 v live, rig up a battery charger from a mains socket to the leisure batteries and also try to establish if your battery charger only or your whole 12 v system is down.

Phil

Hi Phil,
the 12v system is working.
Thats sounds like a good idea, using an independent charger.
What sort of charger should I get? The leisure batteries are gel and need very slow charging. Can I charge through the ciggi lighter socket that runs off the leisure batteries?
The good thing about the charging unit is that it can be removed easily - just pull out he mains feed plug and the outlet plugs and remove four screws. It can be checked out then by someone who knows what they are doing. Don't know if it's auto electric or domestic electric person?!
Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back